Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Trigger survey? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Trigger survey?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trigger survey?  (Read 1889 times)
imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Trigger survey?
« on: Nov 10th, 2005, 11:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone ever put yogether a list of things reported to trigger a CH?
I have read alcohol,  and I can vouch for that, my usual shopt and beer during Sunday ond Monday night football games are a definate no no during a cycle, but ice cream in the evening also seems to intensify that nights attack. I wonder if it's the sugar.
Also, I find that the attacks happen quite often during a dream. Again, I have read something about the correlation to REM during sleep. I wonder if there is a medication that would block dreaming, there bye reducing this as an agent of 'IT'.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Trigger survey?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 11:25am »

Just found an old thread that many readers state their triggers in. Man, it seems it could be anything.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 11:58am »

dayum, I thought this was about Roy Roger's horse...
but seriously folks...

alcohol
exhaust fumes
cleaning CHemicals (bleach, ammonia, etc.)
perfume
too much sunlight on the noggin'
naps
CHaos
MSG
pressure CHanges...
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2005, 2:14pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 12:08pm »

Time zone changes.
Day light savings time
Air travel above 28K feet
Any beer other than Miller High Life
Chardonay wine
Large swings in temperature.
Fall
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 1:09pm »

That is not good news, I leave for Vegas on monday and I doubt the cycle will be over. I thought I was getting off without a hit last night. Thought I fooled the beast. No ice cream, no alcohol, slept sitting up. All it did was make him hit the snooze button. Got hit at 6:40 instead of 2 am. Wasn't as bad as usual though. It's all good as they say.
IP Logged

MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 2:03pm »

Triggers,

Everything especially alcohol, or salad dressings, perfumes, Intense and glaring light, TV, Relaxation.  

Interesting about flying. Last week I logged about 6000 miles and not once did I get hit on the planes. It was a real fear. So I upgraded from biz class to 1st class at the gates. (only 75.00 each flight, Told them I had severe claustraphobia one upgrade was free when I said I go into a severe state of panic, I dont) Had front row seats with noone next to me. I lost the social fear of an attack and they never happened on the plane. It was worth every penny.
I did get hit pretty hard in the PHX airport about an hour before flight. I gave some entertainment for those waiting. with my bag on my shoulder I paced so hard up and down the terminal I think I wore a trail in the rug.
IP Logged

MJ
Lastdaddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

My II's are always open !!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12th, 2005, 12:19pm »

Alcohol a definite , especially Dark Rum and in Cycle for me , cheap perfumes like Avon, Very stressful times which I believe brought this current cycle on, as soon as I disassociated myself from this problem they seemed to dwindle to an end With a big help from my 1st shot of o2. Bright light and noise may not bring it on for me but definitely make it worse. I ran a Meat Dept in a supermarket. During one cycle I closed it down everyday for 4 weeks for an hour. The noise of the Grinders and the Band saw's were too much for me to handle  !!I feel basicly when you're in cycle Just about anything can be a potential trigger Just some of the things I listed more than others.

Have a Regular Head Day,
        Nico

IP Logged

Lastdaddy/Nico/Daddy
Billy_Ray
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 4:56am »

Hi.New here. Many times just talking to much will trigger pressure that will then go into a Cluster. Also the weather can be a big trigger. Billy
IP Logged
jangus
New Board Newbie
USA 

From under the Redwood Canopy

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 1:34am »

any kind of nuts, cheese, tomatos, alcohol, coconut (including the milk which is in a lot of Asian style cooking) msg (Chinese food), nicotene, shell fish, chocolate, video screen, ... yeah, I'd have to agree with the "talking too much" comment, or just plain too much activity in too short a period of time. It seems these headaches are sending a message like, "... take it easy... slow down your life a bit... too much too fast is not good.... Yoga helps... breathing exercises help... visualize the bad energy leaving your body on the exhale... good energy entering on the intake.

Hope this helps some of you.
IP Logged

"Don't 'cha touch hard liquor,
just a cup of cold coffee...
gonna get up in the morning
and go."
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 2:07am »

on Nov 21st, 2005, 1:34am, jangus wrote:
or just plain too much activity in too short a period of time. It seems these headaches are sending a message like, "... take it easy... slow down your life a bit... too much too fast is not good....

Not for me.  
For me it's the "take it easy...slow down your life a bit" that brings on the attacks. It's always after the "too much activity". The attacks come on after the stress.

Here's what imnotbub said at the beginning of this thread.
on Nov 10th, 2005, 11:11am, imnotbub wrote:
Also, I find that the attacks happen quite often during a dream. Again, I have read something about the correlation to REM during sleep.

There's not much stress during REM sleep, but a lot of relaxing after to much activity.

imnotbub....try melatonin or Benedryl Benydrl Benadril Oh, screw it, try melatonin to help keep you out of the REM sleep mode.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 2:19am »

Ditto what Bob said.  Wink

Stay stressed, never relax, "never sleep".
IP Logged

MJ
kkaye

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 2:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Actually, ice cream related headaches (brain freeze) is a pleasure as it ends so quickly Smiley  I use susceptability to that as an indicator for impending CH period.

In my experience dreams are not a cause, but remembering them a result of the headaches is an effect as you are being woken up during them ... and of course the headache insinuates itself into the dream in most cases.

I fly a lot through the country and have noticed low pressure on planes and in some cases regional weather does have an effect, but not as a trigger for a CH series ... only as such for a particular or limited number of specific episodes.   It's obviously not a concern if you are at the point of having 6+ headaches per day anyway, but a definitely a consideration if starting a series or otherwise not at that level in a cycle or of CH in general.

Alcohol, yes (again specific instances), but it seems to be sporadic.  I've also heard coffee as a cause but never experienced any problem there.
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 2:52am »

Ice cream headaches as an indicator.

I never really paid much attention to that.
 Now that you have mentioned it K. Seems I was getting them fairly often before this cycle just by eating cold applesauce or a cold beverage. hmmm

Nah I'm gonna forget about it or I'll be expecting a CH every time. Interesting point though.
IP Logged

MJ
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 3:29am »

Back in 2000 a guy named Arnold made up his mind to find a common trigger for CH. He tried and tried and tried and tried. As far as I know he NEVER found a common trigger. But he was amazed that some of us could drink, while others couldn't go near alcohol, some of us could smoke, while others couldn't be around smoke, and so on and so on.

I'm with Bob G -- give me stress -- I'll usually stay pain free, but let me relax and WHAM!!!!! I'm down for the count! One time I got hit at a Chinese Restaurant - never again, so I don't guess MSG is a trigger for me. Since taking Melatonin, I'm getting thru the REM sleep and getting rest at night so I make it thru the days without the exhaustion I used to suffer - keeps me fairly sane (and YES, I said, "fairly"!!) Beer triggered me 10-12 years ago so I didn't drink Beer for 10-12 years. Last year I drank a couple of beers and nada, so I drink a beer occasionally now. Go figure! Other alcohol doesn't seem to bother me. (unless you count hangovers - and I try to avoid them as much as possible - birthdays and holidays don't count).  

I think everyone has to find his/her own triggers and avoid them if possible. Then the beast changes his mind and goes to something else. If you haven't figured it out yet - there's no rhyme or reason to these damn things....  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 3:35am »

have to agree with bobg staying stressed helps me
never sleep is good too
beer a definate
oil based paints etc
but funnily enough not petrol or diesel
msg a big no no when i am in a 'bad phase'
ian
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #15 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 3:51am »

I'll be honest and in 30 years I have never, ever worked out a trigger.  They come when they're ready and leave when they're ready and that's that.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 11:13am »

Triiggers: Time change, heat, hotdogs, laundry detergent smells, television, all alcoholic beverages.  

And to verify the theory of rem as a trigger. That's definitely what happens with me.
I have been able to wake myself up just prior to rem (i know it sounds silly)  but it avoids the CH until I drift on past that point,  then I awake with the rocking.  I researched the med's that could affect rem and the only product available at that time was melatonin to affect sleep cycles.  It didn't work for me.   Someone else posted about the Ambien a new
'sleeping pill'  that worked well for them.  I haven't tried that but will when my cycle returns.  

PF d's & nt's to everyone.   And sending all fellow sufferers strength and clarity.
IP Logged

Susan
Sleepyman
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 2:04pm »

Two things do it for me for sure. The REM sleep and sudden changes in the temp. If I go from cold to hot (dry) its almost always triggers a headache.
IP Logged
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 22nd, 2005, 1:51am »

Everytime I get into a cycle, I have noticed that the triggers change. However the two most common things are ALcohol, and anything with MSG !!! I did a stupid thing last week where I finally started to feel better, and made myself a Rum/Coke with dinner. Needless to say I couldn't finish dinner and then had this aura for four days--the usual numb dull aching with sharp attacks every 2 hours. I hate these headaches because I feel like I am missing something--everybody is excited about Thanksgiving and I'm nervous as hell wondering when the next big attack will occur. Well God must have given us these things because he knows we're strong enough to handle it! Good luck to everyone....
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 25th, 2005, 10:57am »

And I almost forgot----PEANUT BUTTER !! I mean anything to do with Peanut Butter--i.e.--candy , or ice cream as well..
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #20 on: Nov 25th, 2005, 11:35am »

The one thing that can break through my regular defense is more than about 6 ozs of dark chocolate.  Four for four co-relation in the last year.
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 26th, 2005, 6:30am »

Kevin!
Are you telling me NOT to send you my famous chocolate chip cookies this year???? You've never said a WORD!!!!
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #22 on: Nov 26th, 2005, 1:10pm »

A couple or three years ago I posted a list of triggers. There was somewhere between 100 and 72,000 triggers. I forget the exact number. I was told never to post the list again. The poor people with dial-up connections had to wait 17.5 hours for it to load.

I have no idea where the list is. And I'm not going looking for it. But, I think Marc might know. But, I don't know where Marc is. And I'm not going looking for him.

Hey Marc, you out there?

No wait. Maybe it wasn't Marc. Maybe it was Mark.

Hey Mark, are you out there? Do you know where Marc is?
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
cazman
New Board Veteran
USA 

if ya dont like it take a walk

kingcazman
Email

« Reply #23 on: Nov 27th, 2005, 1:55pm »

i have spent hours upon hours trying to figure that out. one thing for sure is Alcohol so much that i do not drink at all anymore even when im pf , other than that ill have to go with assie, it happens when it happens wich in my opinion SUCKS.
IP Logged
stevea
New Board Newbie
USA 

Glad CH.com exists!!

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:31pm »

I hadn't had a drink in two years during one cycle.  So alcohol isn't the only trigger.

Anyone ever think that just by thinking about it (and why would we?) can actually bring it on?  It does when I am in the middle of a cycle.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss