Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Trigger survey? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Trigger survey?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trigger survey?  (Read 1892 times)
Orion
New Board Newbie
USA 

This too shall pass ......

Re: Trigger survey?
« Reply #25 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 2:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am glad to see so many TV references to triggers.  In my last cycle in 03 I posted about watching movies being a trigger and I didn't get many or possibly anyone saying yes.  TV, some computer screens, movie theaters, are right up there with alcohol, rem sleep (night or snoozing again after waking up in the morning) and chocolate for me.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #26 on: Dec 6th, 2005, 3:55am »

dark chocolate, Peanut Butter, Rum/Coke, hotdogs, Chinese food, ice cream............all the good things in life are triggers.  

It just ain’t fair. Why can’t it be shit like broccoli, liver or Mexican food?

It sucks to be us.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Orion
New Board Newbie
USA 

This too shall pass ......

« Reply #27 on: Dec 6th, 2005, 4:45pm »

I don't think I've seen anyone mention one of the most common triggers, THE CLOCK!  In this cycle 6 - 7 pm seems to do it (and of course the 1-2 am wake up call).
IP Logged
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 1:30pm »

Of course  anything laced with MSG makes me get the absolute worst of them all-------When I got me first CH in 1977 my wife and I went through the pantry and threw away everything that had MSG. Needless to say the pantry was then empty.
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #29 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 8:57am »

Sleep
Rest
Alcohol
Ice Cream (sometimes)
Paint & solvent fumes
Excessive physical exertion/fatigue (it has to be very excessive)
Single digit Temps.

Tom  
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #30 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 10:52am »

Easy one to answer.

Life is the universal trigger, though you won't ever find me in a sauna during a cluster again.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #31 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 4:11pm »

There has been some consensus from episodic sufferers that cycles often begin after a severe cold. I noticed this last cycle where I had a bad head cold which included a bad headache through most of it. The kind of headache where it hurts when you cough - brain sloshing around type of a thing. As the cold finally ended, a wopper of a cluster cycle began.

Also I've noticed cycles come after periods of extreme stress and often during what should be an alergy season for me. Usually when I get bad allergies in a season then no cluster cycle, but if no allergy symptoms in spring or fall, I get a cluster cycle. Give me the constant sneezing, copious snot, and itchy watery eyes any day! Also, I don't take antihistamines during allergy season because I dread stopping the symptoms.

As far as triggers during cycle, similar to many listed - strong chemical smells, MSG, nitro, alcohol, pressure change, bright light or sunlight, heat, annoying people telling me to buck up/have faith you are cured/take an asprin/etc.
IP Logged
imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #32 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 11:33am »

It just ain’t fair. Why can’t it be shit like broccoli, liver or Mexican food?

I  like broccolli, liver and Mexican food. Sometimes all at the same time. Hence, my expanding waste line.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #33 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:21pm »

" I don't think I've seen anyone mention one of the most common triggers, THE CLOCK!  In this cycle 6 - 7 pm seems to do it (and of course the 1-2 am wake up call)."

My ONLY trigger is the clock.  9 PM and 2 PM on the nose, every day during a cycle.  I've got the Trex gun loaded and ready both times of the day.

Absolutely no other triggers, including alcohol (lucky me).

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #34 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:36pm »

Everyone mentions triggers yet no one really mentioned the time in between one is exposed and one has an attack.

for something to be considered a true trigger it must literally set one off in moments.

As far as the research goes the known triggers are alcohol for some and nitroglycerine.

Nitro is said to bring on an attack for those that are not even in cycle.

I personally do not have any that I am aware of.

There are times of day where they occur more often and certain situations which appear to exaserbate them yet they are not triggers.

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Melissa

Email

« Reply #35 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 3:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My triggers are all delayed (Wink).  A HUGE one I'm experiencing now, is a change in barometer.  I couldn't understand WTF I got slammed so brutally tonight, until after my attack.... A huge snowstorm is moving in.  

Same thing happens to me when I'm in cycle in the summer, damn thunderstorms or even just a front moving in. Sad

Other than that, having a beer will trigger one within an hour of consumption.  I have yet to find anything that will make one come on immediately (nor do I wanna find out!)
IP Logged
tidge
New Board Newbie
South_Africa 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #36 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 5:38am »

Howdy

I have also noticed CH's associated with dreams. The dreams often end up trying to explain the pain before I wake up. I have dreamt of having a motorcycle accident with half my head smashed in and even had Freddy Kruger from Elm Street stick his handy blades into my head.

Low doses of amitryptilene, a cheap tricyclic antidepressant, keep REM sleep and dreams away. We have 10mg tablets in South Africa, but I could only find 25mg tabs in Australia. I'm not sure about the States.

They do make you feel a little groggy in the morning and REM sleep is healthy. But do try if you have episodic CH.

Low dose nighttime amitryptilene also relieves sleep apnoea (snoring to the point of chocking during REM sleep), which causes high blood pressure and low blood oxygen. Perhaps this may be part of the cause of CH onset.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss