Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Rebound Headache? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Rebound Headache?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rebound Headache?  (Read 480 times)
JoeKen
New Board Junior
England 

Late Life Sufferer.

Rebound Headache?
« on: Nov 13th, 2005, 5:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Smiley  
Good Morning all  -  (it's Sunday morning where I am).
My GP, I suspect, has only me as a CH patient. He is as helpful as his budget will allow him to be but not very knowledgeable about CH. On Friday morning he gave me a scrip for Maxalt melts, (quick acting 10 mg doses of Imigran). Being the cautious type I used half of one of these at mid afternoon the same day and it worked like magic  -  in a few minutes I could feel the CH fading and it had gone completely within 20 minutes  -  wonderful result !!
The next day I woke with a very bad HA like no other HA I have ever had  -  (I am a conniseur (sp?) of HAs. having CH, migraines and just plain HAs all my life).
This HA was high on the brow, about hairline level, all across the brow and seemed to be located just under the skull. Oxygen had no effect, and not knowing what it was I let nature take it's course. It stayed with me at the same level (say Kip 6 or 7), until mid afternoon and then faded away.
Questions: -
1)   was this a rebound HA from the Maxalt Melt?
2)   if so, how do I stop a 'cycle' from developing (Maxalt, rebound, Maxalt, rebound etc.,)?
3)   has anyone else had a similar experience?
Thanks for your interest.
JoeKen
IP Logged

Not sure I should be here, but it's as near as I'm going to get to finding out what is the correct name for my condition. Usually KIP 5 or below but last up to 16 hours and always one-sided, behind the eye, usually right but ocassionally left.
JoeKen
New Board Junior
England 

Late Life Sufferer.

Re: Rebound Headache?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 7:29am »

Hi again,
My wife has just reminded me of another possible cause of the rebound (?) HA that I refer to above. Included in the list of ingredients to the Maxalt Melt medication is Aspartame, with no indication of quantity or percentage. I strongly suspect that I am sensitive to Aspartame (phenyl alanine), having suffered very bad HAs after known intakes of drinks containing this substance, but the HAs were 'normal', nothing like the one described in my earlier posting.
From a bit of web surfing this morning I learn that people with sensitivity to Aspartame are often also sensitive to MSG. If this is the case, and if this applies to me, it might well explain how I have become a connoiseur of HAs over the last 60+ years. In this day and age, how the hell does one avoid the intake of MSG, given it's many and various guises under which it appears in our food and drink?
Seriously, any practical advice on how to minimise the intake of Apartame and MSG would be greatly appreciated.
JoeKen.
IP Logged

Not sure I should be here, but it's as near as I'm going to get to finding out what is the correct name for my condition. Usually KIP 5 or below but last up to 16 hours and always one-sided, behind the eye, usually right but ocassionally left.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 9:08am »

Avoid foods containing the stuff (read labels). Excedrin causes rebounds in me (I also have CH along with migraines and post traumatic concussion HAs). Maxault makes me sick to my stomach, so I avoid it. I really don't think one dose will cause a rebound.

You didn't say what else you're taking. Have you tried Black Coffee and O2 at the onset of CH. That usually works for me within a few minutes (if it's going to work and if I get to it before it hits about a 5 or 6 -- after that it's cafergot and phenergan).  

Check out a migrain site and see what foods to avoid for migraines (and there's a bunch of them).  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

CHTom

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 11:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can anyone direct me (and others) to scientific sources (articles written by physicians) that describes and confirms the existence of rebound cluster headaches?  I've searched the internet and have yet to find anything that proves the existence of this phenomenon.  I've found anecdotal reports but have not been able to find any scientific data that confirms that rebound cluster headaches exist.  I've been able to find are articles about rebound "normal" headaches, caused by overuse of analgesics and they go away after stopping the use of whatever medication is used to take care of the original headache. My current physicians state that such a phenomenon does not exist for clusters.  Many years ago my physician at that time thought that I had rebound headaches instead of clusters, so I did not use any analgesics for a period of two weeks (a very painful two weeks), not even aspirin and my clusters kept coming.  Thanks
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 11:51am »

A rebound is not a full blown CH.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/66/79577.htm
IP Logged
CHTom

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 12:04pm »

I've read that article but it doesn't mention cluster headaches though it does mention other types; I also checked the cluster headache info on that site and it didn't mention the rebound phenomenon-thanks for the info. anyhow.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 12:27pm »

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/medications/imitrex_rebound.htm
IP Logged
CHTom

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 1:03pm »

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posting, Chewy, but both articles that you referred me to had to do with migraine headaches.  I've always thought that what some people refer to as "rebound cluster headaches" are perhaps suffering from a prolonged CH, from which whatever medication that they are using decreases the pain for a short period of time and then the CH returns.  It is possible that they exist, but I just haven't found any scientific studies that show that they do exist.  Once again, I apprecite your efforts.  PFDANs.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 1:06pm »

Substitute Cluster for Migraine.

Same principle.
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 1:06pm »

Chewy, DO NOT  respond to CHtom---

He is a troll, and should be ignored
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005, 1:07pm by pattik » IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
chewy

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 1:15pm »

Oh. I'm new here. Didn't know.

BAD CHTOM! BAD !
IP Logged
CHTom

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 1:40pm »

I guess that I must be bad if what's her name says so; anyhow, I don't think that one can substitute "cluster" for "migraine" as they are two very different types of headaches, but, as what's her name said, I'm a troll so what do I know?  Silly me-I would imagine that if rebound HAs occurred with clusters then the articles would have said so.  Thanks again, Chewy, even if I am a bad boy troll or whatever Shocked!  If Patticake can produce an article, I'd like to see it-or if anyone else can for that matter.  Bad troll, bad troll!
P.S.:  I guess that asking for scientific backup is a bad thing-sorry.  Oh, I feel a rebound headache coming on!
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005, 1:41pm by CHTom » IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 1:47pm »

Quote:
Oh, I feel a rebound headache coming on!

Lie down in a dark room and cover your head with a wet wash cloth. Do you have any Excedrine handy?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss