Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 11:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Similar Experience? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Similar Experience?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Similar Experience?  (Read 355 times)
HaroldM
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Similar Experience?
« on: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm new to cluster headaches and just started having them about a month ago.  This is probably the worst thing to ever happen to me.  However, I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience on two fronts.  First, the cluster headaches started a few days after a rear end traffic accident and the doctor indicates that he has never heard of there being a relationship between the two.  I'm 49 and never had a headache before other then the occassional sinus one every couple of years.
The second thing is really strange and I am a bit hesitant about even mentioning it but here goes.  As expected, there is no warning to when a headache comes on, it just does.  However, the last three times I have had one my dog has come up to me about eight or ten minutes before and appears very aggitated, sniffs me, and continues to appear aggitated, shifting weight back and forth and the like.  Then, in a few minutes the headache comes on real suddenly.  My wife noticed it first and commented about it so I paid attention and she is right.  The dog even woke me up about three in the morning the night before last and displayed his aggitated actions.  So, I got up and went to the living room and in just a few minutes there it was.  This seems silly to me since everything I read says that there are no warning signs but my dog had done this three times now over the last two days and hit it every time.  Has anyone had a similar experience?
IP Logged
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

Re: Similar Experience?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 3:54pm »

on Nov 14th, 2005, 1:14pm, HaroldM wrote:
However, the last three times I have had one my dog has come up to me about eight or ten minutes before and appears very aggitated, sniffs me, and continues to appear aggitated, shifting weight back and forth and the like.  Then, in a few minutes the headache comes on real suddenly.

Hey there...

I dont think that this is strange or weird or anything! There are many instances where they use dogs to kind of predict what is coming. Take those that have service dogs and have seizures - the dogs warn the owner of a seizure so that they can prepare or do what they need. So there is no reason why your dog can 'predict' a cluster.

Actually, my puppy (she is just six months) can tell when I am getting hit or about to. She comes and sits with me or lays down behind me until the attack is over. Many times, and this also happened with my Border Collie, she will come and lick my face or hands - wipe away tears and, though she may not realize it, help me cope with the attacks.  

Quote:
This seems silly to me since everything I read says that there are no warning signs but my dog had done this three times now over the last two days and hit it every time.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

I am not sure why dogs can warn their owners of things such as a seizure or even warn people of an impending natural disaster - look at the animals and the tsunami. But they can. I think that some of it is what our body may do even when we dont realize it. For example, I tense up and start shaking my leg or biting my lip and clenching my teeth.. she may not realize what I am doing but I am sure that she can feel that tension and reacts. Ya know?

Look at horses, they can tell when their rider is afraid as can dogs... They can sense what is going on even when we dont realize it.  

Again, I have also had this experience and I dont think that it is strange... I am surprised that it really hasnt been discussed before. Take the hints that your dog is giving as now you can react fast and abort the hit quicker with O2 or whatever you use.

I am sorry that I have written so much - I just have a lot of passion for animals and what they can do. And I am so happy to hear such good things like this.  

I am sorry that you have these headaches and welcome aboard! And give that dog a pat for me! Grin

Jill
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2005, 3:56pm by Jill » IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Similar Experience?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 8:46pm »

Hi and Welcome,

I don't think what you describe is at all ridiculous.  Those close to us, especially our pets, seem to sense things that are about to happen.  Your dog is sensing very subtle changes in your behavior or actions that signal somethink coming.  Don't think you're crazy!

Do, however, immediately seek treatment and a proper diagnosis from a neurologist - preferably one who specializes in headaches.  Keep a headache diary to take with you, and read up on all the wonderful info on this site to also take with you.

CHA's is a terrible syndrome, but one that can be treated with the proper meds or alternatives.  Meanwhile, when the dog starts his act - bring out the ice, heat, tryptans, oxygen, or whatever is available to help you deal with the beast.  

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss