Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What do you do when pain hits? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   What do you do when pain hits?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What do you do when pain hits?  (Read 2120 times)
mrs mac
New Board Veteran
Scotland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: What do you do when pain hits?
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

you guys are amazing

i have just read and re read each post, and compared it with what andy does!!!

he goes on O2 and i go and get him his ice pack!!!!

most times his attacks last about an hour, but there have been a few occasions when they have reached the 3 hour mark, and have been horrendous for him and for me to watch!!!  that is when he usually paces the floor or rocks back and forth, or throws up!!!!!

if the kids are around, we usually ask them to go and play upstairs, or Andy will disappear up stairs till the worst is over!!

the kids are fantastic, they have gotten used to understanding "Daddy's eye's gone again"  and all i can say is i know, but he will be ok in a little while!!! REALLY HARD!!!

total respect to you guys out there, wish i could find a miracle cure for you all!!!!

sandra xxxxxxxxx
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #26 on: Nov 22nd, 2005, 9:23pm »

Thanks Sandra  

Its people like you that make life a little easier sometimes.
IP Logged

MJ
mrs mac
New Board Veteran
Scotland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #27 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:59am »

MJ

i do what i can to help him, but most of the time i feel pretty useless, as i can't take his pain away!!!1

tc and hope your pf just now

sandra xxx
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:28am »

Sandra you are NOT useless!
You are an incredible supporter and if I have to come back up to Mull to knock that into you I will! (mind you.l. we could go on a pub crawl afterwards so thats not altogether a bad idea.... hmmmm..!)
lots of love
Big Sis X X X
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #29 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:44am »

what in all 3 pubs in tobermory ??? Wink
count me in too
i'll pick you up on the way helen laugh laugh
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #30 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 4:30pm »

leaning... i do alot of it.

Lean the sore side (leftmostly)
into a pillow, so I cancontinue to watch TV

Lean it into my arm or hand so I can support my
head and then bumble-shuffle...when I gotta walk
anywhere...

Trouble is, i am in slow motion.
so i cannot plan, react to conversations,  
note important things on my all important note papers,
cannot focus on plots of TV, or really listen to music
just sort of shuffle/pacefrom one spot to another...

sometimes i am lucky,
when the eye is not too watery

and i can get read a few posts on here....

to gain insight and courage to  
shout at my little devil and make him retreat
to his cave....

but most times, just rock and moan and cuss
and repeat....   Wink  
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
boomer52
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whats crackalackin?

« Reply #31 on: Nov 28th, 2005, 9:47am »

I start pressing my hand against my left temple and eye. If I haven't taken too much imitrex, I take another one, if i have taken too much, then I just hold my head and rock until it is over. usually about an hour without medications. I often think I am dying, but so far have always came back. I think maybe dying would be easier.
IP Logged

If pain could have saved us, we long ago would have been cured.
jangus
New Board Newbie
USA 

From under the Redwood Canopy

« Reply #32 on: Nov 29th, 2005, 12:34am »

I'm another one that sneaks quietly out of bed in hopes of not disturbing anyone else in the house. I scramble for my ice pack out of the freezer, then wrap it around my left side.

I then might pace for awhile until I realize that this isn't going to help at all. Then I curl up in a ball and roll around the carpeted floor until I realize that isn't going to help at all either. Then I might stretch out face down on the floor and kick like I'm a seal or a shark, sometimes alternating legs and cursing profanities that shock anyone that I, by now, have awakened, because I don't normally use vulgar language unless I'm speaking about the U.S. government.

Then, depending on the K.I.P. level, I go into horrible tribal screams and folding my arms completely around my head begging for it to stop or asking, "why me... why me?" I mean I really can belt it out and let it echo in the forest so deep. I know by now I've totally sent chills up everyone's spine within earshot and calm and rock for awhile and let that wave roll out... I try and imagine that the meds are taking hold and I'm not going to have to get to the point of screaming again... and sometime I do, but then sometimes I don't.

After 26 years of eposodic pain, I'm on what seems to be a new path with my cycle thanks mostly to this site:
Eat 2 capsules of Kudzu Root three times a day after meals.
Keep the O2 tank at bedside and follow the instructions on this site to a "T".
Drink 8 ounces of water every 1/2 hour.
Knock back a hot cup of coffee when you feel the beast approaching.
3 meals a day... do not skip any meals when in cycle.
No alcohol while in cycle!
No smoking while in cycle!

I'm happy to say that since I've been following the aformentioned, I haven't gone any further than a KIP 3.

I also had my 3rd Quantum Energetics session today since November 6 when I started this cycle.

http://quantumenergeticshealing.com/

I think I'm figuring this nightmare out. Thanks to all of you that participate in this group therapy. And thank you Al Gore for opening the internet up to the people of the world.

Peace!
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2005, 12:43am by jangus » IP Logged

"Don't 'cha touch hard liquor,
just a cup of cold coffee...
gonna get up in the morning
and go."
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #33 on: Nov 29th, 2005, 1:58am »

"Then I might stretch out face down on the floor and kick like I'm a seal or a shark, sometimes alternating legs and cursing profanities"

Jangus.

Do you think I could get a film of that.  

I got a kick out of that.  Grin Grin Whatever works man.

MJ
IP Logged

MJ
jangus
New Board Newbie
USA 

From under the Redwood Canopy

« Reply #34 on: Nov 29th, 2005, 4:07pm »

MJ
If I ever get to that point again... I'll see if I can get my partner to film it.

Good news... last night (yesterday) was the first night I didn't get hit since November 6!

Am I on my way out (of this cycle). Pray for me folks... I think I'm nearing the end of this year's episode.

!!!
IP Logged

"Don't 'cha touch hard liquor,
just a cup of cold coffee...
gonna get up in the morning
and go."
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #35 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 9:08pm »

Well,

After 13 gloriously PF days due to HBWR seeds, nothing more than a slight shadow or twinge, the Beast returned with a vengance at 1 am this morning.  My morning went thus...

1AM: K7 maybe even could add a .5 onto that after another 15 minutes.  Up and into the bathroom with the electric toothbrush as the f*cker was in my teeth again.  Take the toothbrush to the kitchen with me as I grab the cold pack out of the freezer.  I hit the rocking chair as the left over coffee warms up in the nukerwave.  Coffee is done and the toothbrush is tossed aside as I hold the icepack in one freezing hand, mug in the other.  Rock, swig, rock, swig, ice pack on the back of the neck, rub it around some, rock swig rock, coffee is empty.  Fucker is still holding strong...another coffee and another unmelted ice pack...

Rock swig...rock swig..F*CK!  Out of the chair and onto the floor, on my knees, head into the carpet.  Rubbing harder with the coldpack.  Hour and 45 min later...relief...

Scared to go back to bed as I might oversleep for work I stay up and hit the shower...

3:35AM:  Damn it damn it not again...Grab ice pack #1 again...not all frozen at this point but all I got...re-warm the last cup of leftover coffee...on the kitchen floor grinding my head into the cupboard, this time my teeth are ok, but my left sinus feels like a minivan was stuffed up into it, scalp is on fire but not as bad as the back of neck.  Swig and grind...eye is burning and puffy, swig...damn it's gone...45 minutes.  K7 again.

All icepacks are in the freezer....be prepared...waited till 4:30 when a pal of mine gets up for work and plead with him to call me 6 am so I can try to rest in the chair, and still call into work, I was whiped compleatly out there was no way I was getting behind the wheel of a car.

Get the wake up call, and I start my seed preperation, so they have time to soak.  Call my supervisor at home at 6:35 instead of the planned 7 am, because the Beast is starting to ramp up yet again...she heard it in my voice and just said see you tomorrow.

6:45 full K9...ice and diet pepsi...didn't have time to make a pot of java...Ice pack one down and there has to be a dent in the front storm door, as I started just with the cold aluminum agains the left forehead, but eneded up waking up the neighbor with the groaning and banging.  (I banged so hard I broke the latch off the door jam) Undecided

Only an hour....thank the powers that be...

Stirred up the seed mix and hopped in the shower...stayed till the water ran cold...have to stay awake another hour at least so I can take my meds. Afrin to clear the left sinus that was still plugged up tight.  Got out of the bathroom and SH*T  there the F*CKER comes....AGAIN!!!!!!  

8:45 AM...Front door no good...naked...no time for ice pack...open my bedroom window...wet head..18 degree breeze in my face...on my knees on the edge of the bed by the window...breathe..groan...breathe  groan...breathe groan....grind head into the window sill...breathe groan.... with the now clear left sinus running like a faucet...(paid to have the towel handy) burning there and into the deep inner left ear like hot giant knitting needles in each oriface battleing like swords behind the eyeball. just over an hour...K8

10 am I add a 1/2 teaspoon of some sugarfree raspberry  Crystal Light to my seed water and gulp the mixture down....back to the luke warm shower...laster all of 5 minutes...hop out, make the last of the coffee I have in the apartment, drink it while I wait and see if I'm going to get midst treatment hit....hour passes I get sleepy and rest in the rocker and drift off for an hour.  Wake feeling very mellow, relaxed and NO pain... shore

Wait another hour and eat a grilled cheese sammich, paruse the board here some, and still tired and PF so I lay in my bed...sleep one hour wake for a bit...rest on the couch,  wake for a while,  back to the couch...

No pain since they stopped at 9:50 this morning... after taking my seed/mush water...

I've had this before..where after a period of PF time from the seeds I get hit like a tidalwave out of the blue.  When "my" beast decides he returning he does so with a vengance...

Pegg  
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #36 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 10:21pm »

Redd
Sure hope your better now and it stays that way.

I apologize but I am actually chuckling a bit because I understand what you went through way too well.  

Wishing the best PF you deserve it.

MJ
IP Logged

MJ
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #37 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 10:29pm »

Thanks MJ,

I knew that the details would make others chuckle some...better to laugh than wallow right?

Pegg
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #38 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 10:36pm »

on Nov 30th, 2005, 10:29pm, Redd715 wrote:
Thanks MJ,

I knew that the details would make others chuckle some...better to laugh than wallow right?

Pegg

YUP!

Wishing you PF days sistah.....and everyone else!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
stevea
New Board Newbie
USA 

Glad CH.com exists!!

Email

« Reply #39 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 11:57pm »

I wish I knew this board was around a long time ago!!

I stand in the shower with scalding hot water beating against my forehead until the water goes tepid, then I start on hot towels to the head.  One time I actually started writing about how I was feeling when I got the HA at 1:00am on a work night.  I made it through a page and a half before I was able to fall asleep.  I read it the next day after the pain had vanished and was scared shitless.  It was like a mad man had written it.  Talking about these 10,000 little men inside my skull scraping on the backside behind my eye, talking about being outside my body, talking about this beast mocking me and enjoying my pain.  But the writing helped!!
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #40 on: Dec 1st, 2005, 7:24am »

I get out of bed, grab a headband (don't know if this helps, but it's something to grab), turn the TV on and try to focus. O2 and coffee are the first line of defense. Hopefully I get to it in time (during the night or early morning) that the caffine and O2 work.

Daytime hits -- grab the headband and O2 - usually have to wait for coffee to make. If it keeps ribbing up (and only occassionally) I'll take three extra strength Excedrin. I usually find a "cold" spot or turn the air down as low as I can get it because I get extrememly HOT. Frozen peas work great as an ice pack (can't stand heat in any form). I try NOT to bang my head (got tired of explaining black eyes and bruises), so if it gets over a 6 I hit the cafergot and go back to rocking and trying to concentrate on the computer or TV or something - anything.  

I have been known to go outside at 3 in the morning and sit in a wrot iron rocking chair in 17 degree weather in my nightgown to "cool" down during an attack - not good for cold season, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  

I've put vibrators to my left side - hit my head on the wall, desk, or whatever was available, screamed, cursed, threatened anyone who came near me and in short acted like a crazy person. One time I did this in my doctor's office and got attached to his lab coat and was banging my head on his chest. Almost broke his chest bone. That's when HE got educated into the pain I go thru! He was exhausted when the HA subsided.  

I've tried massage, but that just gives me something to do.  

Frankly, I want a CURE!! But for now, I guess I'll stick to O2 and frozen peas....

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #41 on: Dec 1st, 2005, 11:36am »

I down a tab of cafergot first thing then I sit, elbows on knees, and hold the O2 mask to my face.  Watch the clock to see how long it's been.  Wipe the tears and snot periodically.  That's it.

Johnny - got your picture added to the pic page this morning.  Thanks.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #42 on: Dec 1st, 2005, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Nov 17th, 2005, 1:19pm, E-Double wrote:

OMG... I'm not in a cycle now but visit the board from time to time ... I'm ROFLMAO ... good one E-Double but as someone else said... what you do kinda scares me too... Smiley

T.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #43 on: Dec 1st, 2005, 7:46pm »

on Dec 1st, 2005, 7:42pm, TonyG1 wrote:

OMG... I'm not in a cycle now but visit the board from time to time ... I'm ROFLMAO ... good one E-Double but as someone else said... what you do kinda scares me too... Smiley

T.

laugh

I used to be a pacer, banger, cursing SOB. These days (it's been a while shhhhhhhh) I try to zone it out the best I can and rock. I find the more I fight the worse it got and it just increased anxiety.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #44 on: Dec 1st, 2005, 7:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have to agree with you there E !  I go for the trex, caffeine, & if it is really bad.... hot tub submerge my whole head only leaving enough room to breath for 15-20 minutes... then dark room forcing myself to sit and wait it out ...
IP Logged
joke ten dam
New Board Junior
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

poldertocht  
Email

« Reply #45 on: Dec 1st, 2005, 9:15pm »

Cry I was crying whilst I read all this and it is now3 am in holland. This should be printed on the front page of every morning paper in the world.
I would personnaly like to thank all the supporters for all their wonderful support.
If I wake up with a sweaty fore head I jump out of bed and try to cool doun as quik as possible if that dose not work I hang over the bathe with a kold shower.( I dont dare to go douwnstairs because I have fallen dow severel times whilst being hit.) Then I sit on the edge of my bed or chair and start rokking hittink my sleep with my fist or tugging at my hair. Withe akip 8 9 I sit rok stand sit bang my feet  and have a cold shower on my head moan groan and hope it wont last longer than 1/2 an houer and use imigran injection 1/2. injector  I find it difficult to load the injector I dont replace the because I cant manage to that. When it finally goses I somtimes fall off the edge of my bed or chair. because I fall asleep exousted. I always try to wait 10 minutes before I injekt in the hope I dont nead it. Even with half the dose I get short of breath. Dont worry my hert has beans cheked thoroughly beacause of the side efects I have. I have been clasified totaly healthy. But I am clasified 100% disabeld because of cronick CH.

WYAPFDAN Joke
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss