Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sleep Apnea and Clusters »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Sleep Apnea and Clusters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sleep Apnea and Clusters  (Read 793 times)
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

Better living through oxygen!

Sleep Apnea and Clusters
« on: Nov 27th, 2005, 6:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just had a sleep test and was told I had significant oxygen problems and would probably have to use a CPAP machine.  The techie who did the test said that sleep apnea was very common in people who had CH.  The fun just never ends!  Not only do I have a headache but I snore.  So, is this really that common?  If sleep apnea is treated do the headaches go away?

I promise not to make any taser jokes.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2005, 9:04pm by Spike_Inmyeye » IP Logged

"If you can treat it over-the-counter it isn't a headache"
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

Re: Sleep Apnea and Clusters
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27th, 2005, 9:08pm »

Hi spike,
I too have sleep apnea and sleep with a cpap, unfortunately it doesn't seem to help with the clusters as I'm just starting my fall cycle, but it does help with sleep.  There was one study done that found that 80% of cluster headache sufferers have sleep apnea, but it was done with a very small test group, so the jury is still out on whether that is an acurate figure.  Just out of curiosity, did the tech mention which kind of apnea you had, obstructive, central, or mixed?  Best of luck, if you have any questions don't be afraid to give me a shout.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2005, 10:50pm »

Hey Spike,

Well  I too have to use CPAP it has had no effect on my Clusters.  Your sleep tech is either a sleep tech and/or a respiratory therapist.  I am the later.  I find it hard to believe that they would know much at all about Clusters.  Its just not in our scope of practice.  Yes low oxygen saturations can cause headaches and is one of the many tests that a doctor can put us through.  Most sleep labs use pulmonologist (Lung Doctors) too be thier medical directors and they would probably not know very much about clusters.

Good Luck

Good Vibes

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29th, 2005, 2:17am »

That is the problem.  Seems that they know just enough about CH to be dangerous.  Might just be magical thinking on my part to think CPAP would help. See what develops.  By the way do you sleep better with the CPAP?
IP Logged

Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29th, 2005, 10:38am »

: Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10.  

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.

Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

The Pain Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. RESULTS: Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). CONCLUSIONS: The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5. The relationship sleep apnea has in the perpetuation or precipitation of cluster headache is still to be determined. There are some reports that treatment stops the cluster but there is no prospective study. The high incidence (80.64%) seen in this population suggests the cluster patient should receive a sleep evaluation and perhaps intervention with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or an appropriate dental device.

PMID: 15186306 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29th, 2005, 4:47pm »

Thanks for the info.  I guess I will give the CPAP a try and let you know if it makes any difference with CH symptoms.  At the very least I get to sound like Darth Vader at night.
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29th, 2005, 4:59pm »

Research is suggesting (check floridians site) that CHers may have Central Sleep Apnea as opposed to obstructive. It stems deep in the noggin as opposed to a deviated septum.

I couldnt tolerate the device so my wife just has to deal..........

I get the couch
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29th, 2005, 8:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I was also told that I have sleep apnea but can't stand to wear all that 'head gear' when I sleep.

UNsolved
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss