Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: imitrex  (Read 681 times)
boomer52
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whats crackalackin?

imitrex
« on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 7:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been getting clusters since 1997 and was pain free for a year this time, until last month. They started again with a vengeance. I get them from 3 to 5 times a day(except for one day, only one) and most of the time they are from a 7 to a 10. I have been using 20 mg trex nasal spray and 100 mg tablets for them when it doesn't seem like one or the other is working very well. Lately it seems like neither one works very well and some time they make it worse pretty quickly. I have tried different types of pain pills when nothing is working and none of them has helped. The latest was Fioricet tab wats. Does imitrex do this to anyone else and also is there any pain pill to get me over them when imitrex is not working. I'm just aboput at the end of my rope. Thanks in advance
 Cry
IP Logged

If pain could have saved us, we long ago would have been cured.
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

Re: imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 7:41am »

Hey man hang in there. I used Imitrex in my last cycle, and towards the end of the cycle it really didn't do too much. I posted last week about new medication ( for me) Prednisone and Verapamil. Everybody explained to me that the Verapamil takes about 7-10 days, and I am happy to report it is working. Also if they are bad a neurologist told me ( as well as the posters here) that pure oxygen does the trick. Hope you get relief very, very soon......Scott
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
boomer52
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whats crackalackin?

« Reply #2 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 7:48am »

Yeah, I have tried verapamil and oxygen and they didn't help. thanks anyway
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 8:07am »

Even though the same med, you should not mix the two.

Try the JABS (injection)  

Zyprexa is also pretty kick ass and it works as quick as imitrex and is not a triptan.

Sometimes meds just quit.

What type of verapamil were you on? How high of a dose?
Did you have the proper Oxygen set up with a high flow rate?

Hang in there
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
boomer52
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whats crackalackin?

« Reply #4 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 8:15am »

verapimil 240mg er tab zeni, 1 tablet in the morning. It has been so long ago, I can't remember much about the oxygen, except it was a pain in the ass and didn't work. thanks
IP Logged

marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 8:25am »

How did you use Oxygen? Did you use a non-rebreather mask, at least with a 10 LPM flow of O2?

Have you tried aborting with caffeine as soon as you feel it coming on? Starbucks makes these cans of espresso shots, if I get to them early enough, it will abort the CH.

Hang in there, and watch your diet. No alcohol for starters, that is a trigger for many.
IP Logged
boomer52
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whats crackalackin?

« Reply #6 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 8:40am »

I can't remember about the oxygen its been so long ago that I tried it, Maybe I will try it again and make sure I am doing it right. I have tried strong coffee and it helps some. I have changed Dr.s a couple of times. I am from a small town and most doctors aren't taking new patients. The latest instructions from my doc was he didn't know what else to do, except I could go to the emergency room and he would set me up with a nuerologist after thanksgiving sometime. This took place right before the holidays.
IP Logged

boomer52
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whats crackalackin?

« Reply #7 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 8:47am »

Also I don't smoke and I haven't had any alcohol since this one started about a month ago. It doesn't seem to matter with me if I drink or not, one year I didn't have a drink for 3 months and it was no help at all, but they are so bad I haven't had any alcohol just in case. I do chew from time to time.
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 9:24am »

Research suggests and (personal experience) that Verapamil standard release is more effective than extended. and at higher doses.

As far as Oxygen goes.....

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

and for those of us who have either found oxygen to cease working or it never worked there is an awesome creation developed by a fellow clusterhead......

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~tritech2/clusterx/

and click here for reviews Wink

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1130556735

Good luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
aggiegran
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

AnnRow1117

« Reply #9 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 5:54pm »

Will someone please tell me about Zyprexa, is it anything like Axert? I am going to the doctor again soon and since I've tried almost everything out there The imitrex works but its so high, and sometimes the Axert works but I can only get 12 a month, when I'm in cycle I need 30 a month for 4 months at a time, then I have 2 months free, then back to the drawing board I have trouble paying $565 for 6 imitrex shots, humm 3000.00 a month is a little much, I wish they would take those Imitrex commercials on TV and cram them where the sun doesn't shine....Pain free days to all, Ann
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Try the JABS !  Grin

UNsolved
IP Logged
boomer52
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whats crackalackin?

« Reply #11 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 12:59pm »

Thanks for the help everyone, I got hit again last night 3 times, the last one was bad. I am back on the verapamil for 3 days now, also using the imitrex, which doesn't seem to work all the time and sometimes it seems to make it worse in a hurry. Also taking vicodin, generic hydrocod/ap ap5/500tab wats, it doesn't seem to help much. Went to the emergency room Friday afternoon and they gave me Demeral injection, that succeeded getting me woozie and I still had a small headache. wen t home, watched tv for awhile and then slept till 3 am, when I had another headache and took imitrex.
IP Logged

boomer52
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whats crackalackin?

« Reply #12 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 1:10pm »

I don't think I explained that when I was pain free for over a year I was on inderal la, but when they came back and wouldn't go away I stopped the inderal after about 2 weeks. Should I get back on it?
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss