Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 02 tanks »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   02 tanks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 02 tanks  (Read 789 times)
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

02 tanks
« on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 4:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm having trouble getting 02 tanks.  I can't get in to my doc until probably February, and I'm almost certain that I'm going in to another cycle now.  I've got my clustermasx and RJ (Mr. Happy's) regulator.  I tried a friend of ours who is a welder, but he can't help me, probably due to legal stuff, but I'm not going to press him.  I'm looking on e-bay and finding lots of welders tanks, but can't tell from the descriptions exactly what size they are. And if I were to get one, how do I get it filled?  

Anyone have any suggestions???

Need your help.

Thanks

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: 02 tanks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 5:23pm »

partial answer
on Dec 1st, 2005, 9:52pm, Mr. Happy wrote:
Commercial O2 folks don't do the H, E, etc, tank classifications, nor do they use liters (US.)
#2 tank is equivalent to an H tank. 7,000+ liters/250+ ft3, 130#
#4 tank is equivalent to an MM tank. 3,500 liters/125 ft3 75#
#7 tank is close to an E tank with 550 liters/20 ft3 20#

The #2 or H tank is a pisscutter to handle.....heavy when loaded.
The #4 or MM tank is still heavy at 75#, but manageable.

No matter what welding O2 tank you get, it will (or SHOULD) have a 540 adaptor. The size of the tank isn't as important as the immediate availability of refills. Ya just don't wanna run out on a Saturday afternoon. Scratch that. Ya just don't wanna run out.

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck.....
RJ

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 5:33pm »

on Dec 2nd, 2005, 4:39pm, Sandy_C wrote:
I tried a friend of ours who is a welder, but he can't help me, probably due to legal stuff, but I'm not going to press him.  

That is NO friend of yours, he could rent you a scuba size tank without even batting an eye if he wanted to....legal stuff my ass!!!

Cross him off the Christmas list!!.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

HeadhurtinMama
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I'll be just peachy when it quits hurting!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:13pm »

Have you called and asked them to order it for you in the mean time?  If you were near me, I'd give you one of mine!  I just got my O2 for the first time and they sent me out the door with the max that my HMO will cover for a month, so I have 6 E tanks!

Bridget
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:14pm by HeadhurtinMama » IP Logged

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are
Wake me up when September ends
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 3:55pm »

Here's an idea,

Go to your nearest welding gas supplier (they should be in your yellow pages under "welding equip & supplies"Wink  Tell them you are transporting live fish and need a "80 cubic foot oxygen cylinder."  DO NOT suggest in any way that you are going to use this oxygen for your headache(s) or that you are going to be breathing the O2 via a mask. (I learned this the hard way. They can be very stubborn. Blame the lawyers.)

The 80 cubic foot cylinder is 36 inches tall (including the valve) and 22 inches in circumference. Full, it weighs about 50 lbs (thats a guess).  At 2200 psi, the usual "full" pressure, this thng has a little less than 2,300 liters of O2. Of course you don't want to let the cylnder pressure go all the way down to zero. About 100 psi should be considered "empty" so you won't really get 220 minutes (three and an half hours at 10 liters per minute) out of a cylinder this size, but close enough for government work.

I bought an 80 cuft tank in November for $125. The oxygen in it cost $9.  Last week, when I went for a "refill" (actually they just roll out another full tank for you) it cost me $11.00.  This was in South Georgia.  

When I got my cylinder "refilled," the retailer asked me, "You want to buy another  bottle? I've got one here that a guy wants to sell for $80." I bought it. I've got a verbal promise that they will sell my tanks for me any time I'd decide I don't need them anymore.  They think I'm transporting live fish.  

You can rent/lease the tank (a.k.a. cylinder or bottle) by the year - but I figured I'd come out better buying than renting.

A couple of safety tips:
- always open and then close the valve on the oxygen cylnder a liittle bit BEFORE you attach the regulator.  This blows out any dirt and such that may have gotten into the connector. Even the welders do this - it protects the regulator.

- always move the cylinder with the cap screwed down around the valve (when you see the cylinder - this will be very evident) If the cylnder falls over and knocks the valve off - it's happened! - the cylinder becomes a rocket! Actually! It could blast it's way though a wooden wall! Could ruin you day.

- After your regulator is attached, open the valve on the tank just a little bit (enough to hear the gas flowing) then after a moment you can continue opening the valve.  It's not necessary to turn the valve all the way open. You can tell when the oxygen is flowing at a good rate.  Opening the valve slowly step-wise reduces the possibility of damaging your regulator with a sudden drastic increase in pressure.

- Use your O2 cylinder with it standing up on end. Secure the cylinder to something substanial so that it won't accidently fall or get knocked over.  The cylinder is supposed to be "safer" standing up than lying down. Migiht have to do with water/condensation in the tank.  There's not supposed to have any - but you never know.  

All this stuff about protecting the regulator is really about protecting YOU. You can get another regulator (eBay or Randy) but a busted/damaged regulator can BAD news for the person with his/her face at the other end of the tube.

What the cylinders are called is somewhat confusing. Most experienced welders get their cylinders by volume, 80 cubic foot, 124 cubic foot and so forth.  The cylinders that you'll see mostly mentioned here are medical oxygen and go by letter designations (e, m, k and so forth). it's probably different in the UK - everything else is. Anyway, you are buying welding oxygen so make the supplier think you know what you doing, and ask for a "80 cubic foot oxygen cylinder." That'll make you sound like a pro.

I know this may sound complicated and a little intimidating.  But after you've done it once or twice - it's a piece of cake. And then YOU will be the expert!

Squanto
IP Logged
jon019

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 4:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

THANK YOU Squanto! This goes in my file for future need-which I know I will. (Right next to all the great stuff from Mr Happy and in sight of my clustermasx from Ben- a prized possesion.)

Regards

Jon019
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 1:48am »

Priceless info Squanto.
Well done

Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 11:23am »

Another option.
Oxygen tanks can often be picked up at your better local auto parts store, like NAPA, as well.  
They may be on scheduled deliveries from the gas wholesalers. Who run to auto parts stores as well as medical suppliers.
Just say you were told to pick up a smaller one up by someone, (for a cutting torch) and plead ignorance. They will want to sell you an acetylene tank as well but you definately dont want that.  

Then heed squantos advise.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2005, 11:25am by MJ » IP Logged

MJ
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 4:25pm »

Awesome Squanto!  Goin fishin !   Wink  I'll let you know.

Hope I'm a good liar  Undecided

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss