Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 3:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Can you go from EPISODIC to CHRONIC/ »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Can you go from EPISODIC to CHRONIC/
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can you go from EPISODIC to CHRONIC/  (Read 763 times)
Tim_T
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Can you go from EPISODIC to CHRONIC/
« on: Dec 7th, 2005, 5:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Please tell me NO!!!  I have suffered from Episodic CHs for over 30 years. Its been 28 months since my last episode(the longest pain free time ever.) My Bouts usually last for about 8 weeks and  although i"m just at 8 weeks, it feels like they are just starting. I can"t really explain but after 30 years this episode has been very different. The PAIN is the same(Still UNBEARABLE at times) Still getting 2 to 5 CHs per day. But  they seem to be getting worse not better as they usually do by now!!!!Not sure how much more I can take!!!!!
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

Re: Can you go from EPISODIC to CHRONIC/
« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 5:47pm »

MOST DEFINATLY YESS

So sorry but there it is.

Your story tells me that you are far,far away from tipping over to be cronic so you try relaxe

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 6:38pm »

You have another 10 months to go so don't sweat it.
Deal the best you can.
I was episodic for 10 yrs.  
Went chronic last march.
Haven't had a full blown hit in over 2 weeks, just a couple of shadows.

Ya never know.

Stay positive
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 7:21pm »

Sure can. Went chronic in October and still going.  

Hey E- good to hear you are doing better. Is it the Lithium or did you come off? I remember you were toxic not long ago.

Brandi
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 8:03pm »

on Dec 7th, 2005, 7:21pm, bnfreeman wrote:
Sure can. Went chronic in October and still going.  

Hey E- good to hear you are doing better. Is it the Lithium or did you come off? I remember you were toxic not long ago.

Brandi

off lith & trying to come off verap. slowlyyyyyyyyyyy
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 8:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

12 years episodic then been chronic since Oct 2000.

So....YES you can !

UNsolved
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 10:37pm »

Yes and back again to episodic
IP Logged

MJ
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 1:48am »

Hi Tim. I am in the same boat as you. I hadn't had an attack for the past two years, then in Mid-October they started up. I have been suffering through this nonsense for twenty eight years, and My present cycle is different from the others that I suffered through. I agree with the other posters----calm down. When I get stressed out the attack intensifies. My mind wanders all over the place and it frustrates the heck out of me. Be strong and hopefully our present situation will only stay as an episode.
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 3:43am »

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2002 Feb;6(1):65-70.  

What predicts evolution from episodic to chronic cluster headache?

Torelli P, Manzoni GC.

Headache Centre, Institute of Neurology, Strada del Quartiere, 4, Parma 43100, Italy. paolatorelli@libero.it

Over the last few years, attention has increasingly been focused on the evolution of cluster headache over time. Predictive factors have been identified that are correlated with an increased risk of unfavorable evolution from the episodic form to the chronic form of cluster headache. Late onset, the presence of sporadic attacks, a high frequency of cluster periods, and short-lived duration of remission periods when the headache is still in its episodic form all correlate with a possible worsening of the clinical picture over time. The reasons for evolution of episodic cluster headache to chronic are still unknown, but some factors, such as head trauma and other lifestyle factors--eg, cigarette smoking and alcohol intake--have been suggested as having a negative influence on the course of cluster headache over time.

PMID: 11749880 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 7:08am »

Yes, you can go from episodic to chronic, but there are several stories of chronics going back to episodic again after years of chronic.  

Just hang in there - this may just be a long cycle. These things are unpredictibale at best. Don't panic = that just makes them worse.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 8:47am »

From what I've read there are cases where episodic sufferers turned chronic.

I'm waiting to go from chronic to episodic, I understand that happens as well...  But I'm still waiting.

Best Wishes

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 1:24pm »

Yes you can and you can go from chronic to eposodic.  
It is early yet to be worring about it.  You have a long ways to go 50 weeks of it before becomming chronic.  If you are having changes in your ha's also you may want to mention it to your dr and ask for an MRI to rule out anything bad.  Good luck and I hope they stop soon.  

IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 10:16pm »

My last cycle was twice as long as normal over the last 29 years.  They did finally end and I'm still episodic thank God. Try not to worry as you do have a long way to go before the "C" stage.

Vibes that the cycle ends soon. PFDAN
IP Logged
CHTom

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 2:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Unfortunately, you can go from epidsodic to chronic, though I sincerely hope that that is not what is happening to you.  I had my first attact in 1980, then nothing until 1988 and after that the frequency of attacks increased from 1 a year, lasting 2-4 weeks, to twice a year, then 3x, then 4x, etc. until 1995 when I got hit in September and did not have a break until a spontaneous, one year remission from Feb. 2001 to April 2002 (no one knows why these remissions occur and sometimes they can last more than a year or one can return to episodic or chronic again).  My April 2002 attack was the return of my chronic phase again and the longest that I have been pain free since then was 3 days (after undergoing DBS implant surgery in September of this year); the pain returned after another 2 day pain free period.  Had the voltage in my DBS device increased from 2.5 to 3 volts a couple of weeks ago and had a 2 1/2 day pain free period last week, now back to chronic, usually hitting 10 on the pain scale (mornings tend to be pain free for a few hours; driving will always set off an attack and bright lights and working on the computer at work make things worse.  I will usually get a 2-3 hours relatively pain free period during some days, but then rapidly return to a 8-10 level attack lasting until I go to bed-take Dilaudid, Fentanyl and sometimes sleep meds so that I can get some rest).  We chronics are a rather exclusive club and I willl vote that you not be allowed to become a member-really, the dues you have to pay are not worth the "benefits".  I sincerely hope that you are just having an extra long episodic attack and that the pain will leave soon.  I read that you have been suffering for 30 years; I don't know your age, but I have read and been told that as one ages the frequency of attacks decreases and that chronics can return to being episodic and that episodics can become pain free, my wish for you. I am in my mid 50's and things have not gotten better, despite increasing age and the DBS surgery (going back t the hospital in January to have the voltage jacked up again, unless the damn pain decreases-right!).  Perhaps if I live as long as Noah (900 years, I think), I'll return to being episodic.  Good luck, my friend and, once again, I sincerely hope that you are just having an extended episode of pain that will vanish soon and your life can get back to normal.  PFDANs!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss