Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 3:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « So Wierd this time around!! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   So Wierd this time around!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: So Wierd this time around!!  (Read 516 times)
stevea
New Board Newbie
USA 

Glad CH.com exists!!

Email

So Wierd this time around!!
« on: Dec 11th, 2005, 5:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So as some know, I am back into a cycle after over a ten year reprieve.  But they are so different this time.  Before, they would last up to four hours.  Typical sharp attack, about an hour of intense waves, and then two hours or so of lingering aftershocks.  This time, it is a pretty sudden attack, a peak, and then an IMMEDIATE shut off.  Like literally a switch has been thrown.  I just finished one.  It was amazing.  It started at about 4:00pm.  I took my two ergotamine tablets.  And then it hit with a vengeance.  Took another one.  Nothing.  Got worse.  This time I thought for sure the med's weren't working.  Jumped into a hot shower.  Got out feeling even worse.  Then I sat in a chair, the knee bouncing up and down the hand squeezing the head.  My partner came in and asked if I needed anything...and it turned off.  Nothing.  No residual.  I couldn't believe it.  Then I started crying like a girl (sorry to the ladies, just a saying).  I was so happy.  Anyone else have them end like this?
IP Logged
jon019

Email

Hi SteveaRe: So Wierd this time around!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2005, 6:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Stevea,

Yup. 24 years of this crap and a several years ago they got real weird. Hits came with no warning(like a toggle switch) went to kip 10 in seconds and gone in 1-2 minutes. Several times a day. Scary, thought I was having a stroke. Incredible pain and fear.

That lasted 2-3 cycles and then back to "normal" and then constant for the last year. That got me to the neuro
who put me on topomax and verapamil. Pain free (with lots of shadows) since 9/14 and counting.

It's all weird, just be prepared for the consistency of inconsistency.

Regards

Jon
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: So Wierd this time around!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11th, 2005, 8:35pm »

Hi Steve,

First, I have to say "Way to Go!" for a 10 year reprieve.  

Second, I guess I would say that nothing about this horrible syndrome surprises me anymore.

Then, I would ask if you had tried "riding one out" to see how long it really lasts without med intervention.  If they're really as brief as you think, no pill is going to help - it simply takes too long for a pill to go to work - is it worth the cost?

Medical treatments for clusters have changed a whole lot from 10 years ago.  I know of very few people who take Ergotomine for clusters anymore.  Perhaps you've seen this link - if not it might be of interest.  It truly was a lifesaver for me last cycle (5 years after the previous one).  If your clusters peak fast, you need a med that peaks fast.

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Hugs and PF Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 1:59am »

My present cycle ( 3 years without one) has lasted going on 8 weeks now. I am 51 and while they are still bad, they were much worse when I was in my thirties. I know that they change and vary, and I have also learned that it happens that way. My neurologist said it still is a cluster and he will search until we break the cycle.Good luck to you and hopefully you'll start another 10 years of tranquility.
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 2:36am »

Steve

For most of my history of CH the attacks have allmost allways come to full intensity in less than 5 minutes for an hour or two then like you said they just shut off and its over.  Untill the next hour comes.

There were many years that the meds I took, didnt allow a shutoff like that..let alone a smile when it was over after looking around and wondering where in the hell did it go. Its like stepping from hell to the edge of heaven. It is amazing.
And that is one of the reasons I used no meds for the last many years. Its all about recovery.

This time a new treatment a new deal.
IP Logged

MJ
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 7:03am »

Have you tried the DHE-45 IV treatments? This used to stop my cycle when I was episodic. I had to go in the hospital for the IV treatments every 8 hours, but after about 3 days or so it would end the cycle. If you're already taking the ergotomines, it might help.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss