Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 1:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Carotid Occlusion Method »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Carotid Occlusion Method
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Carotid Occlusion Method  (Read 895 times)
tidge
New Board Newbie
South_Africa 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Carotid Occlusion Method
« on: Dec 12th, 2005, 7:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Carotid occlusion used for relief of cluster headache (CH).

Aim: To close off the common carotid artery (CCA) in the neck on the affected side of the head, in order to reduce blood pressure and pulsation in the blood vessels that supply the affected side of the face and scalp, thereby relieving pain during CH. Intracranial (brain) blood pressure is preserved through collateral supply.

Method:

1. Extend your neck so that your larynx (Adam's apple) protrudes and the CCA straightens. The CCA runs immediately next to the larynx.

2. Put your hand on your cheek with thumb facing downwards. Find the carotid pulse with your thumb at the level of the widest part of the larynx. Keep your thumb well down in your neck – you don't want to massage the carotid body further up at the angle of the jaw.

3. Work the thumb behind the CCA and push it forward onto the larynx, so that it is immobilized against the larynx and you have full control of the amount of thumb pressure and blood flow.

4. Compress slowly until you have completely occluded the CCA on the affected side. Use as much surface area of your thumb as possible and only sufficient pressure to occlude the CCA (+/- 120mmHg). If no pain relief is experienced with total occlusion, there is no benefit from pressing harder.

5. If you hyperventilate, release some pressure until your breathing is corrected and try to increase the pressure again.

6. When you suspect that the CH is over, release pressure slowly. There is a +/- 15 second difference between thumb pressure and effect on pain.

https://www.prospect.ac.za/clusterpics/thumb.jpg" alt="" border="0">
Fig. 1. Note the level and direction of the thumb. Middle finger is on the temporal artery and small finger on the nasal artey. This is not essential, but helps assess the effectiveness of the occlusion.

Notes:

1. If you are new to this technique, you will be more susceptible to hyperventilation. This is because the carotid body is above your thumb and therefore also deprived of blood pressure and oxygen. This forces you to breathe more and your blood pressure to rise. However the carotid body on the other side senses the pressure and oxygenation rise and compensates by dropping pressure and breathing rate. Keep trying until you can occlude completely without hyperventilating.

2. You will know that you have complete occlusion when the temporal and nasal pulses disappear.

3. There is no need to worry about your brain not receiving enough blood - you have two vertebral arteries that combine with the carotids at the base of the brain in a circle. So occlusion of one carotid artery (below the carotid body) will result only in decreased blood flow to the external carotid artery on that side. The external carotid provides blood to the face and head outside the skull, where the nerves are that give you the pain (the brain does not have pain receptors). Reducing the pressure in these vessels stimulates a feedback mechanism that tightens the vessels to increase local blood pressure. The vessels constrict and the CH disappears.

4. Start compression at the first sign of a CH - the earlier the better.

5. There are surreptitious ways of using this method: at a desk or dinner table (fig.2) and reclining (fig.3). If you drive on the opposite side of the road to your CHs, you can rest your elbow on the door with the window wound down. In the event that you have to stand, you can put your hand behind your neck with thumb in front, your elbow out to the side (fig.4). It is always helpful to have some fixed object on which to rest your elbow – the carotid pressure must be consistent and constant. Remember to keep your neck slightly extended so that you have the larynx to push against.

https://www.prospect.ac.za/clusterpics/thumbdesk.jpg" alt="" border="0">
Fig. 2.

https://www.prospect.ac.za/clusterpics/thumbrecline.jpg" alt="" border="0">
Fig. 3.

https://www.prospect.ac.za/clusterpics/thumbstand.jpg" alt="" border="0">
Fig. 4.

IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Carotid Occlusion Method
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 8:50am »

Hopefully we can get the Pics.  I'll try it during regular CH attacks to see if it actually works.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 5:28pm »

"The certificate for "www.prospect.ac.za" expired Dec  6 15:23:48 2005 GMT. The webmaster should update the certificate(s)."
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 6:11pm »

I've tried applying pressure to the carotid artery during a hit before, and it seems to help some, sometimes...... but as soon as I let up on the pressure the CH is more intense.  Would like to see the pix you have for this.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 7:57pm »

Hi Tidge,

I believe I was the one who said I'm a visual learner.  This description was pretty clear, but I can't load your pictures!

Could you try again?

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
tidge
New Board Newbie
South_Africa 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 1:32am »

Kris, Jonny

The URLS are displayed where the pics should be.

I only allow secure traffic on this server and don't want to fork out for a certificate every year.

I have asked MJ to sort the post out - if i were to repost with a different server it would be messy. I shall repost in a few weeks if it isn't sorted out.

In the meantime you can download the pics individually, accepting the old ssh certificate.
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 3:17am »

Tidge

The method makes sense. And I tried it today.
But I cant even get to the urls. The server doesnt exist when I look for it.
I have no clue as to how to sort it out. I am certainly not the guy to do it.
Glad to see your still here.

MJ
IP Logged

MJ
tidge
New Board Newbie
South_Africa 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 9:50am »

Here are the pics's. A friend has kindly hosted them.

Fig.1.
http://www.aims.ac.za/~jan/tidge/thumb.jpg

Fig.2.
http://www.aims.ac.za/~jan/tidge/thumbatdesk.jpg

Fig.3.
http://www.aims.ac.za/~jan/tidge/thumbrecline.jpg

Fig.4.
http://www.aims.ac.za/~jan/tidge/thumbstanding.jpg
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 10:27am »

I do that all the time.
Didn't know what it was specifically.

I usually have thumb at base of skull behind ear (nerve or artery? you tell me doc)
little finger on cartoid and index on temple
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 10:43am »

Fig.1.  

Fig.2.  

Fig.3.  

Fig.4.  

Thanks Tidge, always nice when some one tries to help us all out.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2005, 10:43am by thomas » IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 8:10pm »

Thanks, Tidge!

Another tool for my arsenal ....

Kris
IP Logged

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 8:12pm »

Edited to add - Thanks also to Thomas!

Kris
IP Logged

stevea
New Board Newbie
USA 

Glad CH.com exists!!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 11:34pm »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

I was at rehearsal tonight and started in on one.  I took my meds (ergotamine), but was still having the shadow despite all.  I had to get through rehearsal for the sake of the rest of the cast.  So I started pushing on the carotid artery.  I had to keep doing it every once and a while, but it worked!  I kept it from getting beyond a Kip2  and made it through the whole rehearsal.  Between the meds and this method, I think I will be able to get through any waking attack!!

I am SOOOOOO glad I found this site.  I never thought I would be able to deal with this pain again.  But with the thoughts of everyone, the knowledge that I am not alone with this pain, and the tools I learn here, I fear it so much less than I did before.  Here's to PF days for everyone!!
IP Logged
tidge
New Board Newbie
South_Africa 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 4:45pm »

Great to hear Steve

You'll find it also works for toothache while the aspirin is taking effect, which says a lot about the cause of the pain.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss