Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cancer, Chemo, and Clusters »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cancer, Chemo, and Clusters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cancer, Chemo, and Clusters  (Read 696 times)
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

Cancer, Chemo, and Clusters
« on: Dec 14th, 2005, 2:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All

I have been contemplating this post for months now, started to write it a few weeks ago and when I was several paragraphs in . . . . lost the whole damn thing.  Puter' has been off getting stripped and a new one built for us and (so far) seems to be working . . . so, . . .will try again.

I considered the topic "Cancer Cures Clusters - Get U Sum" (sic) but thought that might be a bit much even though we clusterheads tend to appreciate gallows humor.  Now let's see how brief I can be.

I will be 59' in March.  My CHs started 1/01 as the result of (I believe) a head injury.  A year of tests (all normal of course), CTs, MRI, non-working meds and they just got worse and worse.  When my wife found this site 2/02, I was having 6-8 per day, KIP 5-9, and sometimes 3-5 per night.  Within weeks, with help from you guys I had my first PF day.  The next year gave continued relief using Verapamil as preventative and 02 as abortive . . .  chronic, but somewhat in control . . . not afraid to take my grandson to the woods.   Then . . . and only a very few here know . . .  

. .  March 03, in emergency room for strep . . . then found to be meningitis . . . proceded to encephalitis (sp?).   I was in the hospital 21 days, very close to dead for 11 of those days.  My wife had the tough duty . . . . I was out of it most of the time.  So . .. . survived that and . . . .

May, 03 followup from the above . . . blood in urine . . . more tests . . . urologist . . . tumor = surgery (TURBT), supposed to followup with BCG treatments, but could not tolerate that particular physician . . . got referral to excellent urologist who had to take his own "look" (another procedure, another recovery), then on with the six week BCG treatments . . . (during this time I also took accupuncture and herbal treatments from a well-known area practioner which I believe was beneficial in several areas).  Well, the treatments took care of most, but not all of the malignancy . . . bladder would have to come out (and prostate at the same time).  So . . . .

. .. . . I'm getting to the clusters . . . . I promise . ..  

On to Vanderbilt University where Dr. Michael Cookson performed a radical cystectomy and built a new bladder and re-hooked the plumbing . . . . I don't have a stoma.  Amazing surgery.  Unfortunately, cancer was in the llymph nodes so chemo was next step.    Now . . .  .

...... during this whole time, I was also dealing with the clusters.  You wouldn't believe the looks I got from various medical personnel when I expressed more fear of the CHs than of the various procedures and potentials for my demise.  I took every opportunity to explain the prn 02 and how it worked to anyone who would listen . .  . three hospitals and scores of medical personnel . . .  and more to come.   Then the chemo . . . .

Before I started the chemotherapy, I stopped taking the Verapamil (240mg at the time), Altace, Zocor and Zetia.  My blood pressure was running low (not normal for me) and low bpm.  Also I had confidence in my ability to abort most with 02.   Strange thing is, that as the chemo progressed (Gemcitabine (sp?) & Cysplatin (sp?), my attacks became less frequent and severe.  By the end of the three months, I even quit carrying my E tank and regulator all the time, until . . .

about a month after the chemo I was in a local tavern and they ran out of my Busch NA (non-alchoholic) and I (stupidly) thought, "what the hell, haven't had a bad one in a while", and ordered a real beer.  Half way through it and in the space of 15 min., I had the second worst attack, including (the only time) projectile vomiting, total body sweat.  Had a full B tank (the little one) in the van but no regulator, so cranked it open with a crescent wrench and sucked it empty in a hurry.  Gave them a great show, pacing rapidly arround the room with friends and strangers threatening to haul me to the emergency room and one old gentlemen praying up a storm before I "passed".   That was a year ago last Sept.   Since then . . . .

The attacks have gotten fewer and fewer . . . less and less intense . . . and I'm getting very close to "30 days PF without medication"  Had four ounces of wine at Thanksgiving .  .  . no problem.   Had a watered-down brandy a few days ago . . . minor shadow . . . I'll leave it alone.

Bob P . . . I never forgot about the project . . .Julia still has the file . . . still think it's a good idea.

I've been in and out of the site these last three years, usually to message a newbie and push 02 on anyone I could, but you have all been my family during the above ordeal, even though only a very few were aware.  But  be assured, I've been rowing along with you.  My "numbers" are good and it looks like I might be arround a bit longer.

I and my oncologist (who I'm educating about CH) are interested if anyone has had, or knows someone who's had a similar experience.

So, with that I'll end the longest post I've ever attempted.

Love you guys,

Be Safe,

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Spike_Inmyeye
New Board Junior
Syria 

Better living through oxygen!

I and my oncologist (who I'm educating abou
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 2:43am »

. . . someone who has had a similar experience?

I think you are one of a kind.  Good luck.
IP Logged

"If you can treat it over-the-counter it isn't a headache"
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

Re: Cancer, Chemo, and Clusters
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 2:56am »

We are all "one of a kind" . . . . and I consider myself very lucky already . . . I'll get to see my grandson turn nine in a few months, and if I stay lucky, we'll be moving to our patch of Tennessee woods next year.

PFDANs
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Melissa

Email

Re: Cancer, Chemo, and Clusters
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 3:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Oh wow Richard... I had no idea. Sad  

Sorry I don't have anything to offer to you, but just wanted to tell you that after reading what you've gone through, it puts the kip 7 I just had into perspective.

Thank you...
mel
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss