Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 1:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I'm new here »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I'm new here
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I'm new here  (Read 481 times)
rob_d
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I'm new here
« on: Feb 6th, 2004, 1:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone- I am a 40 year old man- had CH since i was 16...get them every 3 years or so...theis bout happened 1 week ago...funny how I convince themselves they are gone forever!!

I have tried some medication over the years and found no relief, but 3 days ago went to the Dr and he suggested Stadol nasal spray- what a godsend.

Of course the headaches persist but the pain is almost non-existent...the second best thing to being pain free.

Thanks for listening- nice to be here.

Rob
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: I'm new here
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6th, 2004, 1:30pm »

Hi Rob and welcome.
Just so you know, we just launched a website for O.U.C.H.  Canada (Organization for Understanding Cluster Headaches).   Feel free to drop in for some "home grown" info.  (No, not THAT kind of home grown!   Roll Eyes)  We've also just upgraded to the same format of a message board that you see here.  

http://www.clusterheadaches.ca

Glad you've found something to relieve your pain.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2004, 1:31pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 6th, 2004, 1:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Welcome Rob !!!

Sorry to hear the Beast has returned.

I'm glad Stadol works for you, but it is a narcodic. Stadol just knocks you out. Does not rid a CH. I used that stuff years ago and it sucked. Check on Imitrex and O2. Please read all you can off this site. Many new meds out there that you probably have NOT tried. I hope you find some relief soon. I am sending PF vibes your way in hopes you have a very short cycle this time around.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2004, 1:42pm by YOSIMITE » IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 6th, 2004, 1:59pm »

Glad you found an abortive that works for you.  I have used it from time to time myself.  It is a dangerously addictive drug however.  

Sorry the SOB returned for a visit after a 3 year absence.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

amen
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 6th, 2004, 6:00pm »

Sorry you have to be here Cry  Welcome though.  You will get lots of great information here, and a ton of wonderful support.
Andrea
IP Logged
River_Rat
New Board Old Timer
USA 

NUFF SAID!!!

realtornorm  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 6th, 2004, 6:21pm »

Welcome aboard Rob, glad you have something that works, stick around, this is a great place to hang out.

NORM
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 12:32am »

Welcome aboard and I'm happy you found something that works. Stick around as there are lots of good ideas here.  Here's one that worked for me:

http://www.netsync.net/users/charlies/

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 12:38am »

Hi Rob.......nice meetin ya !!! Hang around and learn alot and have sum fun ! Pam that likes South Park's cute version of Canada
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 12:38am »

Welcome!  

Draw up a chair and sit a spell.  You will find a lot of info available as well as a lot of caring people to help you through the tough times with this beast.  Glad the Stadol is working for you, but along with the others I would strongly encourage you to check out some of the other remedies that are now available that don't have the addictive qualities.  O2 is a definite recommend.

Take care.
Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
tsayswhy
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 1:53am »

Welcome Rob  Wink

glad you found us. You should read about imitrex injections and o2 works well and ask your dr. about this  
and like margi said please look us up over in the canadian site and feel free to post there as well.

wishing you pf...........tari

just around the conner from you feel free to email me!
IP Logged

if you are going my way---i will walk with you
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 2:01am »

Welcome to the board, Rob....

Lots of good information here.....and the best support group around.

Hope you stay and let us know how you're doing.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
rob__d
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 7:59am »

Thanks for the kind advice everyone.  

I have a few thoughts re CH and I would be curious if anyone agrees.

One thing I have noticed is that if I get an attack at home, there is nothing I can do but wait it out- sometimes 1/2 hour, sometimes 2 hours. (A few days ago was a first, I had a 45 minuter, went to bed and got another one before I could fall asleep).

However, if I happen to get one when I REALLY don't want one, say at work or in a public place, I can usually fend them off. I don't know how or why, but they seem to attack and then drift away after 10 minutes. That never ever happens when I get one at home.  

Another phenomenon is that if I am in the middle of one, an 8 on the kip scale, my memory increases. For example, right now , pain free, I couldnt name 5 kids in my first grade class, but during an attack I could name almost all. The headaches must allow me to concentrate or drudge things out of my subconcious for some reason.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 11:13am »

on Feb 7th, 2004, 7:59am, rob__d wrote:
Thanks for the kind advice everyone.  
However, if I happen to get one when I REALLY don't want one, say at work or in a public place, I can usually fend them off. I don't know how or why, but they seem to attack and then drift away after 10 minutes. That never ever happens when I get one at home.  

Hi again, Rob - I'd say that's because of the adrenaline theory.  Most sufferers don't get hit when the adrenaline is surging.  It's when they start to relax that the bombs start dropping.  My husband is the same way.  He is a finishing carpenter by trade, so he's very physical in his work.  He rarely gets hit during the day.  It's when he gets home at night and sits down is when the beast finds him.  I wish we could figure a way to keep you guys pumped up all the time, but then the sleep deprivation would probably kill you.  It's a vicious circle, isn't it?  Sad

Also, you say you're getting hit just after falling asleep.  Rob, go to Shoppers Drug Mart and get yourself some generic Gravol or generic Benadryl.  Take two before bed and it will most likely let you get through the night.  It doesn't let you reach REM sleep which is when clusters hit.  Don't take it for more than a few days in a row but do try it, ok?

Hang in there!

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 11:23am »

Hi Rob Welcome aboard...sorry to read that your getting hit...hope you find some PF time soon....sending you vibes from across the pond...

Cathy  Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

brad267
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 12:09pm »

Hi Rob,

Welcome aboard, eh.

Brad
IP Logged

-- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001), "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 2:43pm »

Welcome to the board Rob,
BTDT with the Stadol, I did not do too well with it, and I usually like narcotics but that stuff made me sick and dizzy, and I still had a HA.  

For more conventional meds look here most of which I have tried and most work. Oxygen gives relief without nasty side effects, look here for info.

PFDAN's
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 7th, 2004, 6:49pm »

Welcome to the Maelstrom.
Like Don says "stay stressed, don't ever relax".
Unless you are like me. I never stress.......much.

TTFN smartass
IP Logged

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 3:10am »

on Feb 7th, 2004, 6:49pm, Kirk wrote:

Like Don says "stay stressed, don't ever relax".
smartass

Don said that?  Huh
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2004, 3:10am by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
rob__d
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Feb 8th, 2004, 7:53am »

Now this is odd...

I am 2 weeks into a cycle but PF for 3 days, but yesterday got one so took Stadol spray and as usual the headache persisited but I felt no pain.

5 hours later I got another one so I took the spray again (I don't like to take the spray so frequently but I will if I feel a doozy is on the way) and for the first time it didn't completely help. Perhaps it turned a 8 kip into a 5, that type of thing.  

Woke up last night 4 am with one, but didn't feel alot of pain, just the unmistakable throbbing and convulsing. It's as if the stadol took 8 hours to work.

This stuff is scaring me- going to see the Dr tommorow for immitrex injections or 02.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss