Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 7:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « what would you do?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   what would you do??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what would you do??  (Read 398 times)
Rmatt
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

what would you do??
« on: Feb 10th, 2004, 9:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Upon waking with the beast?  With no meds?  This nightly routine is new to me.
IP Logged
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

Re: what would you do??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2004, 9:39pm »

I would HIT the oxygen!

You need to get yourself some!  Call the DR!
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2004, 10:12pm »

First thing my wife and I did upon diagnosis was to get info, ironically, that led here. Then it was a matter of finding and getting the right medications that worked for me. Oxygen is a must try. 10-15 Lpm for 10-20 minutes through a non-re-breather mask usually does the trick. Other than that Immitrex, and Verapamil would be the most common medications the first obviously an abortive and the latter a preventative.

(not everything works for everyone so finding the right meds can take time and patience. Hell its basically a crap shoot sometimes)

Try the O2 first, too much imitrex can be very harmfull to your heart.

But yeah, I would jump on my oxygen rig first thing.

Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
amen
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11th, 2004, 1:22pm »

With no meds, no O2 avail, I would try to down 3 big glasses of ice water.  Not a garuntee, but cheap and worth a try.  Or,  ice pack to the temple, or hot shower.  These have helped me.  Not totally take the pain away but enough to take the pain level down a bit.
Andrea
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11th, 2004, 10:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Take a look see here,

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm

The local fire department has oxygen if you were willing to go over to the nearest station.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11th, 2004, 10:23pm »

on Feb 10th, 2004, 9:26pm, pukedance wrote:
Upon waking with the beast?  With no meds?  This nightly routine is new to me.  

HOT, STRONG coffee....   Grin
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11th, 2004, 11:21pm »

Hi Rmatt!  Welcome "home" !!!

Here is some information I just posted to another thread.  I will copy it here, as it directly applies to what you ask about.

Quote:
You may try some of the home remedies while you are waiting for medical help.  Read the button on the left water X 3.  Try it.  

Also, many get some relief using heat or cold.  Many (myself included) use a cold pack (I use a bag of frozen peas) applied somewhere on the head or neck.  It will take some trial and error to find the spot that works best for you.  I find the best help when applied to the back of my head, just above the bottom of my hairline.  Some go out and literally stick their head in the snow for help.  Others turn the air conditioner on full, and put their head in front of the vent.  

Others get results using heat.  Maybe a VERY hot wash cloth onto your head, somewhere.  Some stand under a HOT shower.  Some use a combination of hot and cold.  

Some use excercize, while others use sexual activity to help.  Both activities are redirecting the blood flow around the body.  

Keep reading, and hopefully you will find something that helps you.  Many of these methods do not STOP the headache, but lower its severity and make it easier to deal with.  

Good luck, and keep us informed.  
Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11th, 2004, 11:28pm »

I would suck in some cold air from the A/C unit, if you have one.....and the ice pack...

that is all there is for me when I don't have meds yet.

I haven't tried O2 yet, but I have it in the closet for when my next cycle hits.

Big Hugs.....Little Deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
rumplestiltskin

Email

simple question
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 2:44am »

hard to answer...gives me the creeps just imagining not havin O2 and triptans and stuff.

I'd exercise...extremely vigorously. Run in place...jumpin jacks deep knee bends (situps are too painful) till I couldn't move or they qiut. Scream, bang my head on stuff, icepacks on my neck, temple, eye and get pissed then throw the fuckers against the wall, beg for death....and pretty soon the pain will end and that'd be that. Then go nighty nite.

good grief
den
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 5:06am »

3 Excedrin and strong black coffee sometimes works for me.  

If that don't work - I do about the same thing Dennis does - without the exercises. Just don't have the energy for that one. Go outside in the middle of the winter and "cool" down.

Then they go away.  Try Melatonin at night to get you thru the REM sleep. It's been getting me some sleep lately. Demon doesn't hit till about 3 a.m. Then I get my "wake up call" and get up and hit the coffee.  

Hope some of these things work for you.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 5:50am »

Try to get meds and O2.

Without any medications, drink coffee.  (Well, that IS a medication--caffeine.)  

Go stand outside barefoot in your pajamas with icepacks or take the hottest shower you can without burning yourself, whichever appeals more.  

Keep telling yourself it WILL end.

But please, try to get meds and O2.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 5:56am »

Just saw this in another topic:

on Feb 11th, 2004, 12:36pm, bobkip wrote:
I know I've read of this on the board a long time ago but thought it is worth mentioning again. Back in to 90s while on a business trip to Atlanta I was getting ht bad, as usual (all 9s or 10s). Since I didn't have my O2 with me my only recourse was to take the beast for a walk. One night after an hour or so of walking, I dragged myself back to my hotel with the beast still raging. I got into the shower, turned it on as hot as I could stand and soaked for 5 minutes all the while still at a 10. After the 5 minutes were up, I reached down and turned the hot water off completely. The shock from going from hot to cold was incredible but almost immediatly the ch started to diminish and after a few minutes was gone completely. I haven't tried it since but if really desperate would do so. Anybody else?
Kip
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 7:32am »

Coffee and hot showers.

Steve G
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 8:50am »

on Feb 12th, 2004, 7:32am, stevegeebe wrote:
Coffee and hot showers.

Steve G

Dammit, Steve, that's what I was going to say.......lmao.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss