Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Poster, Veteran CH'er »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Poster, Veteran CH'er
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Poster, Veteran CH'er  (Read 334 times)
Adam
New Board Newbie
USA 

Been there, might have done that!

Email

New Poster, Veteran CH'er
« on: Feb 12th, 2004, 7:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have had CH's for more than 23 years, starting when I was overseas, at 20 years old. One of my first headaches, I was drinking, and a well-meaning friend told me that perhaps I was drinking too slowly. I drank faster, and sure enough, that one went away. That particular episode was pretty short, however, the later episodes got longer and longer. I was finally diagnosed in 1994, after I had read up on the subject.  

I get episodes usually 18 months apart (don't know why on that frequency!), but sometimes, more frequently. Most of the time, I take the pain, thrashing around or pacing without going to the doctor, taking a bunch of the other I-word, Ibuprophen. (Only went to the doctor in 1994 because I had insurance.) Found out about Imitrex during last episode, took it 5 or 6 times, broke the cycle, and the headaches went away. This last episode has been the worst in terms of pain and frequency. There have been several times that I have thought about ending it all after a couple of 6-a-days. (I have not told the wife and daughter.) I know this was pain induced, yet I am ashamed of even considering it. I don't want to ever feel that kind of pain again, and I don't want those thoughts.  

I did a little mental checklist; I am trying to quit the smoking, I am listening to the doctor about exercise (I'm not overweight, just a little out of condition), and I'm trying to get a little more serious about the schooling (I'm taking 9 hours this semester). Am taking Topomax right now (75 mg.) as a preventive, Imitrex for immediate onset. This stuff is so damn EXPENSIVE! I am a little ashamed at that, too!  

Doctor sent me to the hospital today to have a chest X-Ray, 'cause I have smoked for more than 25 years! Still need to go have a little blood work done. Anybody want to keep their kids from smoking? Show them this message! I'd be happy to share a little of my literary pain with them!
IP Logged
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

Re: New Poster, Veteran CH'er
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 7:30pm »

Welcome to the board.  Glad to have you in the family of Clusterheads.

Big Hugs....Little Deb Grin
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 11:32pm »

Welcome aboard.

Glad you are trying to stop smoking and improve your health, but sorry, that won't help the CH. Sad  Don't want to drop a bummer on you, but they come no matter what you do.  Alcahol is a definite no-no when in cycle though.

My recommendation for what it is worth is to look into Verapamil and Lithium as preventatives.  They have cut mine almost in half, and the intencity about the same, and I'm chronic.  Also, check out the O2 info on the left.  I find it to be an excellent abortive if I get to it soon enough, and it is relatively cheap if you shop around.

Read up.  There is a lot of good info available here as well as a lot of good support.  i understand you feelings of ending it all.  You are not a lone, andthere is nothing to be ashamed of for thinking about it.  Most of us have, and a few of us have actually tried.  Some have gotten the job done, but that is the reason for this site.  You now have a new family that understands what you are going through, and we are there for you when the going gets the roughest.  All you have to do is yell and we will help.  Email and IMs are available to reach us off the board if you need, or IM me for my phone number to talk directly.  

Be well,
Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 11:51pm »

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the board.

No need to be ashamed of your thoughts.  Most of us have thought and felt the same way at one time or another.

This board is a life saver!  Doesn't matter who we are or where we are.  We can come here and be among family.
So many friends can be made here.  If you need to vent, scream, yell or just talk.....this is the place.

Usually someone here around the clock....if you need anything, just let us know.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
bothofus
New Board Veteran
USA 

It's got to get better !

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15th, 2004, 9:22pm »

Great to see you found a nice bunch of people to be around.  Sad to see that you had the need to find this site, just like I did just a short time ago.  
As for wanting to end it all, I've had the thoughts before myself during an episode a few years back.  Hang in there, cause it's got to get better !  It already has if you found this site !
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss