Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Need quick fix »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Need quick fix
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Need quick fix  (Read 516 times)
musicsingr
New Board Newbie
USA 

Need quick fix
« on: Feb 12th, 2004, 10:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband is suffering from what we think is one of these cluster headaches.......I need something to help him NOW......Anyone have any suggestions........
IP Logged
Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

Re: Need quick fix
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 11:14pm »

Hi Musicsingr,

There is no quick fix for these.  You might get him to a Fire Dept. and ask for oxygen at 10 to 15 liters per minute through a non rebreather mask.  Ice to the head helps some.  Hot showers work for others.  Strong coffee helps me some,  and some use water in large quantities.  See the water X3 button to your left.  The ER is basically useless as they will look at you as a drug seeker and narcotics are worthless to CH.

That is about all of the quick things I can think of at this time.  Read as much as you can as you have the time for other things for the future.

Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 7:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

try these for pain managementhttp://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm

Read, read, read, arm yourself with  solid cluster knowledge then get a good neuro.

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2004, 7:20am by don » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 10:14am »

We all understand the need for relief--but you need to be sure that it's cluster which is the issue. If you have not done so, please start looking for a doc who has experience in treating headache and get a good dx.

If this is an entirely new experience for you, then self-education is critical. I'd suggest you get the last of these books: inexpensive and a good way to start you learning on how to care for your husband.
---
HANDBOOK OF HEADACHE MANAGEMENT, 2nd ed., Au. Joel Saper, MD, 1999, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. A highly condensed volume for doctors but good for "advanced" clusterheads who have a grasp of medical terminology and medications. Covers all types of headache with the section on cluster being brief. Sections on general considerations in treatment and on medications are important.

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. This volume is better organized and easier to read for nonprofessionals compared to Saper's book. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 1:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 12th, 2004, 10:31pm, musicsingr wrote:
My husband is suffering from what we think is one of these cluster headaches.......I need something to help him NOW......Anyone have any suggestions........

No quick fixes for CH, you need a diagnosis and a doctor (who actually knows about CH) can start him on preventative meds to keep the beast at bay and then prescribe him abortives, either o2 or a triptan.  Good luck!

Paige
IP Logged
miCHel
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 4:23pm »

Hello Musicsingr,

I truly hope it is not CH you will have to deal with.  For starters, try the cluster quiz on the left of this page.  It won't replace a good doctor's opinion but it might help you.

If it is CH, than there are lots of things to try and experience.  I am sure you will be supplied with all the answers you need right here.

Good luck with everything!

miCHel
IP Logged

Good one Scotty! Now beam down my clothes...
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 7:29pm »

on Feb 12th, 2004, 10:31pm, musicsingr wrote:

I know this is late, but if it is CH, you will undoubtedly be in the same position soon.  The fire dept. suggestion offered by Jerry is about your best bet for a "quick" abortive.  You can attempt the same thing in an ER, but you will have to wait (alot) and the attack will probably be over before you are able to get him seen.  Don't wait in getting an appointment with a doc.  The O2 treatment should be safe enough even if it isn't CH...

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss