Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « return visit »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   return visit
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: return visit  (Read 366 times)
Carolyn

Email

return visit
« on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 4:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am back for a return visit.  My last CH was about 2 years ago and this board was a godsend.  But, my period of relief is over for awhile as of last week.  So, here I go on the merry chase again!!  This time they started differently though.  Usually I start out with fairly mild ch every 3 nights, then over a week it increases in severity to every night and occasionally during the daytime.  However, this time I started right in with 10’s 2 x a nite.  My imitrex is not giving the relief it did in the past. (I take the tablets, cannot tolerate the injections)  They used to give me relief within 15 minutes, now I am lucky if any relief comes within an hour.  I have had no success with verapamil, prednisone tapers, ergotamine or a multitude of other medications.  Some would work for awhile, but then would become useless.  I have been seeing a lot of references to magnesium and to melatonin.  I am going to give those a try.  Even if the imitrex works, I have to find an alternative treatment, because 9 pills a month are not going to come close to what I need.  I have used all the alternative treatments here, water, ice, heat.  And, depending on the mood of the beast, sometimes some of them will give a little relief.

I cannot fathom trying to exercise when in the throes of this pain, just making it to the kitchen for some water is a major feat in itself.  I also notice many of you do not have a sound sensitivity.  I can’t even stand to have anyone in the same room breathing loudly.  About the best I can do is sit in the middle of my bed in a dark room and rock back and forth and cry.

So, here I go for another 3 months.  Just keep reminding myself…they do end, thank God.  It really helps to have this site to refer to and remind yourself that there are others out there in the same situation and also happen across new and different methods of handling the things.

Thanks everyone.
IP Logged
nina
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: return visit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 6:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry to hear ch are back.  My ch are back as well.  Actually they never went away completely but reduced in numbers significantly.  I am hoping they will go back to 1-2 in a 24 hr period after spring.  Here's wishing you the best and it' s good to hear from you!  Take care!
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 8:18pm »

Sorry to hear the pains have returned.  
You say you can't tolerate the Imitrex injections but not why you can't. Is it too much at one time. Under the imitrex tip button on the left side of your screen you can learn how to use a half or third of a shot. Less strain on the heart and less $$ to spend. There are other triptans available if imitrex doesn't work.
How much verapamil were you taking? Many are way up around 800mg a day and some use lithium with the verapamil.  
Have you tried pure oxygen, another button on the left.
Please let us know.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Carolyn

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 8:41pm »

Yes, the first time I tried the injection was too much.  I have heart arrythmias, so I tend to be very cautious on this type of medicine and the reaction I had frightened me.  I then had the doc get me vials so I could use half a dose.  Tried that, but on half the dose would get another ha in about 2 hours.  

Re your question on verapamil, it was many many years ago and I honestly don't remember what the dosage ended up being, it was changed a number of times, but just eventually didn't work at all. I am an "old lady", lol and have had these devils for over 30 years. (So much for the myth about them going away when you get older) I suppose it might be possible that since it was so long ago, maybe it is worth revisiting again.

I have not tried pure oxygen.  If this melatonin exercise doesn't work, will talk to my doc about doing that.  
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 8:50pm »

Old woman?..........LMAO. At 55? You're still in your prime. Grin

Many people have said they believe they get re-bound headaches from imitrex. Try the oxygen. It's cheap, safe, non-habit forming and won't cause re-bounds.
IP Logged

Carolyn

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 9:02pm »

Chuckle, chuckle.  You guessed the age right on.  I will get the o2.

Thanks, you are a sweetheart.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 9:37pm »

I'm psychic.  

I also know that you first signed on to this site on Feb 13th, 2002, at 6:28am. Why were up so early on Friday the 13th?

And I know your e-mail address. Is it Cars**?

And I know if I click on your name it won't tell me where you live.
IP Logged

Carolyn

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 9:57pm »

Silly me!!!!! Didn't realize the age showed up there.  Yes e-mail is correct.

It's probably not too much of a reach to imagine I was recovering from a bad night of HA on February 13, 2002. As I recall that was a really bad cycle that year.   Boy, is my cycle pretty much on time or what....almost 2 years exactly.

Live out in the country outside of a little bitty town called Tipton in Missouri.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:10pm »

Bet your first reaction to my last message was

"Who the heck is this wierdo? How does he know so much about me? Am I being watched?"

LOL..........welcome back to the board.
IP Logged

rob_d
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:31am »

Carolyn I am the same as you...the slightest sound or activity is completely intolerable.
IP Logged
Carolyn

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:42am »

Yes, sound is awful.  Had one hit hard at 5:00am.  Was sitting up with a cold plastic mustard bottle (fits right into the eye and nose space and comes in handy for bonking myself in the head) when my dog started licking his paw.  Thought I was going to have to kill him, lol!!!
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23rd, 2004, 1:36pm »

You found us. Still here....Guys like Bob and me never go away.

It's been nearly 13 years since my last cycle but I remember that sound was a major deal for me. I wanted dead silence; not a sound of any kind--dark and a cool place to sit and moan. I could be dangerous otherwise.  

You qualify for a youngster by the way. I'm the same age as the idiots we elect to save us from evil doers.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss