Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Self Diagnosed today in South Carolina »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Self Diagnosed today in South Carolina
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Self Diagnosed today in South Carolina  (Read 344 times)
beerbarge
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Self Diagnosed today in South Carolina
« on: Mar 11th, 2004, 11:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Been going on 5 years. Thought it was allergies and had a wisdom tooth pulled(thought I had an exposed nerve). Went to the doctor two days ago because I think the asprin ate a hole in my stomach but I prefaced that my main concern was the headaches and all he was concered about was the stomach. I said I get these headaches that are debilitating and 1/5 of Grey Goose can't even put a dent in them. He prescribed some antibiotics and a new allergy pill.  
The wisdom tooth episode was funny. My head hurt so bad and I had run out of painkillers on the 4th of July weekend. I hurt so much I called the doctor on that weekend for another re-fill. He said it should go away. I informed him I had been drinking straight Vodka for 3 hours and it hurt more than ever. He got me filledSmiley
At one point I Quit smoking for a month and it went away for over a year. Tried again to quit in November and it started again (go figure).  
I think it started because of  wreck I was in a little over 5 years ago. Put my head into a windshield.
Things I've Tried
1. Large quantities of vodka(mostly Fris & Grey Goose)
2. Aspirin
3. Precription allergy pills 2 kinds
Looks like there is a doctor close by. I'll be contacting him pronto. Get some O2. Have one coming on right now. Used to go away after 1 cigarette. Now it is unpredictable. Had the worse one ever 2 days ago. This is all so confusing. On the bright side looks like I'm going to have to revisit some recreational activities from my college days . Hope to hell it works. This is starting to get out of hand. The funny part is I had to diagnose myself. Thank God for webmd. I almost skipped the cluster headache article. This is a great board and IMO what the internet is all about. Any other recommedations or specific first steps would be appreciated.
I am curious are most of us right or left handed. I personally am a lefty and the left side of my face is what is afflicted with this hellish crap. Sorry for the rant.
Rob
IP Logged

Take a kid fishing! Most fun you will ever have on the water!
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

Re: Self Diagnosed today in South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 12:35am »

Welcome Rob. Sorry you had to diagnose yourself, but there's a few others that have also. You should still seek out a knowledgeable md/neuro to make sure your self-diagnosis is correct. However, I see nothing wrong with giving o2 a shot while you're waiting. It works for me, in fact, I expect to be sucking it in about an hour or two as my nightly appointment with the demon is almost upon me.

Keep researching and do a lot of reading on this site also. You will find great help here.

Most evidence would suggest that things you have done in the past or things that have happened to you have no bearing on whether or not you are afflicted with this disease. My personal opinion is that if you're gonna get 'em, you're gonna get 'em no matter what.

Good luck battling this, and you've come to the right place.

Oh, almost forgot. I'm right-handed and I have 'em on the right side for some episodes, and the left side for others about equally. Current episode is on the left side.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2004, 12:37am by FZfan » IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 12:43am »

Welcomw to Clusterville. Sorry you HAD to find us but glad you did.  

There is a wealth of information on theis message board.  Get into the doc as soon as you can. Read everything to the left and take the Cluster Quiz..  Read up on stuff from OUCH so that when you go to the doctor, he might actually be more likely to help you more because you have infi

OFWishes to you,
Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 4:23am »

Sounds like you've learned that you can't out-drink a cluster headache. Alcohol is probably the most common trigger there is.
Aspirin probably won't help with clusters nor will other pain killers including hard drugs.
Get to a nuerologist that is knowledgeable in clusters. There are medicines and other treatments available to help you get through.
Welcome to the board.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 5:05am »

Alcohol is a definite trigger to most of us with cluster headaches when in cycle.  You might want to stay clear of that for now. Some melatonin has helped many of us--see old links on this med.  Advice is correct on above with seeing a neuroligists who specializes in headaches to confirm your diagnosis and rule out secondary headache causes.  Most general physicians are clueless on these things.

Also, I believe you mentioned investigating the "alternative treatment"; it can be found here: www.clusterbusters.com

I wish you the best of luck,-- stay around,

John
IP Logged
beerbarge
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

OT- I uRe: Self Diagnosed today in South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 5:25am »

Thank You for the kind replies. I plan on seeing a neurologist when I get back from Denver next week. Just tol rule everything out.But between webmd and this board I am almost 100% sure this is my issue.
IP Logged

Take a kid fishing! Most fun you will ever have on the water!
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 6:02am »

You should get a neurologist with experience in headaches to confirm your self-diagnosis.  

Second step would be abortives (Imitrex, oxygen) and preventatives (verapamil, melatonin, etc) unless you go the psilocybin route.

Alcohol triggers attacks in a lot of us so if you have CH you might not want to drink.

Hope you don't have CH but if you do, you've found the right spot.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2004, 6:02am by t_h_b » IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 7:34am »

Forgot to mention, start a diary stating time of headaches, length, severity, etc.  Also, take the cluster quiz to the left and print it out for the doc.

John
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 7:46am »

Your accident is a clue that some follow-up exams may be helpful. Major headache is associated with head trauma for some people--at least talk to the doc about.  

Stop the alcohol: if you have clusters it will only make the attack worse.

But strongly agree: getting a good Dx is the first step.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Janice

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 8:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Rob, I also was told it was my wisdom teeth & my sinus.  After self diagnosing myself, I went back to my regular doctor who had to refer to his medical books to find out what CH was.  Not much was known about them 25 yrs ago.  One thing you will learn is what works for one person may not work for you, but that you will try anything to stop the pain.  Also, for me, what works one season will not work the next go-round.  We all are human lab rats to the doctors.  My medicine cabinet is full of drugs that did not work.  So beware, it can get expensive in your search for something that does work.  And then you have to deal with these stupid insurance companies that will not give you the amount of the drugs that work for you.  Best of luck to you.  But keep coming back to this website.  It's truly helped me.  the people that I have met have all been super!  After all, we have a common bond......a pain from the pits of hell.  Hang in there!  I will be praying for you.
Janice
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 10:53am »

Rob, where do you live in SC? I live in Columbia (Lexington county)....drop me an email....may be able to help with a neuro....Btw, my chs are in remission and have been now for over a year...only have some mild breakthrus....they started on the right side but switched to the left after many years of torment...  smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss