Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 10:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « aeara few more questions please »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   aeara few more questions please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: aeara few more questions please  (Read 376 times)
sgarner
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

aeara few more questions please
« on: Mar 13th, 2004, 4:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems to be the verdict that chiropractic is a waste of time (according to the posts).

I asked a question several weeks ago about surgery. Specifically gamma knife radiology surgery.  Most were very pesimistic about surgery but the gnr surgery was hardly mentioned (mostly other types were mentioned). Has anyone actually tried the the gamma knife succesfully or unsucessfully.

Shadows. What is the correct definition of a shadow?

I remember hearing the term "cluster headache" from a neuro 10 years ago. Suffered every few years with episodes and was put through enough MRI's that I just quit mentioning it to doctors and found that after a couple of weeks the headaches went away as quick as they came.

Now, however I am going on a year with HA and actually had the most severe ones start about this time last year.  Had some KIP 10's then but after being placed on verapamil the 10's have been replace with 6-8's.  This last week was particulary bad because only worked 4 hours a day 3 days and couldn't work at all for 2 days. Currently on verapamil, bacoflen and indocin (not sure about correct spelling on these)

Any comments would be helpful and appreciated.  I am finding that the people on this board are the ONLY people in the world that understand what I am going through.  I have had 6 or 7 kidney stones and would trade most of the Kidney stones for a HA anytime.  Most that have had kidney stones can't believe that statement.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: aeara few more questions please
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2004, 4:36am »

A shadow is that delicately sensitive sensation behind the eye that lets you know that the devil is not through with you, or as Mr. Happy said
 “just enough of a residual Hint to keep living that "Totally Justifiable Paranoia" lifestyle”

About the surgery, Click these

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_surgical_treatments_cluster_h eadaches_000099_10.htm
Surgical treatments for CH. All have risks. University of Maryland site.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/74124.html
Rodger Griffin (1-11-01, Stereotactic Radio Frequency Rhizotomy)  

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/100398.html
Margi (7-12-01) list of posts about NOT having surgery

http://www.allsands.com/Misc1/gammakniferadi_uux_gn.htm
describes Gamma Knife Radiosurgery

http://www.neurosurgery.ufl.edu/ClinSpec/trigeminal.html
Microvascular decompression (Janetta procedure) surgery for Trigeminal Neuralgia
(Be VERY wary of this site. I don’t believe a word it says.)

http://drjho.com/id68.htm
Endoscopic Microvascular Decompression and Percutaneous Glycerol Rhizotomy    Trigeminal Neuralgia surgery (I wouldn’t trust this site or doctor. I only put it up to show what bullshit is available for the right $$$’s)
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Mr.YL
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2004, 12:55am »

The shadow thing is what Bob said, it's like an (a-roar-a)
before the hit, and yes for me it puts me on the edge just waitin for the hit to come...anxiety...geesh at an all time high with the shadow.

As for baclofen my experience was it made the ch last longer and more intense...
Now I got o2 and a support system...Mr.YL
IP Logged

keep livin clean...
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2004, 4:03pm »

A few remedies that you might try on your own would be melatonin (see old post on this board).  About 50% of us have had some degree of luck with this herb.  Also, 5-HTP might be benefiticial in combination with the melatonin.  Be sure to read any warnings on 5-HTP before trying.  B complex vitamins have helped me along with a general multi vitamin.  

In the past I have used imitrex injections to abort individual headaches.  I now have O2 here at the house in case I need it.  My current cycle has been totally prevented and should be in full swing by now by this therapy:
  www.clusterbusters.com

The very best of luck to you,

John
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14th, 2004, 9:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
It seems to be the verdict that chiropractic is a waste of time (according to the posts).

Yes and no.  For the actual cluster pain, chiropractic doesn't seem to help.  The consensus is it doesn't prevent, and I doubt it aborts (never went to a chiropractor at 4 am while under attack.) For the neck pain that can accompany clusters, I have found that chiropractic has some value.  A week or two of clusters leaves my neck out of whack, and an adjustment helps with that.  Yoga, physical therapy, or showers are also good as general support.   Hot or cold during an attack has its fans - hot on the neck and cold on the forehead seems to be most popular.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss