Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « pregnant and suffering »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   pregnant and suffering
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: pregnant and suffering  (Read 371 times)
stacyb
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

pregnant and suffering
« on: Mar 15th, 2004, 7:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi! It is 7 a.m. and in my search for information after another sleepless night I found this site, thank God! I have not been formally diagnosed with cluster headaches but I think that's what I've got and I need some advice.
I have not had a bad headache for almost three years. Now, I am 5 months pregnant and the past week I have been woken up every morning around 5 a.m. in severe pain on the left side of my head, neck and shoulder. Any advice on how to cope. I don't like to take ANY medication (not even aspirin) while pregnant.
I had similar headaches for years but only about once a month and they stopped altogether about 3 years ago when I got pregnant with my first child.
PLEASE HELP!!
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: pregnant and suffering
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 8:48am »

Sorry to hear you're hurting. You need to get a diagnoses from a doctor/neurologist. The symptoms you state, in my humble opinion, do not sound like clusterheadaches. But I'm not a doctor so don't listen to me. On the left side of the screen is a button 'cluster quiz'. Have you taken the quiz yet? Please do and let us know what is says. Sure hope it's not clusters but if it is you've come to the right place.

And congratualtions on the soon-to-be-newborn. I admire you for not taking medicines while pregnant.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Melissa

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 9:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Stacy,

First of all, congrats on the pregnancy!  Secondly, you really need to get to a doc, preferably a neurologist, to get a correct diagnosis.  It is rare for women who are pregnant, to have cluster attacks during their pregnancy.  Most women go into remission completely while pregnant.  Also, it is good you're NOT taking asprin, because OB's recommend Tylenol (acetomenaphin (sp?)) instead if you absolutely have to take something.  I encourage you to do what BobG recommended, and that is take the "cluster quiz" on the left.  Either way, I wish you a pain and trouble free pregnancy. Smiley

melissa
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 10:03am »

Hi Stacy, if you do get a cluster diagnosis, INSIST on oxygen - it's the most benign of the cluster abortives.  Best of luck to you and I hope you don't have clusters.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
stacyb
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 10:19am »

Smiley Thank you all for the replies so far. I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon so I will keep you posted. It's funny because I was having bad headaches before my first pregnancy and they stopped COMPLETELY during and after and just began again last week but these are more intense and only come at night.  
Thank you again for the advice. I took the quiz and the results all point towards clusters but we will see.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Compex issue
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 1:35pm »

Because of the subtle complexities involved, it's very important to work with your ob/gyn/neurologist on this question.

These two books have sections discussing the choices and concerns. You may find them in the medical library of your hospital or, perhaps, your docs already have them.

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. This volume is better organized and easier to read for nonprofessionals compared to Saper's book. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

Also, Randolph Evans & Ninan Mathew, HANDBOOK OF HEADACHE, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.

Explore, also: www.headachedrugs.com using the search box.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 2:52pm »

Hey Stacy

I've had these nasty things for over 14 years now.  I have had two babies during that time and in both cases the ch's were nowhere to be found during my nine months.  I had a lot of other issues (morning sickness etc) but I would much rather suffer from that then CH.  After my son was born my HA's returned after 2 1/2 months and 2 1/2 weeks with my daughter and I had to stop breast feeding to resume taking meds.  I hope that this is not in the cards for you.  Pregnancy is tough enough without adding ch to your cart.  Hope all goes well with the doc and keep us posted.

Belle
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 3:43am »

I was just wondering - how come they stop for pregnancy??   Is it a hormone thing?    hmmmmmmmmmm  - interesting.

If I had CH - I would be pregnant ALL the time.. trust me!  One after the other - I would be a baby frikkin factory I tell ya!!  

Stacy.. I how did your doctor appointment go??

Tina Kiss
IP Logged
tnpruby
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 8:25am »

Hi Stacy, best wishes w/ the bambino arriving, how exciting. Sorry you are hurting, sometimes when your hormones your out of whack, with all respect , we all know they are , your estrogen level could be extrememly high and cause the headaches. However , only a neurologists can diagnose you w/ CH. I surely hope you dont have them but you are in the right place if you do. Big hugs and best of luck, let us know how you are doing...also the thought of no meds during an attack make me shiver...keep us posted.  Toni
IP Logged
Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 12:19pm »

on Mar 17th, 2004, 3:43am, Woobie wrote:
If I had CH - I would be pregnant ALL the time.. trust me!  One after the other - I would be a baby frikkin factory I tell ya!!  

Tina Kiss

I went to the hospital (from a HA) shortley after I had my 2nd child.  The doc asked a whole bunch of questions bcz he didn't know much about it.  I told him that the only time that I went completely without them was during my 2 pregnancies.  He laughed and told me to stay pregnant and I would have no worries.  I did not laugh.

That Doc, what an idiot eh?

Belle
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 10:42am »

on Mar 17th, 2004, 12:19pm, Belle wrote:

That Doc, what an idiot eh?

Belle
 Roll Eyes

NO  --- sounds reasonable to me!  I have lots of friends who would love babies.   i would rather be pregnant than have clusters.   if being pregnant is the cure.. then I'm pregnant ...... LOL (good thing I dont have clusters....)

But i'm serious - WHY would being pregnant stop clusters??    

I'm gonna ask on the general board.

StacyB - you still there???   How are you?

check in wouldya?

tina
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24th, 2004, 4:15pm »

Hi there, and coratulations (about the baby).

I have had them for 7 years now, and they were very bad while I was pregnant. Guess my body didn't get the memo that they were supposed to stop...

If it is cluster, ask for the O2 for sure. There is also an allergy medication called Periactin which has been shown to help headaches, both cluster and migraine, for expectant ladies. Occasionally, compazine (anti-nausea med) will be prescribed to treat headaches during pregnancy, but it is less safe than the periactin.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic230.htm

Talk to your OB about it
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss