Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « new to the site, not new to clusters »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   new to the site, not new to clusters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: new to the site, not new to clusters  (Read 314 times)
amboo213
New Board Newbie
USA 

---

ladida.rm  

new to the site, not new to clusters
« on: Mar 19th, 2004, 5:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello . . . i found this website because someone read my online journal, and told me about clusterheadaches.com.  my name is amber.  i'm 24, and i have suffered episodic cluster headaches since i was 13 (maybe longer, but i can't remember).  until i was 19 my headaches were misdiagnosed as sinus headaches or ear infections or such.  
my headaches used to come for about a week or two every 14 months.  when i was on birth control i stopped getting the headaches, however the bc pills made me severely depressed, and i stopped taking them last april.  the cluster headaches returned this year on february 13th, and for the first time ever they've lasted for over a month.  
when i saw my doctor in february i was actually suffering a full-blown, severe attack right there in his office.  he gave me an imitrex shot which worked fantastic.  he prescribed 100mg imitrex pills for me to take.  turns out they worked if i took them right at onset, but if my cluster was already in the worst stage (the watering eye and nostril and the debilitating pain), the imitrex pill didn't do anything, and i'd often end up vomiting soon after taking it.  
on my next doctor visit he gave me relpax, which worked just like the imitrex: take it right at onset or get no effect.  he also started me on elavil (amitryptyline, 25mg).  it doesn't prevent the clustes, as my doctor said it should, but it has made them much more tolerable, and it knocks me out at night, so at least i can go to sleep without being terrified i'll wake up in the wee hours in pain.  
however, i'm concerned about the side effects of elavil, and i'm almost certain they're giving me anxiety and/or depression (although someone told me that the headaches could be the cause of that).  
i took this week off from work in the hopes that being stress-free for a week will end this year's cluster session . . . but it hasn't worked so far.  i've only ever been an episodic sufferer, but it's going on week 6, and i'm afraid it's becoming chronic.    

so that's my info in a nutshell.
IP Logged

==amber
http://umpaumpa.tripod.com
Shameless
New Board Newbie
USA 

shameless_dawn71   dawnshameless
Email

Re: new to the site, not new to clusters
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2004, 5:45pm »

Hello.  I just got done reading your post...I'm a newbie here also.  (Also a newbie to cluster headaches...mine just started in January, and haven't ended yet.)  Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that amitryptyline is an anti-depressant, so that may not be what's causing your depression.  From what I understand, depression is relatively normal when dealing with any type of headaches, but ESPECIALLY clusters.  If you're too concerned about the side effects, just bring it up to your doctor, that's what he's there for.  Good luck finding a medication that works for you.  So far it sounds like the doctor's on the right track anyways.  Take Care!
IP Logged

§hamele§§
Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2004, 6:16pm »

Hey there Amber!

Welcome to the group but sorry you have to be here.  I take 125mg of Amitryptyline at night.  I takes 2 to 3 weeks to kick in.  They have shortened my cycles from 6 months down to 3 months per year. But I do still get depressed.  It comes along with the territory I believe. Dealing with that much pain for long amounts of time would make anyone depressed.  And that's what we're here for.  Whenever your feelin down come talk with someone.  There is always someone here at all times.  We are each others support group and don't ever be afraid to ask.  Read all you can and give us all your experiences so that we can learn from them too.  Take care and keep your chin up, girl.

Belle
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 12:16am »

Welcome Amber!
I wouldn't worry about being chronic.
It sounds like you've so far been blessed with short cycles.
Mine have gotten longer every time, but I never had the luxury of anything less than 4 or 5 months.
Hope it ends soon!
IP Logged

Chris
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 7:31am »

Is there any reason why you could not continue on the Imitrex injection, especially since it worked well?

Imitrex pill is now available in a new formulation which dissolves faster than the earlier version. It may work faster; be sure to identify the type you have.

Explore www.headachedrugs.com for other ideas. An excellent site run by a good headache doc. Be patient; the layout of the site is not the best.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CPM
New Board Newbie
USA 

Cluster Phobic Medicine

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 10:55pm »

Amber,

Glad you got directed to this site. The folks hanging out here are the BEST and not only 'cause they understand CH but I think CH also creates a genuinly understanding person. The misdiagnosis is just too typical and it's even more unfair for a 13 yearold to get this. I'm not exactly the medicine man since I refuse to pop any kind of pill short of asperine, and that only for hangovers which I have never had. So side effects of pills, depressing or anti I'm absolutely clueless of. What I do know, is that many of my friends and colleges have been dealt much crappier cards than I have. My outlook on life is that it is generally not too shitty despite CH.  Don't let it scare you to have this one last longer than the others.

Best Regards

Pete
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 2:29am »

Hi Amber,

Welcome to the board.

I have to agree with Bob.  If the imitrex shot worked... then why the change in meds?  The Imitrex injections are available by rx.  Seems like the doc would have given you rx for it.  

Have you tried 02?  

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
kimblin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

b5692000  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 2:56am »

hello been there with all the misdiagnosises Undecidedi wear a tight hat to bed  like a knit cap  and take tylenol every nite before bed  it helps some   i get so depressed getting up at always 2 -3 am 3 -4 x a week Embarassed i just pray alot and maybe sopme day they will go  as mysteriously as they came  
love ya  
kimblin Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss