Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Need Advise »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Need Advise
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Need Advise  (Read 301 times)
roomie
New Board Newbie
USA 

Need Advise
« on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 8:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a 36 year old guy.  I have been suffering from intermittent headaches for about a year.  Most often, the headaches are in the evening times (6-9).  On occassion, I have been awoken with them about an hour after sleep.  

Fortunately, I have only had one a day that lasts about 30-45 minutes.  After looking at the K scale, I believe they have reached level 9 (of course, the pain is always in my left temple and around my eye, I have the droopy eye, runny nostril, and the pain radiates to my teeth).

The last couple of weeks, the pain seems to have worsened.  A couple of nights, I got two headaches in a row (I would've welcomed death for relief).

I avoid the doctor, and don't really have one.  I finally picked one when I thought I was at deaths door and had my first visit today.  He is a GP, not a Neurologist.  After 30 minutes, he took blood and gave me some samples of Frova.  After trying these samples, he will determine whether or not for me to have a CAT scan.

I guess the stress of the day caused me to get this headache earlier.  I started getting one about 5:45 and it was getting progressively worse.  I took one of the Frova.  It helped within 15 mins. and actually went away.  I feel the twinge of it coming again, however (it is 7:15).

Has anyone used this drug with success?  Also, is there anyone in Houston Texas that can recommend a good neurologist for this condition?

I have to say, I never knew that such pain could exist and that any person could handle such pain.  Any advice or input would be appreciated.
IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

Re: Need Advise
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 8:41pm »

Hey roomie,
 Someone else will have to give you advise on Frova.
 My advise is, get a  referral to see a neurologist and read as much as you can here.
 Good luck. welcome to the sight,
...Mark..
IP Logged
Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:13pm »

Dr. Ninan Mathew at the Houston Headache Clinic is one.  There are plenty of people from Houston here, I'm sure you will get some other recommendations.

Frova never worked for me, have you taken the Cluster Quiz, see link to the left.  Also try O2.
IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
CPM
New Board Newbie
USA 

Cluster Phobic Medicine

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:34pm »

Roomie,

Sounds like it may take a whlie for you to get a clear answer to your pain. My advise is to read up on O-TWO and if you're content with what you read, invest in a tank to see if it gives you relief. Keep after the doc and insist on being referred to a neuro.

Pete
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:16am »

O2 O2 O2!!!!
Cat scans aren't gonna do shit but cost money.
For that matter, most Doctors aren't gonna do much more...
But oxygen just might... Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:21am by Superpain » IP Logged

Chris
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 1:46am »

Welcome to the board, Roomie

I took Frova when I was in cycle.  It didn't ease the pain, but it did shorten the length of the CH.  With no meds, I suffered for an hour to hour and half.  When I got the Frova....it took about 13 to 18 minutes and the pain was gone.

I also went on a Prednisone taper.  The Pred ended the cycle and I have been PF since.  The Pred doesn't work for everyone.....most folks here that have taken it, say their ha's came back after the taper.  Guess I was a bit lucky.....today is 196 days PF.

We must be neighbors.....I live north of Houston in the Kingwood area.    

Hope you find the right meds to help you.  Let us know how things are going for you.

Sending lots of PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Luke63
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

For sale:  1 BIG BARKING  HEAD   Price: Free

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24th, 2004, 5:31pm »

Tell the doc to refer you to a Neuro...and second ..tell him to get you some O2. If you can abort the headaches with it...then u might not even need to start on drugs....most of us hate drugs man..really hate em.   luke
IP Logged

I think we should all get together and do a movie..."Night of The Clusterheads". George Romero would have nothing on us!!!
roomie
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 4:15pm »

Thanks to you all for the input.  I am finding that Frova does nothing to help the pain, but does seem to shorten the length of the CH.

I have yet to try O2, but am certain that it is my next choice (I hate the idea of drugs myself).  One thing that has helped has been alternating ice packs and letting a hot shower spray on my temple.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss