Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Ch andheart problems? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Ch andheart problems?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ch andheart problems?  (Read 266 times)
djsdds
New Board Newbie
USA 

CRAZINESS!!

Ch andheart problems?
« on: Mar 29th, 2004, 10:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi I'm one of the newcomers, Smiley

I've had clusters for 20 years, I never get aha when I'm pregnant, so I have 4 kids!  Now the kids are a headache so I've got to find another answer! JK

I read recently people born with heart problems are more prone to vascular headaches.  Anyone hear anything? Julie
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

Re: Ch andheart problems?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2004, 10:48pm »

Welcome to clusterville. Sorry I cant help with our question. About all I know is about the risk of tripans and heart issues. I am sure there are smarter people then me who can help you out with specifics.  

PF Wishes to you,
-Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Pegase
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Hit the Road Jack...

« Reply #2 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 9:43am »

Got no anwser too... WelcomeWink

Pegase
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 1:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I inverted your question: are people with cluster headaches more prone to heart problems??  No clear answer on this, but some reason to believe it may be true.  

There is something called HRV (heart rate variability) that is a risk factor for heart problems (just like cholesterol and triglycerides are risk factors).  People with cluster headaches tend to have a low HRV (which is bad).  This is linked to an autonomic nervous system that isn't working quite right.  As a result, the heart does not respond normally to increased load.  

Something that has been shown beneficial for heart rate variability in men (but maybe not for women Huh ) are the n-3 fatty acids (fish oil, flax oil).  It has not been specifically tested on people with clusterheadaches - our unique metabolisms may or may not respond to n-3 fats.  I'm guessing that we might benefit, and the risks of adding a little fish or flax to the diet is low (I try to take some fish or flax oil each day).  

Moderate exercise is also a good idea.  

Triptans increase a persons risk of heart problems - depending on their individual reaction and dose.  Never mix different triptans - if one type doesn't help, wait until that clears your body before you try another.  

Quote:
Ann Ital Med Int. 2003 Jan-Mar;18(1):42-6. Related Articles, Links

Heart rate variability in cluster headache.

Tubani L, Baratta L, Giorgino F, Delfino M, Fiore G, Golluscio V, Giacovazzo M.

Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Universita degli Studi La Sapienza di Roma.

Eight patients with cluster headache were studied by evaluating the heart rate variability on the basis of 24-hour ECG monitoring performed during attacks (critic periods) to demonstrate if any imbalance of the autonomic nervous system was present and to determine its temporal correlation, if any, with the attack. The same monitoring allowed us to compare the patients' data during headache-free periods (intercritic periods) with those of normal controls. Our investigation demonstrated a severe sympathovagal imbalance during spontaneous attacks: the parasympathetic drive is at once increased at the onset with a mild reduction of the sympathetic drive, and all these modifications slowly disappear at the end of each attack. Comparison of the average low-frequency and high-frequency values during intercritic periods showed a significant reduction in the low-frequency values in patients, even when the low-frequency/high-frequency ratio was normal. This is highly suggestive of the presence of an autonomic nervous system dysfunction.

continued next post
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2004, 1:59pm by floridian » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 1:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Dan Med Bull. 2003 Nov;50(4):347-67. Related Articles, Links

n-3 fatty acids and the risk of sudden cardiac death. Emphasis on heart rate variability.

Christensen JH.

Department of Nephrology, Aalborg Hospital, DK-9100 Aalborg.

Marine n-3 PUFA have potential antiatherogenic, antithrombotic, and antiinflammatory properties. However, recent research have addressed the antiarrhythmic effect of these fatty acids as a major explanation for their beneficial role in IHD and such an effect may explain the reduction in the incidence of SCD observed among fish eaters. SCD remains a serious problem in the Western Countries and although prevention of SCD is one of the main targets in modern cardiology the incidence of SCD has not declined during the past decades. Therefore, there is a need for other approaches to reduce the incidence of SCD. Thus, the aims of this study were 1) to study the impact of n-3 PUFA on 24-hour HRV, a recognized predictor of arrhythmic events and SCD in high-risk patients and in healthy subjects, and 2) to review the current knowledge about n-3 PUFA and the risk of SCD in humans and the proposed actions of n-3 PUFA responsible for an antiarhythmic effect. Subjects eating a modest amount of marine n-3 PUFA have an approximately 50% reduction in the risk of SCD compared to subjects not eating fish and in one study there was a close negative association between the risk of SCD and the cellular level of n-3 PUFA. Two large intervention studies support a beneficial effect of n-3 PUFA on the risk of SCD. In the DART study from 1989 a significant 29% reduction was found among post-MI men advised to eat fatty fish twice a week compared to those not advised so. This reduction could not be explained by an antiatherosclerotic or an antithrombotic effect of n-3 PUFA and an antiarrhythmic effect was considered operative. Ten years later the GISSI Prevenzione trial showed a 45% reduction in SCD among post-MI patients given one fish oil capsule daily (equal to 0.85 g of n-3 PUFA). The mechanisms behind the protection against SCD from marine n-3 PUFA have mainly been addressed in animal and in-vitro studies in which n-3 PUFA have shown profound antiarrhythmic effects. Based on the emerging hard end point data on the effect of n-3 PUFA on SCD in humans it is of importance to investigate if n-3 PUFA have actions in humans comparable to data from non-human studies. A surrogate for the risk of developing ventricular arrhythmias and SCD in humans is 24-hour HRV. Thus, in patients with IHD the risk of malignant ventricular arrhythmias and SCD is increased with decreased HRV. On the opposite, pharmacological interventions resulting in an improved patient survival have been associated with an increased HRV. In our studies we found positive associations between the cellular levels of marine n-3 PUFA and HRV in post-MI patients and in patients referred for coronary angiography suspected of IHD. Also, in these patients cellular levels of marine n-3 PUFA were independently correlated with HRV. When post-MI patients were given 5.2 g of marine n-3 PUFA daily for 12 weeks their HRV significantly increased. These findings may help explain why marine n-3 PUFA offer protection against SCD in patients with IHD. Patients with CRF and patients with DM comprise patient populations with an increased risk of SCD and an attenuated HRV. In these two groups of patients we found a close positive association between the cellular level of marine n-3 PUFA and HRV suggesting a beneficial effect of marine n-3 PUFA on HRV. Further research with dietary intervention with n-3 PUFA to CRF and DM patients should clarify if this effect can be translated into a reduction of coronary events. A decreased HRV may predict a poor outcome among healthy subjects due to an increased risk of SCD. We found a close positive association between cellular levels of marine n-3 PUFA and HRV in healthy men but not in healthy women. Dietary intervention with either 2.0 g or 6.6 g of marine n-3 PUFA daily for 12 weeks revealed a dose-dependent increase in HRV among men with a low base-line HRV. The results may help explain why dietary marine n-3 PUFA may reduce the risk of SCD in healthy men. It is a novel observation that n-3 PUFA have a beneficial impact on HRV in humans. The results from non-human studies showing effects of n-3 PUFA on sodium channels, calcium-channels and adrenergic receptors may, if applicable to humans, explain this effect of n-3 PUFA on HRV. However, n-3 PUFA may also cause a central modulation of HRV and, n-3 PUFA may thus modulate HRV both at the level of the brain and in the heart. In conclusion, the data suggest that marine n-3 PUFA have a beneficial impact on HRV in patients at high risk of SCD and in healthy men. Furthermore, our data may indicate that the protective effect of n-3 PUFA on SCD found among post-MI patients and healthy subjects is caused by a modulation of autonomic control with increased vagal tone. Therefore, given the safety and low cost of implementing a modest amount of marine n-3 PUFA in the diet, an adequate dietary fish intake may have a significant role to play in the primary and secondary prevention of out-of-hospital SCD.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss