Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « This site helps.......... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   This site helps..........
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: This site helps..........  (Read 336 times)
jonbob
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

This site helps..........
« on: Apr 10th, 2004, 3:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Guys,

Just finished with a bout and I thought that it might be about time that I revisited the site that convinced me that I wasn't going mad.

I've been suffering with these damn headaches for about 6 years, and I've never really been able to get any help.  Every time that I've been to a Doctor/Neurologist, they try a few drugs and then seem to run out of ideas.

Mine seem to hit me mostly during the day, and I tend to find that getting angry helps me through the worst of it.  The demoralising thing is that I can set my watch by when the next one will come around.

What makes it so hard is that I've never met anyone else who has to deal with this and although my family tries to be understanding, I don't know if they can really get their head around it.

I s'pose chat room culture hasn't really hit the UK in the same way that it has Stateside so it's hard to find people to talk to.

I guess it'd just be great to hear from someone who finally has some clue about what this hell can be........

Thx

jon
IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

Re: This site helps..........
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2004, 6:12pm »

Hey Jon,
Welcome to the sight. Sorry your head's achin'.
 If you have cluster headaches,this is the place to be.
 Alot of reading and learning to be had here.
 What meds. have you tried?
 o2(abortive), Imetrex(abortive), Varipamal(preventive) pretty much does the trick for me. At least that combo allows me to keep my job.
 Take it easy,
...Mark..
IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11th, 2004, 2:01am »

Hey, Jon!  Sorry you have to be here, but welcome aboard!

There are LOTS of ch'ers in the UK .. Go to the OUCH uk site.  Lots of good info there.  They have a lot of meetings all around.  There are plenty of fine folks (if you can call any of us whackos fine .. heehee) that are more than willing to chat with ya.

Good luck and tell us more about yourself.

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11th, 2004, 4:29am »

on Apr 10th, 2004, 3:33pm, jonbob wrote:
What makes it so hard is that I've never met anyone else who has to deal with this and although my family tries to be understanding, I don't know if they can really get their head around it.

I guess it'd just be great to hear from someone who finally has some clue about what this hell can be........

Thx

jon

That is the essence of this site and why it is so important. Because only WE can truly understand. Wink
IP Logged

Chris
Nolan
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whadda' you lookin' at?

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 6:29am »

Jon,

How long are your cycles? How many HA's to you get per day?  

The right meds and prevents can probably shorten your cycle and reduce the amount/duration of pain. Imitrix and 02 works for me, although I had to deal with night pain as well.

If getting angry helps, then get angry! Put that anger to use when your not having a CH and get treatment. If you see a doctor, the info here will allow you to be better informed and know which meds to ask for. Often, they won't think it ot on their own. The good folks here will help with the rest.  

Stay in touch.

Nolan
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 9:50am »

Welcome to the MB Jon.  Sorry that yet another person needed to search us out.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Robert the.......
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

I'm gona get that CH Beastie

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 6:28pm »

Jon,

Hi Fae Me! Grin

Sorry that you suffer from this condition! Its a Fcuker!
I'm a very regular Poster on the OUCH UK boards (more than here) you will find loads of information, advice and Just good old British Banter over there! Grin Cool

Pay it a Visit  http://www.ouchuk.org then message board.

It can be a fairly busy board (Not as busy as this one mind but just as Mad)

Hope to see you on the Blightly Boards

Scott
IP Logged
mrs mac
New Board Veteran
Scotland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 6:42pm »

hi jon, i am also from the uk, hi scott!!!! Wink

come and pay us a visit, we are a good bunch, no offense to any one over here!!! Roll Eyes

nice to meet everyone from over this side of the water

sandra
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13th, 2004, 4:26am »

Hi Jon,

Welcome.

You are absolutely correct........NOONE can grasp the pain and effects of CH, unless they've had them.

I have sat and tried to explain CH to my grown children, and my sister.  I mean no disrespect to them.....but I mostly get these blank looks.  They have no idea!  My youngest son just turned 28 and has suffered from migraines for several years.  He is the only one that I feel can understand, even though it's a totally different kind of pain.

You really should try and get together with some fellow CH'ers.  There's nothing like it!  The greatest feeling in the world for me was meeting other CH'ers.  There's an automatic bond, and the feeling that you've known them all your life.

Hope things get better for you.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
jonbob
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 12:28pm »

Just wanted to say thanks for your responses guys.

I must admit that it's been a while since i last visited the Doc to see what he could do.  The only thing I was a bit worried about was going to the GP and telling him what meds I think he should prescribe me with.

On second thoughts....Stuff that, I'm getting sick of these things, can you give me some ideas on what's the best thing to start off with?

Graci

jon

PS Cheers to Scott and Sandra, I'll check out OUCH soon Cool
IP Logged
Robert the.......
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

I'm gona get that CH Beastie

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 7:56pm »

Jon

I IM'd you on the UK board to say hi!  

hey its 1am I noticed the New members update how sad is that. but the Beast will hit soon so I'm gona wait it out tonight!

Sod that to the Docs from Me if it wasn't for us telling them what we need we wouldn't ever get it. Thats our NHS for you.

Scott
IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 9:58pm »

Hi Jon and welcome to the board.Sorry however you have CH. You mention that you've never met another sufferer,  well there is a meeting for CH sufferers and their supporters in London on June 27th [details on OUCH UK].Main speaker is Proffessor Goadsby one of the best neuros re CH in the world ! Try and get there if you can!
    All the best Filbert
IP Logged
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 10:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Jon,

The fact that you get the headaches at the same time each day is quite a common trait to cluster headaches. You must somehow demand a referral from your GP to see a Neurologist. In the US, this is painstaking (on top of the painstaking headaches). At times, it can take 3 months to get in with a neuro.

In that case, get a list of neuros, and call them EVERYDAY. They always will have cancellations. It is imperative you get seen as soon as possible. and for your sake lets hope you get seen by a knowledgable headache neurologist. IF he/she is not knowledgable about CHs, show him/her literature (from this and the OUCh website), leave it for them to read.

Find a neuro who knows, and has/is treated(ing) CHs.

Good luck, and hope yer head feels better.

Inquire about Verapamil, Topamax, and Lithium for preventatives

Inquire about Imitrex injections and oxygen as abortives.

This is your first line defense.

-Scott
IP Logged
jonbob
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 2:18pm »

I think that maybe it would be good idea to beat a few of our UK GP's round the head with a copy of the BNF - perhaps not ultimately all of that effective, but perhaps a little 'headache' of their own would be an incentive.

Had a virtually pain free day yesterday - I thought I'd give the water treatment a try - bizaarly it seemed to work.  Got struck down today at 3pm, but isn't wasn't as bad or as long as normal.  I'll keep you posted over the next few days to let y'all know how its going.

Question : What is it about O2 and water that seems to help the problem?

Any thoughts?
IP Logged
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 6:04pm »

Jon,

I don't know about the water, but in the case of the o2 I believe breathing pure o2 at a high flow rate saturates the blood with o2 quickly. The brain detects this and constricts blood vessels to compensate. At least that's the way I understand it in it's basic form. Someone more knowledgable might explain this better or more fully.

Glad to hear the water seems to be helping.
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss