Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Bumping a post to the right section... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Bumping a post to the right section...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bumping a post to the right section...  (Read 264 times)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

Bumping a post to the right section...
« on: Apr 18th, 2004, 5:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

Just noticed a newbie posting in the archives section, so i thought I'd copy and paste the post here so everyone sees it.

Quote:
Hello, my name is Kevin and I'm a newbie here.  
I was in remission for 7 glorious years, then came March 6th, 2004. I was certain I had a sinus infection (yeah right!) Even had my Dentist prescribe an antibiotic to clear it up. Obviously that didn't work, and as much as I was in denial, the real problem was becoming more and more apparent. Well as of today I'm averaging 3-5 attacks a day. Not getting ANY sleep. I wonder if anyone can answer a couple of questions..........  
1. When I finally went to the doctor to hear the inevitable, he prescribed Predidsone to try and stop the episode and put me back into remission. Has anyone had any luck with this treatment?  
2. I was also given Imitrex in pill form. Is it just me or does the pill form take to long to get into my system. Seems by the time it does I'm already full blown and at that point as we all know nothing helps.  
3. Does anyone have any close relatives who suffer.  
4. In one word, describe how bad your pain is.......  
    my ONE word would be.....mygodjustletmedie!!!!  

Nice to know there are others I can relate to.  

Take care and I hope everyone will get some sleep!!!!  
Kevin
IP Logged

wingnut04
New Board Newbie
USA 

Will Kryptonite Help??

Email

Re: Bumping a post to the right section...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 6:07am »

Hey Lizzie2
Thanks............................
Wow if this is any indication........You guys all some awesome people.
I did repost under "Cluster Specific" cuz I thought I might have screwed up.....
Thanks again....you're awesome!!!
IP Logged

During those times when it's absolutely, positively unbearable, just remember..........
Someone, somewhere, is having a harder time than you!!!
plstkr
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 12:15pm »

Your right about the imitrex tables being too slow to abort and attack, but using 2 50 mg tabs a day works as a preventative for me..try it!
IP Logged
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 1:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Welcome to the site. Just remember Imitrex tablets are not a preventative. For one, the cost. If it were, and people hearts could handle it you'd never be able to afford it.

For preventatives you are probably going to be suggested Verapamil. That is usually the first-line defense. I am on a drug called Topamax . It is an anti-seizure medication. It is very effective. Stopped the cycle dead in its tracks. A neuro may suggest it. Beware. Some people are VERY intolerant to it.

Good luck and read, read, read.

-Scott
IP Logged
Robert the.......
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

I'm gona get that CH Beastie

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 6:22pm »

Quote:
Predidsone to try and stop the episode and put me back into remission. Has anyone had any luck with this treatment?

To that one I'll say once the preds kick It gave relief from all but the worst attacks (I was on a lower dose)
Most folks that I've talked to about it say that it buys time rather than abort the cycle. I tend to agree I feel the HA returning Slowly but they are coming back!  

Welcome to the board and I hope you get things under control soon!

Scott
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 6:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Kevin

Welcome to clusterland, sorry you needed to find us.
I would ignore plstkr's advice if I were you, this may work for him/her, but is not the standard treatment advised by the experts.

As they say, have a good read around, but if your CH diagnosis is definite, the standard first line treatments for most sufferers are Imitrex nasal or injections (as you say, pills are too slow) or 02 at high flow rate to abort.
If your cycles are long or unmanageable, preventives will normally be prescribed: Verapimil, Lithium or Methysergide. Prednisolone is used short term and tapered off to "break" a cycle or buy an individual a "pain holiday", it is not a preventive as such as it cannot be used long term.

There are other treatments you will hear discussed here, but they are normally tried if the treatments of choice don't work or have stopped working.

Keep us posted and let us know how you get on

Wendy

P.S. I luuuurrrrvvvveee 02 therapy
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2004, 6:50pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 6:56pm »

Hey Kevin,

Sorry I didn't give more of a welcome when I moved your post last night!  I was up sick with a stomach ache!  I'm sorry that you've had to found us, but am glad you did when you needed it!

I agree with what has been previously mentioned...imitrex is not used as a prevent...not now anyway.  Not the safest.  Frova and Amerge have both been used as short term prevents with success for some people.  But generally, just short term (almost like doing a short pred taper) until the real preventive meds can get a good handle on it!  At least that's the impression I'm under.  

Best of luck and welcome aboard!
Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

wingnut04
New Board Newbie
USA 

Will Kryptonite Help??

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20th, 2004, 8:05pm »

Hey all-
I posted on "specific" that Sunday I ended up in the hospital (at the wife's insistance) and as a result my doc extended the preds another 6 days (60 mg. a day) and I started Verapamil. Got some Cafergot to abort.

Has any one heard of Inderal as PM. It worked for me 10 years ago. I was on it for about 2 1/2 years and PF! When I went off it I was 7+ years PF!

Well been PF since Monday around noon...woooo hoooo!
I know, sad huh.........so happy about like 30 hours.......

Gonna go with Doc's plan for now......He did mention the seizer meds may be the next step......

Did I mention I slept for 5 hours today!!!!

Good luck to all
Kevin

IP Logged

During those times when it's absolutely, positively unbearable, just remember..........
Someone, somewhere, is having a harder time than you!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss