Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Greetings from Iowa »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Greetings from Iowa
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Greetings from Iowa  (Read 517 times)
BeermanIA
New Board Newbie
USA 

eeinman  
Email

Greetings from Iowa
« on: Apr 27th, 2004, 10:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone.  My name is Ernie and I live and work in the Des Moines, Iowa area.  I originally started having these mysterious headaches about 12 years ago and it took quite some time before I was finally diagnosed as suffering from CH.

At the time I lived in Colorado, and moved to Iowa 3 1/2 years ago.  Shortly thereafter the daily rituals subsided and I thought that maybe the change in climate had something to do with it.  Alas, the damn things are back again.   Embarassed  Now I realize that it was more than likely a remission that I was fortunate enough to experience the respite for a while.

I just went on a trip to Florida for a week, and somehow remained headache free for the entire vacation.  Yesterday I could start feeling the same old pressure building behind my right eye, and even now am having a mild attack (compared to the ones that leave me useless to do anything).

My wife has a neurological condition known as Spasmodic Torticollis or Cervical Dystonia, so fortunately we have a qualified neurologist that I can already see.  I had mentioned that I used to get cluster headaches before but he basically told me the same thing that other doctors had.  We don't really know what causes them, nor how to cure them.  Bummer, dude.

I decided to do some internet research when I came across this site.  Boy can I relate to what I've read on here so far!  I look forward to sharing thoughts, ideas and information with all of you in the future.  Take care.

Regards,
Ernie
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Greetings from Iowa
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 11:27am »

Welcome to the board Ernie.
 Glad to hear you already have a neurologist but sorry you and your wife both need him.
From your little picture I see you're a home-brew fan? KQQL  beer  But...........for clusterheads.......maybe not the best choice of hobbies.

Bummer, dude.

Lots to learn here. Get busy. There will be a test in one hour.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 2:20pm »

Your Papazian quote caught my attention.  I am also a homebrewing clusterhead.  The clusters give me the patience to age some of my beers.  I hope beer isn't a trigger for you.

-Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
BeermanIA
New Board Newbie
USA 

eeinman  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 6:45pm »

Thanks for the welcome, guys.  I don't believe that beer is my trigger but just be to safe maybe I should stop brewing with cluster hops???

Seriously, I just went to the Dr today (at my wife's insistance) and got my prescription to get O2 once again.  Silly me, I gave away my tank and all a few years ago when I thought that I was "cured".  After talking at some length, the doc and I want to explore the possibility of alergies triggering my episodes.  She gave me a bunch of Singulair to clear up my congestion, and we'll see where it goes from there.

Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy my adult beverages.  Hell, I can handle a half hour of excruciating paing for a quality microbrew, right? Wink
IP Logged
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 4:01am »

Hi there....
I grew up in Davenport -- I love IOWA.

Anyhow - Welcome aboard... stick around a while and read read read.

And - plan on going to davenport the first weekend in January.   Smiley

tina
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 8:45am »

Welcome to ch.com Ernie but sorry you had to find us.
IF I were in a cycle, just looking at that pic you have of a frosty cold one would be enough to trigger a h/a. Beer is a big no no for me.
good luck,

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
BeermanIA
New Board Newbie
USA 

eeinman  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 8:57am »

Tina - Davenport is January sounds intriguing.  Should I bring beachwear?   laugh

Jim - Thanks 4 the welcome.  While I'm not sure what my trigger(s) may be, I don't really think that alcohol is it.  That would be devastating.  The next thing you'll tell me is that sex is a trigger!

Ernie
IP Logged
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 9:18am »

Most people here who are episodic cannot TOUCH alcohol when they are in cycle.    They'll get a HA immediately.  

Davenport in January - damn skippy!!!!

IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 9:23am »

on Apr 28th, 2004, 8:57am, BeermanIA wrote:
Tina - Davenport is January sounds intriguing.  Should I bring beachwear?   laugh

Davenport in Jan was a BLAST!  
be there next year if you can. There's a pool in the atrium so yeah beachwear is appropriate.  
Also, I doubt that you would hurt anyone's feelings if you brought a sample of that homebrew   Wink

Quote:
Jim - Thanks 4 the welcome.  While I'm not sure what my trigger(s) may be, I don't really think that alcohol is it.  That would be devastating.  The next thing you'll tell me is that sex is a trigger!

Ernie

Just tell your significant other that you've heard sex is a good preventitive for ch's  Grin

Jim
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2004, 9:23am by JDH » IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 6:58pm »

Quote:
Hell, I can handle a half hour of excruciating paing for a quality microbrew, right?

Now that is one great attitude for attacking these things! Welcome to clusterville, ernie. Like you, I also tried a little research at the start of my last cycle. Man am I ever glad I found this place. I'm sure you will feel the same way. Read up on everything around here. Outstanding information source.

There's a million theories on what triggers episodes. I personally believe nothing triggers them, they are just going to happen, they are meant to happen. And only the beast itself knows when. To be even more specific, being born with a malformed hypothalamus is probably the only real trigger.

I'm just down I-74 in Peoria. Hafta try one of your brewski's one of these days!

Take care and keep us posted on how your doing.

Quote:
Just tell your significant other that you've heard sex is a good preventitive for ch's  

or may I suggest Oral sex? I firmly believe it brings relief.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2004, 7:00pm by FZfan » IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
floridian

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 9:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Welcome, Beerman.

Quote:
I just went on a trip to Florida for a week, and somehow remained headache free for the entire vacation.  Yesterday I could start feeling the same old pressure building behind my right eye, and even now am having a mild attack (compared to the ones that leave me useless to do anything).

I wish I could claim that its Florida that kept the beast away, but I think its probably the experience of going on vacation.  When I go on a good vacation, I can stay up late, get up early, drink as much as I want and not pay for it.  

Stress (even good stress of a vacation) sometimes keeps the cluster beast away - temporarily.  Lots of people here have commented that reducing stress alot can start a cycle.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss