Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 7:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New here.... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New here....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New here....  (Read 245 times)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

New here....
« on: Jun 11th, 2004, 5:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good morning (I guess) Wink Not sure if this is a wink or twitching eye . It's what I look like. haha............
Like an alarm clock I'm up @ 4 am with that pain that brings me to my knees. Despite being about 10 years I feel like this is still new. Guess you get used to it. I just can't take it anymore!! I was researching headaches and came across this site and took the "quiz" and though I haven't gone to the doctor I am looking for a new one.
See, I was told "it" was allergy related seasonal migraine then somethng else then allergies and nothing ever helped. I never heard of CH. But I swear if this isn't me then I don't know what is.  
the thing is all the little tricks I used to use don't really work anymore and I'm just miserable.
What is the first thing to do? Do I go to a neurologist? Been to immunologists/allergists and ENT's, etc.... But I guess if this is CH which by all the info. out there it appears to be then I would have to go to a neuro... Is this right?  
Sorry for babbling on. Just exhausted and miserable which really sucks because that is only me for 2 periods a year (spring and fall: I guess that is why they the Dr's guessed allergy)
Thank you!! I gotta go pace
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

hRe: New here....
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11th, 2004, 5:50am »

Hi and welcome to the site! Sorry however you are suffering so much at the moment. Your first step is to get a diagnosis from a professional so you can gain access to the meds that you need. There are things that can help. Lots of great info on this site -links on the left although I guess you know that.
  At least people here understand the pain that you are experiencing.

All the best Filbert
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2004, 5:50am by Filbert » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

New here....
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11th, 2004, 8:39am »

DO NOT assume that the doc you call knows about headache! Even many neurologists have little experience or interest--and they must be avoided. Ask the front office very directly: does the doc treat complex headache problems? Does he have many patients with these problems? Ask your primary care doc for recommendations.

Second, educate yourself by reading the material on the left (buttons) and on OUCH. But the most organized way of learning about your problem is to get either the second or third title, below. Information is the best antidote we have to anxiety and confusion.

HANDBOOK OF HEADACHE MANAGEMENT, 2nd ed., Au. Joel Saper, MD, 1999, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. A highly condensed volume for doctors but good for "advanced" clusterheads who have a grasp of medical terminology and medications. Covers all types of headache with the section on cluster being brief. Sections on general considerations in treatment and on medications are important.

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. This volume is better organized and easier to read for nonprofessionals compared to Saper's book. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss