Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 10:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is this a Cluster that i have? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is this a Cluster that i have?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is this a Cluster that i have?  (Read 293 times)
Boaty
New Board Newbie
Australia 

Is this a Cluster that i have?
« on: Jun 17th, 2004, 8:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,

I have recently been getting headaches, again, and i visited the local GP and he actually said that i may have a Sinus Infection. So, he prescribed anti-biotics for me and off course they did nothing and the headaches continued. I went back to the medical centre and saw a different Doc and his diagnosis was that i had Cluster Headaches. So i have been looking for some answers that can give me some relief on the net and i have ended up here.  
My history - I have been getting thse headaches for a few years, not exactly sure how many, but i seem to get it every 2 years for about 2/1/2 months on average. All the other Doc's i have been too always just tell me that it is a headache and to just take some headache tablets. Anyway, it is always on the right side of my head, on the temple and behind my eye. Its a sharp pain and takes about 15 minutes to reach its peak and subsides after i take some headache tablets in about 1 hour or maybe 2. The pain is that bad that i just want to poke out my own eye, generally i just like to deal with it on my own and ride it out. Sometimes when it gets really bad i see white spots on my right side. When it first starts its like a dull pain, as it increases i get hot flushes that comes in a like a wave all over me. The traditional, holding of the head and all that doesnt seem to help at all. Drinking lots of water doesnt seem to help either, i generally have it three times in a day, one in the morning, afternoon and night and it seems to be always about the same time. It's 10.20am at the moment, i've just had it subside and it seems like nothing has ever happened because i feel so normal now. Does this sound like Cluster Headaches? =/
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

Re: Is this a Cluster that i have?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 8:46pm »

Yes....

Read this...
http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~headache/cluster.html
Take this to our doc...
http://www.future-drugs.com/admin/articlefile/ERN020304.pdf

DEMAND oxygen at at least 12-15 liters per minute. That is the best and the only non drug abortive.
Otherwise you want imitrex injections and/or imitrex or zomig nasal spray.

A taper of prednisone can sometimes end a cycle and is commonly used as an immediate preventative while a long term med such as verapamil has time to start working.

Stick around and read up. Take this and any other printouts to your doc, and take control of your treatment. Being an informed patient is the most important and effctive thing you can do to get relief.

It's probably a good idea to fing a neurologist that specializes in headaches to get proper tratment as easily and as fast as you can. Notice I said a neuro that specializes in headaches, and preferrably has experience with clusters. Just because they are a neuro doesn't mean they know shit about effectively treating ch.
Good luck and welcome.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2004, 9:42pm by Superpain » IP Logged

Chris
Boaty
New Board Newbie
Australia 

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 8:54pm »

Well, its kind of a good and a bad thing to find out that you have CH. Bad cos it hurts so much that your as useful as a cabbage and good cos at least you know what you have.  

Thanks Superpain, time to do some study and see what i can do about it all i guess.  

*Add to favourites*

"Smiling right now, cos i know its not that time of day..."
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 10:39pm »

Agree with SP... very well could be CH.  Check out some of the links.

Sucks that you have them mate, but you are in the right place!  Read up... many treatments available.  I am smack in the middle of an episode myself, and have been painfree on very light meds.

Hope you find a treatment that work soon!
Rock!
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18th, 2004, 9:25am »

Sounds like it to me too.  What is the "typical" duration of an attack if you do not take any medication?  Also, have you ever been attacked while sleeping and it woke you?

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Boaty
New Board Newbie
Australia 

« Reply #5 on: Jul 4th, 2004, 10:15pm »

Nope, don't tend to get them when i am asleep. Only in the day, which i guess is a good thing. Thankfully it will be over very soon, i didnt get them yesterday and i am feeling pretty good today. Soooooo hopefully i wont get them for another 2 years! Yay!  

All smiles here now, all smiles...

Life is a series of moments, i intend to enjoy each one!
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 12:41am »

Welcome to the board

Sorry your head hurts!!!  

Plenty of stuff to read here.  Lots of home remedies that may help also.

My hits only come at night....like clockwork...bout an hour and half after I go to sleep.  I started taking Melatonin and it's worked for me.  

Print out what you need and take to your Doc if necessary.  Sometimes we have to educate the doc.  

Hope your cycle is over.   Let us know how you're doing.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Storm
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 7th, 2004, 6:31pm »

When I am having attacks I ALWAYS get them one & a quarter hours after going to sleep, I don't get too many when awake unless I am having a real bad episode. Now I make you all laugh, I was in contact with a guy in the States (I am in the UK) & he insisted that growing his hair long stopped his h/a's, this was about 4 years ago & I have lost his e.mail addy...........a year last April things were pretty bad, so I thought "what the hell, nothing else works, I will give the hair thing a try" I have not had my hair cut since, lasy Christmas my h/a's stopped, they came back very mild 1st March, for 6 weeks, I have not had a h/a since, my hair is on my shoulders now & it's staying there.....it's a bitch to wash, how the ladies manage I don't know, still better than h/a's.
All the best, Keith.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 7th, 2004, 6:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 7th, 2004, 6:31pm, Storm wrote:
When I am having attacks I ALWAYS get them one & a quarter hours after going to sleep,

You should really try melatonin, then.  It has done wonders for my night time hits.
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #9 on: Jul 7th, 2004, 7:50pm »

yep. I agree... Wink
IP Logged

Chris
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss