Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 4:47pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Member »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Member  (Read 196 times)
bbrown2b
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« on: Jun 19th, 2004, 5:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

First time writer, short time reader, 10 yr. episodic suffer.

Here's my short story along with a few questions. Had my first episode at the age of 30. The doctor diagnosed me with a sinus infection (typical), according to this website. Since then I have suffered numberous bouts including this last one. Which started approx. 2 1/2 months ago. Did not get any good medication until reading all the medical information on this site. Particularly like the posting written on the devil. Anyways, now to my questions. I have noticed in the readings in this website and ouch that smoking should stop but that the cessation of smoking does not cease the headaches.  Any inputs in this? Next, have been prescribed prednizone by my doctor which seemed to be working didn't have  a headache in 81 hours (this was nice!). Then my doctor sent me to a neuro doctor who doesn't believe in prednisone and put me on Lithium and Verapamil together (have started having one nightly headache since this change in medicines). Any input on this?  

Would like to say thanks to all on this website for the insight and information. Here's to PFD for all of us!
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 5:57pm »

on Jun 19th, 2004, 5:42pm, bbrown2b wrote:
Hello,

First time writer, short time reader, 10 yr. episodic suffer.Welcome to the board

Here's my short story along with a few questions. Had my first episode at the age of 30. The doctor diagnosed me with a sinus infection (typical), Very typical. Then you go to the eye doctor, then the dentist, then the ear-nose-throat doc, then...... according to this website. Since then I have suffered numberous bouts including this last one. Which started approx. 2 1/2 months ago. Did not get any good medication until reading all the medical information on this site. Particularly like the posting written on the devil. Anyways, now to my questions. I have noticed in the readings in this website and ouch that smoking should stop but that the cessation of smoking does not cease the headaches.  Lots of clusterheads smoke. Maybe more than in the general population. The fact is though smoking neither helps nor hurt clusters. My opinion is clusterheads seem to have addictive personalities. Not necessarily addicted to 'bad' habits but many habits in general. Any inputs in this? Next, have been prescribed prednizone by my doctor which seemed to be working didn't have  a headache in 81 hours (this was nice!). Prednizone is usually prescribed to break a cycle and not long term use. Then my doctor sent me to a neuro doctor who doesn't believe in prednisone and put me on Lithium and Verapamil together (have started having one nightly headache since this change in medicines). Any input on this? Verapimil takes time, a week or so, to build up in your system to do good. It it may have to be ramped up over a period of time to get to a level to do it's best work.

Would like to say thanks to all on this website for the insight and information. Here's to PFD for all of us!  

Keep us informed on how you're doing.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 6:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
smoking should stop but that the cessation of smoking does not cease the headaches.  Any inputs in this? Next, have been prescribed prednizone by my doctor which seemed to be working didn't have  a headache in 81 hours (this was nice!). Then my doctor sent me to a neuro doctor who doesn't believe in prednisone and put me on Lithium and Verapamil together (have started having one nightly headache since this change in medicines). Any input on this?  

First of all welcome to this board.

The smoking thing has been raked over many times, most seem to think it makes no difference one way or the other but some think they get modest relief from smoking. YMMV

An abrupt halt to prednisone and then switching over to Verapamil and Lithium is not normal. Typically the Prednisone is slowly tapered over a week or two waiting for the preventatives to kick in. The Verap / Lith combo works well for many of us. Good luck!

Lee  
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 6:15pm »

Any neuro that "doesn't believe" in prednisone to treat clusters, and especially if he took you off of it without finishing the taper should be immediately dismissed.

Verapamil IS the first choice preventative, but the lithium combo is normally reserved for chronics, or when verap by itself is ineffective.
IP Logged

Chris
bbrown2b
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 6:23pm »

Thank you for the feedback. Does lithium and verap need to be tapered also.
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 6:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jun 19th, 2004, 6:23pm, bbrown2b wrote:

Me thinks it is a good idea to taper off of any drug. JMHO

Lee
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 4:41pm »

on Jun 19th, 2004, 6:23pm, bbrown2b wrote:

Yes. But I wouldn't try that till you're painfree for a while, if it gets you there.
IP Logged

Chris
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss