Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 3:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Any Military Members? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Any Military Members?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any Military Members?  (Read 722 times)
Lalady
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Any Military Members?
« on: Dec 27th, 2004, 3:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a very concerned spouse of an active duty military man who has been getting CH's for the last 13 years on an annual basis. The CHs are getting worse and this time they are lasting longer. In the past they would last 2-4 weeks and now they are lasting over a month. Each CH lasts about 8 hours and usually happen at night about 2 hours after going to sleep. Any other gulf war veterans out there experiencing the same? Since finding this resource you are all in my prayers because these Chs are very painful. Any advice ???
IP Logged
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

Re: Any Military Members?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 5:42pm »

I'm pretty sure there are some military guys around here somewhere and no doubt one of them will respond to your post.

Has your hubby been diagnosed with CH by a neuro? The part about getting hit when he's asleep sounds like it, but the 8 hour duration doesn't.  Most seem to last 45 minutes to about 90 minutes and some have said 3 hours, but 8 hours seems awfully long for it to be CH.

Have you looked into all the information sections to the left of the MB?  Have him take the cluster quiz.  It may help when he next seeks medical attention.  There is a ton of information there and sometimes it's a good idea to print it out and take it with him to the doctor.

Has he tried O2?  What is he taking for the pain.  Most of the pain meds cause rebounds HA's.

Check out the supporter area of the MB as well.  You'll find many others like yourself and they will all help you in any way they can.

Hope some of this helps.

Carol

IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 5:54pm »

Yes I am ex-military.  Started getting mine while on active duty, but if you think the military is responsible, I would have to disagree with you.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Lalady
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 5:55pm »

Yes he has been diagnosed and is currently taking Fioricet and Zomig and initially took Predazone. I appreciate your reply. It is so hard to see him suffer and I just wish there was sonething I could do.
IP Logged
Lalady
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Any Military Members? Guesst
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 6:11pm »

on Dec 27th, 2004, 5:54pm, guesst wrote:
Yes I am ex-military.  Started getting mine while on active duty, but if you think the military is responsible, I would have to disagree with you.

I do not know who or what is responsible all I know that he is in pain and we are limited by military health benefits. I hope that your CHs are few and far between and that you have many pain free days  
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

Re: Any Military Members? Guesst
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 6:14pm »

on Dec 27th, 2004, 6:11pm, Lalady wrote:

I do not know who or what is responsible all I know that he is in pain and we are limited by military health benefits. I hope that your CHs are few and far between and that you have many pain free days  

Ok, he needs to get Oxygen presribed at 15 lpm with a non-rebreather mask.  And some imitrex, zomig or amerge only one of those three, you CAN NOT mix them.  Print out some of the imformation found here to help educate your doctor, if you have any problems or questions, I will not hesitate to help.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 8:05pm »

Go to the VA hospital.  Get a referral to a neurologist.  Dont expect alot  there.  You may have to educate the neuro.    The VA will give verapamil fairly easy, triptians are very limited, and oxygen is nearly impossible to get a perscription for.    After my insurance ran out, I have had to rely on the VA for my medical.  Not the best in the world, but better than nothing.  Expect long lines, unknowledgeable doctors, and overcrowded parking lots.   They do what they can, but the gov. has them fairly limited------especially for a mere "headache."   You could get lucky and find a VA hospital that is linked to other hospitals, and those are lots better than the one I visit.    Good Luck.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
medic1852
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

This will only hurt for a little while!

medic1852  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 5:15pm »

Hello and welcome. I spent 8 Years in the Marine Corps, I am a gulf war vetran, I doubt it is linked as I have had my CH since I was 16. Sorry
IP Logged

Shoot Low Sherrif He's Riding a Sheltland Pony!

Rhemah
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 10:17pm »

USArmy, CHs started after Desert Storm. The VA provides Zolmitriptan but they do nothing for the CHs. The VA can not get me Imitrex I have to buy it at Raleys. Also when they started 6 to 8 per day at 10 on the scale, the local VA rep just told me there was nothing he or the VA would do for me. After 9 months I was a disaster, living in my bed room hiding from my wife and kids. I lost my job and my wife supported us for a year. Life is better now as I had a few years with only 5 or 6 per month. My triggers are many but the worst is laser printers and copy mechines. These set off BIG #10s ,30mins after exposure. Imitrex is the cure and I chew them. Vicoden for the rebounds. One or two Vicodens before bed and the monster is just a small pain when I wake up insted of a full head banger.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 8:39am »

Welcome to our little corner of the web.  Sorry your husband is suffering regardless of the reason.

As you have no doubt discovered, the links to the left have tons of good info in them.   There is more info on the OUCH website.   Read everything you can, have him take the cluster quiz and print stuff out that seems applicable.  Unfortunately, because of the rarity of the disorder, you may end up teaching whatever doctor about CH.

Here is a link to read and print and take to his doctor.  It describes preventative, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

Here is a link to some non-prescription alternatives different people have used to help with the pain:  

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm

I would suggest talking with his doctor and/or pharmacist before taking any of the nutritional supplements.  At the very least check for interactions at a website such as:  

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Home/AllAboutDrugs

Nutritional supplements can interact with prescription meds just the same as some prescription meds interact with each other.  Better safe than sorry where your health is concerned.  

Oxygen is an excellent abortive.  Works for most people when used properly.  Defintely try this.  As well as it works, I have a hard time understanding why more doctors do not prescribe it.  It must be used correctly to work, though.  Get it prescribed for up to 15 lpm through a non-rebreathing mask for no more than 20 minutes.  If the doc won't prescribe it, he might try welder's O2.  It's the same pure oxygen used by medical suppliers.  Many people here use it and would be more than happy to help you set it up.  Here are some links that tells about using O2:

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

http://www.headaches.org/consumer/topicsheets/oxygen.html

http://www.chhelp.org/mhni.html  

Here is a link to a letter that may help explain things to friends, family and co-workers.

http://www.clusterheadaches.org.uk/home/index.cfm?address=../clusters/no te_colleagues.cfm&added=04/01/04&code=CB

Again, welcome to CH.com.  There's no better place in the world for info and support of cluster headaches.  

Mike

IP Logged
Phil L
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 6:29pm »

Sorry to here of your husbands Ch. I receive all my medical treatment at the VAMC in San Diego. This facility is perhaps the best in the VA system as it is a teaching hospital for UCSD Medical School. If a veteran is rated 50% or greater disabled, he/she is entitled to full medical benefits extending beyond any service connected conditions, without co-pay. My experience has been that yes, some treatments are hard to get prescribed, but that said, with enough umph and a Doctor who is willing to push hard for you, most anything is attainable, so don't give up on the system.

Phil L
IP Logged

When I get up in the morning and have to look down to see the grass
I know it's going to be a great day.
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 7:20am »

US Army, 1987-1993. CH started in 1998. I don't believe there's any connection. I hope your husband finds the help he needs. Gator and others have offered some good advice. Good luck to you both.

-Frank
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss