Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 9:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I'm New »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I'm New
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I'm New  (Read 378 times)
fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

You aren't paranoid if everyone is after you....

I'm New
« on: Jun 27th, 2005, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone! Thanks for having a great mesage board. Sorry it has to exist yet happy that I found it. My boyfriend  has had custers for about 20+ years. He is 39 now and we have been living together for about a year and a  half. I always knew that he had "headaches" and he has had them pretty steadily since he has lived here but not horribly until the past few weeks. They have been steadily getting worse. He has been diagnosed with clusters and has tried many of the reccomended drugs and Oxygen as well without sucess. He hasn't tried Imitrex and thats the first thing I will be asking the Neuro for when we have his first appointment next month.  He started taking kudzu on Saturday as well, which seems to have actually helped some.  He pretty much has things under control as far as dealing with them goes but of course I am a wreck because I feel so bad for him.  I will probably be writing on here much more than he is because its what I do when he has a headache and he needs to lay down.  We are in up state NY and will be going to a Neuro in Rochester or Syracuse. We actually have 2 appointments!! This is after trying to get one for the past month and having no luck.
Thanks a lot!  
C
IP Logged
cazman
New Board Veteran
USA 

if ya dont like it take a walk

kingcazman
Email

Re: I'm New
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 1:43pm »

o2 did not help is he useing the right mask it must be a nonrebreather mask any other mask wont work , theres been alot of success with alternatives, lsa , kudzu , read all the threads and posts theres a wealth of info here to look at .

good luck and welcome ps there also a supporters corner for you here.
IP Logged
fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 2:33pm »

I once again asked him about having the right mask again just last night. He said he did have the non breather one.  We have talked about the possibility of  "other" types of medicines and we will definately pursue that if it gets much worse. He has been lucky this cycle, its been bearable so far. Was MUCH worse in the past. He does sometime get some relief by smoking.. has anyone else noticed this? He was never a smoker till ch got so bad.  At the begining of the cycle the smoking seems to abort the HA. Now.. in NO WAY am I endorsing this I presonally find the possibility of cancer horrifying. Also, large amounts of caffiene help him sometimes. I noticed on the med survey about people quitting smoking but not one about people starting.  Once again.. it works for him (sometimes) and I am just curious about if anyone else has noticed any correlation.
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 2:45pm »

What flow rate (lpm) was he using with the O2?
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 2:56pm »

laugh
Good lord.. I just called him at work.. 15 l per hour? BUT.. a dr originally told him to try it and then him and some of his "rescue" friends tried different amounts.  He was in Quwait at the time, USAF. Maybe I should urge him to try again doesn't sound too solid now that I get the details. He also thinks its inconvient.. I promptly pointed out who cares, it is better than total shut down and he works in a darn hospital!
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 3:22pm »

15 liters per minute, is what I use, and it works about 80% of the time.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 3:33pm »

Are you able to bring it with you where ever you go?
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 3:35pm »

on Jun 27th, 2005, 3:33pm, fat___pam wrote:
Are you able to bring it with you where ever you go?

Yes, I carry an M-60 tank which is a lot bigger than the portable E-tanks, but then again, I'm much bigger than the average O2 user. lol.  As far as being inconvenient, which is more inconvenient, thrashing about for an hour in agony or sucking on O2 for 10-15 minutes?  Wink
IP Logged

fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 3:48pm »

I agree.. its better to take the o2.. my boyfriend is stubborn and a little bit of a pain in my butt..  like I said he works in a hospital which has 02 lines coming out of the walls... Have you tried verpamil? Im going to look it up now, he hasn't been on that yet. He basically gave up looking for anything for about the past 5 years or so. They were so bad and nothing worked. Then he found me, and  I can't stand seeing him go through it so I am willing to have him try anything. He has been on sansert, cafergot, prednisone, merden, lithocaine, and ergostat. Forgive my spelling on those. Even some relpax for migraines, our dr didn't quite get it, but hey, I have migraines and the relpax didn't work for me either.
IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:04pm »

Quote:
I'm much bigger than the average O2 user.

You are just average size to me...... Grin

Quote:
Have you tried verpamil?

Most here have tried the verap. It works for me and many more. Others haven't had much success with it.
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:04pm »

The only thing you listed that did work for me, was the sansert.  The verapamil/prednisone taper was a complete waste of time for me.  This is what I do nowadays

Quote:
My CH treatment

20min HOT steamy shower 1 hour before bed
3-6 mg of melatonin and 2-6 mg of time-release melatonin afterwards
Go to bed
Wake up in the morning; take 250 mg of magnesium and 20 mg of fluoxetine (prozac)
Abort with zomig and O2 at 15 LPM as needed.  

Also had some good results from alternative methods, but nothing too concrete to rave about yet.
IP Logged

fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:05pm »

I was SOOO not going to ask how big he was...
IP Logged
fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:07pm »

Oh, I think he did try some melatonin as well.. the prednisone made him gain weight and he already told me no more steriods.. is verapamil technically a steriod?
IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:09pm »

on Jun 27th, 2005, 4:07pm, fat___pam wrote:
Oh, I think he did try some melatonin as well.. the prednisone made him gain weight and he already told me no more steriods.. is verapamil technically a steriod?

Nope.....Verap is a blood pressure med.
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:10pm »

on Jun 27th, 2005, 4:05pm, fat___pam wrote:
I was SOOO not going to ask how big he was...

HUGE!  LMAO!
IP Logged

fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:13pm »

You look tall but by no means HUGE....
I can't wait till someday I can learn how to pull out and highlight text like that.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:54pm »

lithocaine?  do you mean lithium?  or lidocaine?  both are used for cluster.  

As to your smoking question, we've done polls here.  It's about half and half, smokers to non-smokers.  Our conclusion?  It really doesn't make a difference to stop, start or burst into flames when it comes to curing cluster.  To me, the smell of cigarette smoke means that my hubby is finally finishing an attack.  he can't smoke during an attack, mind you - but I always know when I smell smoke, he's done (wait, that doesn't sound right, does it?  LOL).  You know what I mean!
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:55pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 4:55pm »

on Jun 27th, 2005, 4:13pm, fat___pam wrote:
I can't wait till someday I can learn how to pull out and highlight text like that.

Try clicking here  
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=techprobs;ac tion=display;num=1073796976

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

39601840 39601840   kiwiinoz57  
Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 5:43pm »

Hi Pam,  
I reckon Verapamil is worth a try. They start it on low doses so it takes a while to get up to the amount that might help. I started on 40mg and finally got 2 months relief after reaching 480mg but am now on 940mgs. It's taking a while for the extra strength to kick in but when I'm bad I have a half dose of Imigran(Imitrex).
Good luck to your mate,
Cheers,
Jacqs(Kiwi)
IP Logged

We are here for a good time not a long time. Time then to think outside the square and to give and get the best possibles of love and life.
fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 8:21pm »

lithocaine?  do you mean lithium?  or lidocaine?  both are used for cluster.  

Lidocaine... and I might have figured out the quote thing...
IP Logged
fat___pam
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 8:25pm »

on Jun 27th, 2005, 8:21pm, fat___pam wrote:

Lidocaine... and I might have figured out the quote thing...

Ok, im trying the quotes again.. and thank you all for your good advice, and it was 15 litre per min....
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 9:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jun 27th, 2005, 3:35pm, thomas wrote:
I'm much bigger than average. Wink

LMAO thats not what I heard  Grin

IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #22 on: Jun 28th, 2005, 12:10pm »

on Jun 27th, 2005, 9:12pm, Sean_C wrote:

LMAO thats not what I heard  Grin

Oh, what am I going to do with you, bro?  laugh
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #23 on: Jun 28th, 2005, 2:04pm »

Well, apparently not much, T.   LMAO

Welcome to the madhouse, Pam.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss