Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 8:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « An angel in the form of a website. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   An angel in the form of a website.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: An angel in the form of a website.  (Read 299 times)
iuwonny
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

An angel in the form of a website.
« on: Jul 7th, 2005, 3:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Finally. Some place that I think I fit in.  Smiley  A big hello to all from St. Louis, Missouri.

Well, to start, I am 24 and had my first CH in my modern media class in high school (sophmore year, I think). I thought I was having a stroke or something. I was sent to the nurse's office where they called my parents. About 30 minutes had passed since it started and the nurse got off the phone and it was starting to dissipate. About 3 minutes later, it was gone. Only minor lingering effects.
I was given 8 hours saturday detention cause the school thougth I was faking it to get outta class.  laugh Thankfully, I can laugh about this event now.
The frequency all through high school remained the same. Maybe once a month, I would get one, maybe 2 CH's. Then after graduation, the gradually increased.

Now I experiece them about 2-3 times a day, with maybe a 3-4 day remission.

There was one thing I wanted to point out that I haven't seen on here yet. It's actually contradcitory to what most people experiece.
When an attack happens, I usualy close myself off from everything, and lie down. Not that it helps the pain any, but it's what I call a "comfort factor." Its makes ME feel better. But if I can fall asleep, I will awake with it aborted. Even if it's only 10 minutes, it will be gone. Sometimes, I haven't even FULLY fallen asleep. Just getting myself to that stage of "not really asleep, but not awake either" can abort it. It always returns  within an hour of awaking again, but  I just thought that odd from what I've read here. Everything else fits like a glove when it comes to CH's except what's above, and that I"ve never been awoken by one. I have gotten them within 15 minutes of being awake, but never woke up with one.

Well, anyway. Wonderfully excited I've found this site and can finally get answers to some of my questions. Like most, I always thought it was just migraines. Never been to a neurologist, but plan on seeing one and getting some more answers.

Take care. Dan
IP Logged
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Re: An angel in the form of a website.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 7th, 2005, 3:55am »

Welcome iuwonny! I take it you took the cluster quiz to the left. I didn't get every answer right either. Keep reading as there is a wealth of info here with some very knowledgeable people.  

When they hit me I also lay down and prefer the room darkened, quiet is important to me. Thats how I withdraw from the world. I can't keep still and kick my legs rapidly at times when the pain intensifies punching the bed with my fist, etc. Restlessness is something that is very common when the pain has reached it's peak. I have never been able to fall asleep with one going full blast, only after it has had its way and is almost gone or lingering.  

You wrote: "I have gotten them within 15 minutes of being awake, but never woke up with one. "  
I don't think it is unheard of what you described. You just are more special than the average sufferer.  A 3 to 4 day break is not unheard of. Does this continue throughout the year or is there a break from them?

I hope you have a good doctor who is treating you effectively. Press for diagnostic testing as headaches have so many causes. You want to make sure it isn't something like a tumor. That was my worst fear.

I drove through St. Louis a few weeks ago on my way to West Virginia. There was a cute girl either waving to me or saying get the heck out of the way.  Kiss It looked like a great city but that highway was a very bumpy ride. I love Missouri and hope to live there some day.
IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jul 7th, 2005, 8:22am »

Welcome,

A visit to a good neurologis is probably warrented so that you can get a clear diagnosis and possibly effective treatment options.

Your symptoms are interesting and with some luck you won't have clusters - something more treatable would be nice!  There are other primary headaches that have symptoms similar to clusters.  

A good headached diary and information from the site are going to help your efforts to get diagnosed and treated.

Good luck finding answers and relief.

Tom    

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 7th, 2005, 2:15pm »

I would suggest getting an appointment with a Neuro as soon as possible.
Start keeping a detailed headache diary. You'll be surprised how much that can help with diagnosis and treatment.
I sure hope it turns out not to be CH, and is curable. If it turns out to be CH. Welcome to the maelstrom, I hope we can help.

TTFN
 smokin
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2005, 2:16pm by Kirk » IP Logged

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 7th, 2005, 8:54pm »

Ditto to all of the above - and welcome.

Please read all you can and see a neurologist who specializes in headaches as soon as possible.

Frankly, what you have doesn't sound at all like clusters.  The fact is, with CHA, sleep is impossible!  I also prefer a quiet, dark room, but that's so I can bang my head against the wall and pull my hair without anyone hearing me cuss, swear, and scream.

There are many headache syndromes out there - some with similar though slightly different characteristics than clusters.  For your sake, I hope you don't have clusters.  It's a lifetime sentence of pain with short periods of reprieve.  Start a diary and make an appointment, please!

Hugs and PF Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
firecracker7481
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jul 8th, 2005, 7:55pm »

I have woken up in the middle of the night on occasion but most of my Ch hits within an hour of waking up.  

What is highly unsual is that I do not "thrash about".  In the early days about 6-8 years ago when I did thrash about the headaches although I would get some relief would last longer and intensify.  I have found that they only way to really abort them is with lots of drugs a cold rag pressed tightly to my head and relaxation.  The second i tense up it gets worse.

I would definitely find a good neurologist.  someone who specializes in HA.  I know it took me 8 years to find someone who took me seriously and now I fell a ray of hope.
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 11:12am »

Welcome, Dan.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss