Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 1:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « HI from Las Vegas »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   HI from Las Vegas
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HI from Las Vegas  (Read 351 times)
sdlauri
New Board Newbie
USA 

HA free this second

Email

HI from Las Vegas
« on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Newly diagnosed (Tuesday of this week) - I do have a question about Imitrex Statdose - everytime I use it the medication burns sooooooooo bad.  Does anyone else have this response?  It does work for my 4am headache but not for the ones during the day.  It is nice just having somewhere to find infomation and to just meet people that understand.
IP Logged

Thank God for Statdose
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: HI from Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:39pm »

Check out the imitrex tip to the left of the screen (hyperlink)

Many of us find that we can get more bang for the buck.

We can abort an attack using less trex, so we split the doses. Less meds, less side effects(burn) just as much relief.This is a fantastic technique when one does not have them in the vials.

Give it a whirl Wink

Here are Some tricks that I used to use and sometimes still do:    

*Wrapping a bandana tightly around my skull (be careful)    
*Filling a sink with scaulding water creating a steam bath and placing my head over it with a towel covering    
it.    
*Going from Steam to Frigid shower.    
*Standing infront of A/C    
*Icepacks or frozen veggies on the back of the neck or eye    
*Tons of STRONG coffee.    

Since  you do have the "typical" wake you up in the middle of the night horrors then.... Melatonin might be very helpful    
Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.    

With the exception of 8-10 times.....I have slept through the night since August.....Still get hit during the day but my overall quality of life is better because I am not as exhausted all the time.    

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not...    

The one thing I will tell you as far as my experience was that I had to stick with it...The first night I took melatonin, I was awoken with a doozy only I was too groggy to find my O2 .....It got a lot better for me....I then slept through the night but would get slammed about 1/2 hour after waking up....kinda like knocking the beast off schedule.....then again I was peaking and this cycle has been all over the place with no real pattern.    
I stayed with melatonin and have had decent sleep overall.    

It may help and it is natural with not too many sideeffects....also ask your doctor b/c if there are any side effects or contraindications...I think they have to do with mild depression.....    

If not some people find Benadryl effective.  

As far as meds go....  

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to the doc    

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!    

If you want an abortive with the least amount of side-effects O2 should not only be requested but demanded from your doctor!!!  

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm  

I have recently been using Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"    

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753    

Plenty to learn here and wishing you luck on your journey!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:43pm »

Hello and sorry about the news. Try some caffiene for the daytime and mild hits to keep the trex use to a minimum.  Study all you can the more you know the better.  
All the best.
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 2:13am »

Guess we'll be meeting soon here in Las Vegas, you are not alone here, there's at least 12 of us that have spoke in person and/or by phone.  We are all here to help each other and all understand what the symptoms are you are unfortunately experiencing and furthermore, we can help you.  Our combined experiences and knowledge outweighs any medical professional here in Las Vegas.  You will learn more than you want to and feel good soo neough that you are not alone in Sin City.  We know the medications, alternative treatments, insurance BS, doctor BS, good local docs who listen and help, etc., etc.  Check your email.
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

39601840 39601840   kiwiinoz57  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 3:43am »

If you don't have success with the tips for the trex then perhaps you can try what I do. I make one 6mg dose do for 2 CH's only.  I tried the third of a dose but it wasn't quite enough. Using half the dose got rid of the "burn" for me. I got a syringe and needle from my GP and for the first dose from a vial I draw up just half and inject that. Then next time you can use the injector gun as normal for the rest. It may sound a bit bazzar but when in horrendous pain it is easy to shove a needle in ya bum.
Hang in there as we are all doing but don't try to do it alone. We are all here for each other and no matter how bad it gets, shout at us Grin cos above all else we understand.
Cheers,
Jacqs
IP Logged

We are here for a good time not a long time. Time then to think outside the square and to give and get the best possibles of love and life.
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 12:27pm »

Lauri,
also check out a thread in the Medication and Treatments section titled "Insulin syringes and Imitrex"....believe the advice on how to do this is well understood and will save you $ and pain....Gregg
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 3:43am »

Hi Lauri,
Please check you private message (at the top, up where it says Hey sdlauri).
BobG in Hendertucky, NV.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
sdlauri
New Board Newbie
USA 

HA free this second

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 5:44pm »

Thanks everyone - I grabbed some syringes and needles from work.  As far as O2 - I am not sure if I will qualify (HMO) but I have tried it at work and it does work quicker than Imitrex.  Doc gave me samples of Relpax (didn't work) and various types of Zomig.  I am not sure what it is but my taste is all messed up - even water tastes funny.  I am going to a big concert tonight soooooooo I am hoping that I will make it through without incidence - (Velvet Revolver Smiley
IP Logged

Thank God for Statdose
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 5:57pm »

I have their Contraband Cd.. have a great time! Smiley

I shall keep my fingers crossed you can get O2 without probs, I'm so glad it works for you but there are ways around it if it becomes a problem so bear that in mind okay, there are people here who can advise you on alternative ways of getting o2, ie using welders o2. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it!
In the meantime I hope you can grab some PF time!
regards
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 6:08pm »

Quote:
I am going to a big concert tonight soooooooo I am hoping that I will make it through without incidence - (Velvet Revolver  

Already a pro at not letting CH stop you from living....

This is good news in itself....
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss