Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I'm a new cluster member »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I'm a new cluster member
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I'm a new cluster member  (Read 323 times)
STEVE-O
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I'm a new cluster member
« on: Aug 24th, 2005, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've had clusters for about 5 years now.In the beginning they would only come once and a while at night lasting 10 maybe 20 minutes at a time.Now they come everyday at 3:00pm,6:10pm,11:35pm and 2:35am.You can almost set your clock by them.They last between 45minutes to a couple of hours.I can control them with meds but that is what concerns me. Ive taken oxygen, Imitrex,zomig,amerge,cafergot,naproxin,nurotin,verapamil,migrin,and now prednisone.The prednisone works but I know it is very bad for me.The doc is going to cut me off of it and I know the pain is going to come right back.Any suggestions.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: I'm a new cluster member
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 7:37pm »

My only suggestion is that you've come to exactly the right place seeking suggestions, and you're welcome.

You may also be interested to know that these horrors have also been called 'alarm-clock headaches'.

Look around the board. There's tons of really good info here along with people who know exactly what you're going through.  Ask all the questions you like but just remember that we're not doctors.  We're sufferers, like you, or supporters of sufferers (they get the hard job).

From here it's just a matter of closing the door, putting on the old seat belt, and enjoying the ride with friends.

Welcome aboard,

Brian.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 7:57pm »

Hey steve, you mentioned you've taken lots of meds and none worked. You're lumping in the abortives with the preventives and transitional ones together, not all of them work the same.

Read a lot. THe O2 and the triptans are the abortives, the ones you take when you get hit. The prednisone is a transitional used to get you through the time when the preventive has ramped up.

Do not mix the triptans, they can hurt you real bad if you do. Some say they can even kill you.

Did you see the O2 link on the left? Are you using a non-rebreather mask? Are you using at least 8-10 liters per minutes? All those things will play a role on how effective it its.

Since you get some at night like most of us, you may want to try melatonin. When in cycle, I take 9 mg every night 30 mins before bedtime an dit helps me get through the night without hits. Even when the hits come, they are not so bad.

PF wishes.
Jose
IP Logged
STEVE-O
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 1:53pm »

Thank you for the welcome.It,s nise to know I,m not alone anymore and better yet you folks know what I,m talking about and don,t think I,m making it up or crazy.

Brian, so they call them alarm-clocks.Makes sense.As for my seatbelt I never take it off. Thanks for the thoughts.

Jose, I don,t have a mask for the O2 but I do set it bettween 8 and 10 liters.I,ll pick one up and see if if helps.What you said about the triptans has me worried.When the clusters come they are the only things that even remotely works to break them.
The only side effect I have really noticed is that if I cut my self I bleed very badly no matter how small the cut. With that tought I have to go.THanks again for the welcome. Talk to you soon.
Steve-o
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 2:00pm »

on Aug 26th, 2005, 1:53pm, STEVE-O wrote:
Thank you for the welcome.It,s nise to know I,m not alone anymore and better yet you folks know what I,m talking about and don,t think I,m making it up or crazy.

Brian, so they call them alarm-clocks.Makes sense.As for my seatbelt I never take it off. Thanks for the thoughts.

Jose, I don,t have a mask for the O2 but I do set it bettween 8 and 10 liters.I,ll pick one up and see if if helps.What you said about the triptans has me worried.When the clusters come they are the only things that even remotely works to break them.
Steve-o

Welcome Steve-O (loved you on Jackass) With all that stuff Knoxville put you through it's no wonder you have cluster headaches  Wink

Regarding the triptan mixing concern, he's talking about actually taking different triptans at the same time-- so if you've just used different ones at different times, don't sweat it.

Whoel lot of believers here in both the traditional meds and alternative options. Check them all out -- there's threads about them and links for others.

Good luck,

Scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 3:22pm »

You did not mention doses used on the preventive meds. Especially with Verapamil, most folks take too little and the effective dosage range is quite broad. I hope our doc tried more than one dose before you gave up on it.

Please use his as a tool to guide your discussion with the doc.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 3:48am »

Med. mixes/doses are a constant maintenance routine when dealing with this nightmare.  I've found a mix of Lithium Carbonate and Verapamil works best for me but nothing so far has eliminated the headaches.

I am constantly concerned with side effects of long term/higher dosage use of some of these meds. but have found higher dosages to be more effective.  You should spend some time going over med. options/dosages in detail with your Doc., do some research and develop a plan/schedule for analyzing the effectiveness of each option/dosage.

There is also information on alternative treatments on the site.  You should review these and determine if any are right for you.

Welcome to the Head Bangers Ball, good luck on your journey.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss