Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 6:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi all - UK sadman has found you! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi all - UK sadman has found you!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi all - UK sadman has found you!  (Read 374 times)
andyiceman
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Hi all - UK sadman has found you!
« on: Sep 8th, 2005, 2:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My name is Andy, I'm 45 and in 2001 I got viral encephalitis, it left me with several problems one of which is chronic cluster headaches.  See neurologist every 6 weeks to try and find a solution - still work full time, have great wife, 2 beautiful little children and I am not giving up against this incredible, totally 24 hour, 7 day week pain.  No remission for 4 years - not one day!.  If I can pass on tips to anyone else on how I cope - please feel free - it is possible (hard at many times) but keep on going.  Just about to start Lithium - sounds pretty scary stuff but anything is worth a try.  Good to find like minded guys and gals - oh by the way apparently I seldom lose my sense of daft humour!
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Hi all - UK sadman has found you!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 11:34pm »

Hey andy, welcome to the board.
Sorry to hear you're hurting. When you say the pain is 'totally 24 hour, 7 day week pain' do you mean the pain is always there? Or, that you have one or more bouts of pain throughout the day?
Hope the Lithium works for you. Many people have a combined dose of verapamil and lithium.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
andyiceman
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 6:17am »

Hi Bob,
Thanks for reply - the pain really is there 24 hours, 7 days a week!  - had all MRI's etc - Doc's think the encephalitis has sparked the residual chronic clusters.  Doesn't fit info on clusters but that's the diagnosis after 4 years of sweating and swearing!
Glad to be part of community
IP Logged
paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 6:57am »

Hi Andy

Sorry to hear your pain.

CH doesn't usually go 24hrs a day. Try the cluster quiz in the column on the left.  

Look around the site and learn as much as you can.

Hope the meds you're getting will help. Have you tried O2? It helps me and many others.

PFDs to you
Paul
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 7:15am »

Hi Andy!  

Welcome!  

I'm sorry to hear of all that's been happening, you have had quite a run of bloody awful luck there. Congratulations on being able to stay working through it and I'm glad you have the support of your family too.. makes all the difference doesn't it? I know my kids certainly give me the strength to keep going never mind my lovely hubby!

Sounds pretty much to me like your neuro has given you a diagnosis of CH because he can't work out what it is! I'm not saying you don't have CH for one minute, but there are conditions which are very similar (such as Paroxysmal Hemicrania for instance) and often get missed because they are so much rarer. The important thing is to find out exactly which condition you have because the meds for one will not be effective for another. The cluster quiz is a huge help and there is a link to a more comprehensive quiz there too which you might find of more help as well.

I don't know if you have discovered OUCH UK at all but they will be a big help to you  

http://www.clusterheadaches.org.uk/home/index.cfm?address=../home/txt_we lcome.cfm&added=Dec2001&code=AD

There is also a helpline which is brilliant. Talking to another clusterhead is amazing, there is nothing like it and no one will ever understand this pain the same. 0161 2721702 It is a answerphone, you leave your name and number and one of the volunteers (who are all sufferers themselves) will call you back.  

Apart from the Lithium what other meds are you using? Do you have any abortives such as O2 or triptans?
Have you tried O2? I swear by it. It works brilliantly for me.  (BTW if you haven't tried triptans we need to have a chat!! The only one licensed in the UK for CH is Imigran INJECTIONS not pills or nasal sprays. They take too long to work

Oh and there is a GP Info page too if its of help!  
http://gpinfo.ouchuk.org/
You might want to show that to your GP or neuro. If your neuro is worth his salt he will have heard of both OUCH UK and its patron Professor Goadsby who is one of the Ultimate Guru's in CH!

Let us know how you are getting on okay? If there is anything else specific to UK  med names or whats available to us (because both do vary) you can either ask here and one of us will find it or you can post on the OUCH UK board, there is a sufferer support board you can use without being a member.. so do!!

Best wishes  

Helen
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2005, 7:16am by LeLimey » IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

andyiceman
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 5:02pm »

Helen,

Great info

I am by trade an anaesthetic technician and am aware of lots of differences in our med names, so we might be able to help more clusterheads get better info.  The Imigran info was news to me.  When the pain is crippling the neuro tried me on Zolmig nasal spray (only resulted in tachycardia!) and Imigran tablets - but as you infer, the effect (if it was going to work) just took so long to maybe work that I was "climbing the walls" and looking for a large leaping place!

The cluster quiz seems to point me maybe to clusters - it does indeed warrant a look at PH - maybe there is a bit of both?
In one way I hope it really is cluster - this group is amazing and it's just great to talk to others with this incalculable misery going on in there heads.

Speak again - many many many thanks

Andy Sad but  Cool
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 7:41am »

There is a good way to determine PH which is to try Indomethacin. Its highly effective for PH  and is often used to rule it in or out!
It would be worth speaking to your doctor/neuro about a trial.  
Have you tried O2? You need to be breathing it through a non rebreather type mask at 12-15 LPM. Its fantastic, its my first abortive of choice every time. In fact 99 times out of 100 I can abort using only o2 within 5-10 minutes. Admittedly I'm using a much better type of mask which undoubtedly makes an enormous difference too.  
Go to the OUCH UK site and look under treatements at O2 and CD Oxygen for an easy way in which to try it. The CD size cylinders are brilliant as you don't need a regulator, they have an integral one and so as such are perfect for trying it (or for taking to work etc as they are quite small) I'm sure you're well aware of all the O2 cylinder sizes actually!!
If you are interested the masks I was refering to were invented by a cluster sufferer and are available here www.clustermasx.com
Hope it helps
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss