Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 1:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « how many of us smoke? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   how many of us smoke?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: how many of us smoke?  (Read 1710 times)
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

how many of us smoke?
« on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 3:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i am not saying it causes CH but i find my lungs seem to be part of the whole syndrome.  Could this have something to do with why we don't like to lay down (fluid in lungs spreads out)?
I know many of you don't smoke, but do you have some lung issues, live with a smoker, work in a plant with emission?
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: how many of us smoke?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 7:14pm »

I would just like to say for the record Steve that I don't deliberately set out to bugger up your ideas but..
Don't smoke and never have,
No one in my house smokes, work in a non smoking environment - completely boring!  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:51pm »

I smoke, but I can tell you when I have a HA, its not my Lungs that make me want to put my head through the Dash of my Truck or the concrete wall in my bathroom, its me wanting to stop the Pain in my Head.

Somking seems to ease the CH pain for me, I would probally hurt myself or someone else if I didn't have a smoke when I am having an attack...  

Sorry, but seen to many people here who have never been exposed to smoke and they had CH all their lives. Myself even as a teenager, I never smoked and was not around my parents or anyone that smoked that much and I have had these all my life...  

Sorry Friend it just don't add up to blame this on Cigg's, even though they are not good for anyone...  

God Bless & PFDAN's
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I smoke. If smoking was causing my clusters, I was determined to quit ... so I did quit, for 8 months ( I think). The clusters continued everyday even though I was smoke free. Now I smoke again  Undecided

UNsolved
IP Logged
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:03am »

ok, i guessed i was going to hear from you that smoking or not smoking, makes no difference.  The only consistent thing about CH is its NOT consistent (though tends to be regular and predictable...just not all the time Wink.  I just wanted to re-visit this idea about lungs and breathing.  A lot of this is CV related, or ENT anyway.  Lots to do with air.  The main approach for abortion now is Oxygen.  I am using exercise (heavy breathing).  And I smoke(d) for the last 22 years (about 1.5 years longer than my CH onset) and the smoking didn't seem to be anything except a trigger DURING a cycle, and nothing more or less outside the cycle.  Other common triggers include strong scents, perfumes, etc.  Smelly stuff, stuff you breathe in.
I really am not purporting to know any answer or even have a decent theory, but I sure as hell want to figure this out and hallelujah god willing end this crazy thing that is messing with us.   Thanks for your replies and support, one of these days we just might get it !  Best wishes and PF days and nights to you all !
IP Logged
niteowl
New Board Newbie
USA 

Welcome to the jungle (in my head)

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:08am »

Hello Steve.  

In answer to your question: Yes I smoke also.  However I don't feel it in my lungs and I like others get some relief from it when I suffering an attack.  I had quit smoking for 6 months, and I also was cursed with the monsters again.  If I knew that quitting would take these creatures away, I would gladly save myself the $3.50 a pack.  Keep me posted on your results. I'll be curious to find out the results.
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:19am »

The general thought around here is that some 48% of smoke, miles above the 'national average'.  Whether this shows cause or result is, of course, anybody's guess.

Best suggestion so far seems to be that CH comes from a broken hypothalamus, the same thing that's involved in addiction to certain substances.

I also hold the government substantially to blame but that's another story.

B.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:39pm »

smokin as I write....

Gave up for 18 months and still got hit!  Not to say that the previous 16 years of smoking didn't have an effect ????    

Kate

IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 9:08am »

Smoked for 12 years and got hit.  Quit for 1yr and 4 months, got hit.  Went back to smoking during cycle because I couldn't suffer through without them (hadn't meds at that time), they actually helped me ride out many attacks until I was able to see my neuro and get some meds.  Unfortunately, smoked for awhile after that.  Am now smoke free again, and am due for a cycle next year.  Am going to NOT smoke when they start up again and try the kudzu instead, and if that doesn't work, there is still other alternatives (including rx meds).

mel
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 3:30pm »

I quit smoking 8 yrs ago. Still have CH.
IP Logged
chewbaccamonkey
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 12:39pm »

I smoke, doesn't seem to help or harm the head. Sometimes its just a welcome distraction riding one out....wife looks at me like I'm a feaking nut job while I'm smoking in pain though. Must seem odd......
IP Logged
giffy76
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me Imitrex or give me death.

« Reply #11 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 12:47pm »

Me me me me me smokin I tried to quit a few times, but don't REEEAALLY want to, it goes way to good with beer Grin
IP Logged
chewbaccamonkey
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 12:52pm »

yup! beer and smokes.......can't be beat! Wink
IP Logged
RandyB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 9:11pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:35pm, unsolved1 wrote:
I smoke. If smoking was causing my clusters, I was determined to quit ... so I did quit, for 8 months ( I think). The clusters continued everyday even though I was smoke free. Now I smoke again  Undecided

UNsolved

Same here!! and get this hold on to your hats I used the patch 21mg a day to quite and it aborted all my clusters and prevented them. Until my next cycle came around and now it doesnt work anymore it was a neat trick at first though no ch and getting healthy what could be better. but i am back to the smoke and started Kudzu today.
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 12:38am »

I smoke

During a period I smoke more

When I first got clusters I didn't smoke

Now when I don't have meds I smoke the green, green grass of home

My lungs were never good

But I still smoke

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 12:38pm »

Quote:
The general thought around here is that some 48% of smoke, miles above the 'national average'.  Whether this shows cause or result is, of course, anybody's guess.

I'm sceptical about the whole smoking/CH link.  Of everything I've read on the board I've found that some of us don't, some of us do, and regardless we all suffer from clusters.  Problem with any studies on it is they have all been taken from a small sample group, I think a little broader research has to be done on it.    

Quote:
Now when I don't have meds I smoke the green, green grass of home

Is that the good stuff Jas?  Wink

Quote:
My lungs were never good  

But I still smoke

Tsk, tsk, tsk, don't make me fly to Africa to give you a good lecture young lady!!!!
IP Logged
kelliev
New Board Newbie
New_Zealand 

« Reply #16 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 4:29pm »

im with you jas
keeps me sane !!! Grin
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 1:06pm »

smokin
IP Logged
ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #18 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 8:52am »

I've quit a million times.

Actually, nicotiene seems to be a little help as an abortive when I wake up in the middle of the night with a screaming head. That and coffee.
IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 8:40pm »

I quit 6 months ago. I still want to smoke, until I think about the Trex I will need in the future.
I still dont smoke.(so far)lol  I still will get CH but maybe I wont blow a gasket ten years from now when I do da dance and have to trex it. On the other hand you only live once,smoke it up. Cheesy
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 22nd, 2005, 11:46am »

I smoke.  It tends to be a comfort for me, if i can, i smoke in the bathroom before huffing the O2.  
Jas, you think that helps you?  The green green grass of home, i mean?
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:22am »

on Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:03am, stevema wrote:
I just wanted to re-visit this idea about lungs and breathing.  A lot of this is CV related, or ENT anyway.  Lots to do with air.  The main approach for abortion now is Oxygen.  I am using exercise (heavy breathing).  .

CV related? CardioVascular? Hmmmm….Cardio, I don’t think so. Vascular, maybe.
ENT? EarNoseThroat? Nope.
Lots to do with air? In a very round about way. Lots of air only because you get more oxygen. It’s the oxygen, not the air, you need to abort the pain with exercise or with a mask.

on Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:19am, AussieBrian wrote:
Best suggestion so far seems to be that CH comes from a broken hypothalamus, the same thing that's involved in addiction to certain substances.

I agree. I’ve been reading this site for a number of months now and have noticed that most of us have addictions and/or very strong habits. Some good like chocolate donuts and some not so good like smoking. Damn stinkin’ smokers!
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2005, 12:17pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #22 on: Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:49am »

regular smoker of both cigarettes and the green Grin
the green helps to stop stressing during heavy stages and helps keep my appetite going
zany
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
gfdfirefighter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 11:25am »

Hi All  

Here is a firefighter saying If I See You smokeing I will Assume You Are on Fire and Put You Out Grin

And yes I do smoke for over 20 years but 2 years ago i quit somkeing Cig's and went to Cigar's they go good with Tequila and beer. You would think with all the crap i inhale at a stucture fire i would quit smokeing but Owell. There have been times when puffin on that log dose help knock down the CH but it is usally twoards the end of a bought not the begining.

You all Have A PF Day

Smiley
IP Logged

Les we never forget 9/11/01 we lost 343 american Hero's(God Has Got One Heck Of A Fire Dept)
jason1212
New Board Newbie
USA 

I'm out of my mind please leave a message

« Reply #24 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 3:41pm »

I'm a smoker, and I can say this, smoking does seem to help during an attack even if it only helps to take my mind off of it.  However I never seem to be able to make it through a whole cig.  Also, it is interesting to mention that O2 in high concentrations helps us greatly, now cigs deplete the O2 in our bodies, I'm not a doc or researcher but there could be something to that, I dunno.

-Jason
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss