Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 2:48pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « light sensitivity »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   light sensitivity
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: light sensitivity  (Read 759 times)
nextup

Email

light sensitivity
« on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,

I have a long history of migraines and now get to add clusters to the mix.  Based on what I now know to be a cluster symptom, I have had episodic though infrequent clusters but they weren't the headbangers that they are now. I have always had light sensitivty with migraines but now am EXTREMELY light sensitive ALL the time and am virtually confined to staying inside with shades pulled.  Any light sets off a cluster.  I haven't seen much documentation on this.  

I'm 3 weeks into this.  On verapamil 120 sr and imitrex inj.  I know I need to go up on the verapamil and I'm going to insist on 02 with this weeks Dr. visit.  But I'm curious if the light sensitivity is more common than it seems.  Also, while the imitrex does cut the pain significantly, I still have quite an uncomfortable level of pain for many, many hours afterwards.  Is this common as well?
IP Logged
alienspacebabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

yup. i am. i do. uh huh. you know it hon.

alienspacelizzie   MzClusterhead
WWW Email

Re: light sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 4:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 2nd, 2005, 3:53pm, nextup wrote:
I have always had light sensitivty with migraines but now am EXTREMELY light sensitive ALL the time and am virtually confined to staying inside with shades pulled.  Any light sets off a cluster.  I haven't seen much documentation on this.  

Hi. Welcome.
I have had some stretches of two to three weeks at the height of my cycles where my CH have been ultra-sensitive to light or sound, even to the point where certain sound pitches (think Irish Tin Whistle) set them off.  
Lizzie
IP Logged

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 7:07pm »

Sorry, can't relate to the light sensitivity.  Never had it, though when a CHA hits, I prefer to be pacing and ranting in a dark room as opposed to a brightly lit one.

The only triggers I have are 9:00 PM and 2:00 PM.

Sorry I'm no help!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:29pm »

I've considered becoming a vampire.  Wink
Sunlight is my biggest trigger. I wear very dark glasses all year. During periods of intense activity it's much worse. Even when I'm out of cycle, sunlight hurts.
I don't suffer from migraines, just CH.
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:39pm »

I'm sensitive to light too, some are some aren't.  The higher the kip the worse it gets Sad

Sean...................
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:44pm »

Well I posted this once before, but its been a little while so...

When I am in cycle, my CH can be set off by many things... I noticed that Bright or Flashing Lights, certain sounds, when I am in full cycle, I swear that I can hear the cats walking across thr floor.. the real kicker is the smell of things... We were in a Walmart store and walked in the Garden section of the store, I just about passed out from the intense CH instantly, my wife had to walk me out of the store, the Chemical smells in there hit me like a Hammer.

When I am out of cycle I have no problem with any of these.. I work in a plastic molding company, the smell there never bothers me, but in cycle I can barely stand it.

Thats the one thing I have noticed about CH is that everyone has a few simple Triggers, then there are some triggers that you can have that no one has. My Nero Dr even confirmed it for me, She said CH is the only afflection that has so many different symptoms.

Even now, this is the first time that I have gotton Shadows from the weather here in Fla., and thats only on certain days... I go days with no Shadows then I have days go by where it feels like I am walking on my head, and the Light hurts my eyes so bad I wear my sun Glasses 24/7 Outdoors and Indoors.

I try to keep a journel and have rarely found things the same from cycle to cycle.

Thanks for letting me add this confusion, sorry about jacking this thread....  

Have a nice day

God Bless and PFDAN's
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 9:58pm »

Light sensitivity bothered my eyes during attacks for years during night hits, even the alarm clock digitals were painful.  
  Somehow it has bothered me less the last few years when hit at night, light is no longer the kryptonite it used to be but I prefer darkness out of habit when woken, as long as the oxygen is positioned ready nearby or trex n/s in place on the nightstand.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:33pm »

I'm very sensitive to light as well. I prefer to be in a dark room when a cluster hits. The Imitrex injections work 100% for me though. No lingering pain afterwards.  

PF Wishes
UNsolved
IP Logged
Rebel_Python
New Board Newbie
USA 

Down with the sickness

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13th, 2005, 3:03pm »

Ditto on the light. I had to designate a room in the house that stays pitch black during the day as a refuge during an attack.
IP Logged

Jason P Adams..........Rebel Python
CHTom

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 11:59pm »

I'm light sensitive, especially to flouresent (sp?) lights, which makes working in an office environment hell.  The computer gets me as well, as do oncoming auto headlights (not to mention the sun). When my neuro used to shine that little light into my cluster eye I literally jumped off the table-he has since stopped doing that.  I often wear sunglasses in the office-people know of my conditon, so I don't get any smart remarks-and I always wear them when going outdoors.  Now that it is dark when I go to work, those oncoming headlights really kill me-if I don't have a CH attack going when I leave the house, I'll start getting one after about 5 minutes of driving and it will ramp up to a 10 very quickly-thank god for Actiq!  I wish I were a vampire!  Good luck and wear those shades! Cool
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 11:13am »

For me its a quick changing of light types.
such as soft flourescent to incandecent,
shadows to bright sun
 intense glaring lights, like the docs eye inspection, lasers, indicator lights on machines and appliances.
bright reflections of light are the worst.
Television sets.

Suprisingly the flat screen comp. monitor has no effect. and actually has a soothing effect for the shadows.

Its all in our heads.

Lights have no effect out of cycle.

« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2005, 11:15am by MJ » IP Logged

MJ
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 10:50pm »

I have been triggered twice by an ambulance light on TV. And once from the reflection of the sun beaming on a metal sign when driving down the road. So yes, it can be a trigger for me.
IP Logged
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17th, 2005, 5:39am »

Mmmm yes,  I had an eye/vision test during my last cycle  Shocked OUCH when he shined that bright light in my eye.

Any kind of light hurts me during a cycle, even if I'm just shadowing.  I'm also very sensitive to smells and NOISE, these can all bring on an attack.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss