Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New member, currently lovin' Topamax »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New member, currently lovin' Topamax
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New member, currently lovin' Topamax  (Read 791 times)
fountainpengwen
New Board Newbie
USA 

Give peas a chance.

Email

New member, currently lovin' Topamax
« on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, everyone!  This is my first visit to this site when not frustrated and/or in horrid pain, so I thought I'd take a moment to register and introduce myself.    Wink

I'm a 26 year old female veterinary student in Ohio.  I'm not trying to make this sound like a personal ad, as I am happily spoken for, it's just that every doctor who learns I have Cluster Headaches seems surprised that I'm not a 30 year old man.  Sheesh.

My headaches started when I was in 7th grade, and they've always been around 10am for the most part.  (Lucky for me, I've only ever had one in the middle of the night.)  At the time, 10am meant math class, and so I thought math was just a horrible horrible thing that made your head feel like someone driving a spike through your eye socket.  Also at the time, I was somehow diagnosed with recurrent corneal errosion (I guess because I said my eye hurt), though they never saw any errosion, and by the time I made it to the doctor during an attack, my pain would be gone, and they'd assume no more errosion.  Don't ask.  So I got to use eye ointments and drops, and we thought they were working, but of course, the cluster was just ending.

Flash forward to my college days at Oberlin College when I've driven myself to the ER with this horrible horrible pain.  The resident at the podunk hospital tells me he thinks I have Cluster Headaches, and I look some info up about them and totally believe him.  Way to go that guy for picking up on what so many other doctors missed!  

So, in college, whenever I'd have an unbearable attack, I'd go to the hospital for a hit of oxygen, or ride it out lying down or pacing in an abandoned classroom for a bit.  

I feel really really blessed right now, because my clusters only last about a month, and only come every other year (in Oct/Nov).  During the last cluster, my doctor had me try Topamax, and it worked like a charm!

I'm seeing a neurologist DO now, who is awesome, and has me on Topamax for the season.  Luckily, I don't seem to have the mind-numbing side effects others have experienced, and it seems to be working at really low doses.  My hands and feet tingle randomly, which is always fun, and I experience  the awesome side effect of all carbonated beverages tasting really awful, so that's super, but it's such a small price to pay!

Sorry for the long post.  I should really get back to studying now, but it's good to be here!   Grin
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: New member, currently lovin' Topamax
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Welcome to the club. Glad you could make it but sorry you *had* to be here  Huh

It's not unusual for us clusterheads to go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for many years before they get it right.

Glad you found something that works. I also went down the Topamax path to terrible tastings. It also gave me kidney stones twice. At least its helping somebody.

Pain Free Wishes

Unsolved
IP Logged
sassy_lady
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sassyladysassy  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 3:30am »

Hello Sweety & welcome,  

You are in the right place, read read read read & print what you need for your Dr.
By the way, I live in Fla now But I'm From Lorain Ohio, I lived on Parsons road in Oberlin about a 1/2 mile from the College, it's a cute little town in the country, was there last year & it still looks the same as when I left!!
did you ever go to the icecream shop on main St. great icecream there, Annt, Uncle & a couple of cousins still live there.
anyhow, nice to meet you & Hope to get to know you better, this is a awesome site!! Lots of info, A great place to vent, ( the guy wine alot!!) lol & alot of support & Love here from some awesome People!!  
& we have a great time here & Lots of fun!!  
so stick around I think you'll like it here!!
By the way sweety whats your name?
Lots of Love & Prayers to You & Yours!!
Jolene
IP Logged
fountainpengwen
New Board Newbie
USA 

Give peas a chance.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 3:23pm »

Sweeeet!  I love the Oberlin area!  And the ice cream place is Gibson's.  Last I heard it's still there, and still tasty.   Cheesy  

My name is Gwen, by the way.  

Nice to meet you all!
IP Logged
sassy_lady
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sassyladysassy  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 5:28pm »

Hello Gwen,

It's still there, went there last year when I went visiting!! go there everytime I go back!! & I stop by the mexican store for beef, rice & beans on Rt. 58 in lorain !! awesome food!!! did you ever get a chance to got to the nite club (Uncle Vick's) in Elyria?? thats a cool place too!! I like upstairs better then down!!
Lorain has gone to pot there, ain't nothing like when I was growning up!! Lake Eire is nasty now, water is BLACK !! use to be a Lovely place!! So Glad Oberlin stayed the same!! Miss my horses!!
nice to have you with us!!
Lots of love Jolene

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2005, 5:28pm by sassy_lady » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss