Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 2:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hey from the Netherlands »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hey from the Netherlands
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hey from the Netherlands  (Read 619 times)
Dutchman
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

CH from the Netherlands

Hey from the Netherlands
« on: Oct 13th, 2005, 9:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,

My name is Peter and i live in the Netherlands. In my 24 years of life i spend 5 of them with CH.  
I'm a periodic CH and get them about 4 times a years for 4-6 weeks. Since it took me 3 years to get the right diagnose (tought it was a tooth problem) i've been searching for sollutions resently. Right now i am on what we Dutch call Imigran, but i believe the medical term is sumatripan. I take these injections when i feel a (bad) attack coming up. Right now i am in a clear spot and loving my life. In a period i use 2 injects a day for about a week, the other 3-5 weeks roughly 1.  

Alcohol sometimes is a trigger, but not frequent and only when i am in my periods. For me the trigger is the weather (i think). In some types of weather i am more sensetive i think.  

My symptoms are all the usual, my effect is on the left side (i am left handed as well)

My hobies include basketbal, going out, role-play (d&d and computergames)

Also i am a member of a dutch discussion group of clusterheadache and want to use this grand site to give them new hopes Smiley

My motto: When the going get's tough be sure you are the tougher.
(sadly this motto almost never get's me up in a bad attack, but i am confident i will be the tougher in the end)

I'm here to beat this condition, and that i will not fail in!  Angry

IP Logged

If pain makes you tough i should be iron by now...
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Hey from the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 11:32am »

Hello Peter, its nice to meet you!
Have you ever tried Oxygen as an abortive? I find it incredible, it works within 5-7 minutes for me.  
There are other triptans than Imigran (called Imitrex in the US) which are longer lasting but not injectible. Zomig or Zolmitriptan is available as a nasal spray and that has a long half life so it prevents further hits and some people in the UK have been trying Frovatriptan as a preventative. IE taking it before a hit is due to prevent it coming completely.. that one gives up to 24 hours of PF time!
As to alcohol, that is a trigger for most people in cycle, there are some people who can drink but mainly it seems to be chronic sufferers who can drink alcohol...although this is by no means solely the case!
As with everything else in CH nothing is set in stone  Undecided  
We do have a couple of other sufferers based in Holland here so stick around and look out for them, it will be good for all of you!
Let us know how you are getting on or if you would like any more info okay?
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 2:07pm »

Hi Peter and welcome to our little corner of the web.  

Like Helen said, alcohol is a common trigger.  A lot of people (like me) say changes in barometric pressure like those that accompany bad weather are a trigger as well.

I'm glad the Imigran works to abort the attacks for you.  Read the Imitrex Tip in the link to the left.  Many people find they can abort with 1/3 to 1/2 a shot which reduces some of the side effects and makes the med last longer.  Do you take any kind of preventative medications?  

What's the address of the discussion group to which you belong?  Some here may be interested in joining and we'll have that information to pass on to others from the Netherlands.

Information is the key to getting the proper treatment.  There is lots of information in the various boards here.   Lots of support from people who know what you are going through.

Again, welcome.

Mike
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 2:43pm »

Hello Peter.  Welkom aan boord.  Baije goed om jou vanaf Holland hier te sien.

Jammer vir die CH.  Alle sterkte daardie kant.

Jas
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Dutchman
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

CH from the Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 1:45am »

thanks for the warm welcome all!

The discussion borad is a simple one set up in  MSN groups.  

here is the link, but it is all in dutch. The message boards is called 'prikbord'.  

Thanks i will check out the info!
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005, 1:46am by Dutchman » IP Logged

If pain makes you tough i should be iron by now...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss