Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is this what I had? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is this what I had?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is this what I had?  (Read 487 times)
zeke2029
New Board Newbie
USA 

Is this what I had?
« on: Nov 7th, 2005, 9:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can a person have a single cluster in their life and never have them return? In fall of 1998, I woke up at ~2:30 in the morning with some of the most excruciating pain I've ever felt. It seemed to match most of the symptoms I've read about on this site to a T. Excruciating pain, starting behind the eye, seemed to run down around the cheekbone and back around the side of the head, limited to one side of the head. The pain was so intense I drove myself to the emergency room in fear I might be having an aneurysm or something horrible. I don't remember exactly how long the pain lasted, but at some point while at the hospital the pain left. My best guess at the duration would be about 45 minutes to an hour. They ran some checks, but found nothing. The headaches returned like clockwork every other night for 2 weeks, other than maybe once there was a three day seperation rather than a two day separation. I remember being amazed at how regular they were, exact same time of night every time. I've been sort of embarresed about going to the emergency room ever since, thinking that since I never had headaches before that I panicked and that I obviously had a low pain threshold.

Using the "Cluster Headache Quiz" as a guide, it seems I had cluster headaches because
- Occurances lasted ~45 minutes to an hour
- It focused behind the eye, and was always on the same side of the head
- I don't remember being sensitive to light
- I wanted to be around someone, but only for some kind of reassuance that I wasn't dying
- There's no way I could have gone to sleep during that
- No nausea
- They woke me up from sleep every time, at the exact sime time of night
- I don't know exactly how quick they came on, but as soon as I woke up I was in a lot of pain. They seemed to end fairly quickly too.
- I'm iffy on the "do you walk, pace, bash your head, thrash, scream" question. I remember possibly walking around some, and putting pressure on that eye and temple with my hand, but no bashing, thrashing, or screaming, although I'll have to admit to some whimpering and moaning.

On the other hand, I don't remember a stuffy nostril or droopy eye, but it has been 7 years so that may not have been engrained in my memory like the pain was. And like I said above, I think I had my eye shut most of the time trying to apply pressure to the back of the socket. Also, the pain has not returned since, and doesn't seem quite as intense as what some of you have described. After all, I was able to drive myself to the emergency room. I'm thinking maybe I had/have a mild case, but if that was the mild form, those of you who have it bad truely have my sympathy and prayers.

I guess after organizing my thoughts enough to write this post, I've just about decided that "cluster headaches" is what I had, but now my questions are going forward. Is it normal for a person to just have one "cluster" during their lifetime? How likely is it that these will return as I age if I haven't had a case for 7 years?
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Is this what I had?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 1:47am »

Zeke it certainly "sounds" right.

I dont think anyone can tell you if they would return.

No doubt clusters can be a memorable experience if this is what you had. And one could certainly wonder a long time if their head was going to blow up at any given moment for all those thoughts and fears that can run through ones mind if you didnt know what it was that caused the pain.
It's pretty hard to diagnose something after 7 years.
You wont (shouldnt) die from clusters so rest easy and hope they never come again.
IP Logged

MJ
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

Re: Is this what I had?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 2:47am »

Hi Zeke

It certainly sounds like it and if your lucky it may not happen again.

I went for 5 years before getting hit again and it was only the last time around that I was diognosed so seven years is not a bad run , Hope it stays that way for you.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss