Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Introduction »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Introduction
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Introduction  (Read 525 times)
LH
New Board Newbie
USA 

Introduction
« on: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

I first found this website several years ago, but never posted until now.  About four and a half years ago, I experienced (what I assume was) my first bout of cluster headaches. The signs/symptoms were exactly what has been described here over and over.  I was never officially diagnosed by my doctor at the time, she said it was a strong likelihood based on my symptoms and what she'd read about cluster headaches, and she referred me to a neurologist to rule out other possibilites. She prescribed me O2, which worked quite well as long as I woke up before the pain was really bad.  My insurance wouldn't cover it since it wasn't for anything respiratory related, but I was so happy to have something that helped that I didn't care. By the time my insurance got around to approving the neuro consult, the headaches were gone completely.  (The entire bout lasted about 6-8 weeks as I recall.)  Due to the deductible expense I never followed up with the neurologist, and I also figured that since I was no longer having the headaches, it wouldn't be of as much value, anyway.  I was so happy the headaches were gone, as they pretty much put my life on hold for the time I had them.  Being a divorced mother of five children (four living at home), I was thrilled to have my normal self back once the headaches were gone.  My kids were delighted as well, as you might imagine.  

Fast forward to 2005...everything had been fine for the last four years, no headaches or signs of them at all.  I spent several years working as an EMT, put myself through paramedic school and took fire technology classes.  I'm in the final stages of the hiring process for my dream job as a firefighter-paramedic.  I've passed the written test, the skills test, several interviews, passed the background investigation, the psychological exam, the medical exam, everything, and waiting for that long-anticipated phone call from the Fire Chief telling me when my start date is.  It's everything I've worked so hard and hoped for, it's the opportunity of a lifetime for me.  I'm ecstatic, my family is happy, my friends are thrilled for me.  

Then, about 10 days ago, the blasted headaches came back, only this time they got worse more quickly.  I've had up to 6-7 of the damn things a day (most of them occuring between 9pm and 10am) , and a few days where they continued on and off throughout the day as well.  Obviously, I can't start this job if I'm having these headaches.  Not only to I have to be on top of my game physically for the extremely strenous training that awaits me, but I have to be able to drop what I'm doing on no notice and give 120% to handle whatever it is we respond to - fire, medical aid, you name it.  My probation would last a year, and I can't be taking days off or doing shift trades or anything like that during that time.

But, I was still hopeful - perhaps the headaches would go away as quickly as they came back (yeah, right!) or maybe they won't call me to start the job for another month or two, by which time hopefully I'll have had time to go through the whole test/diagnosis/meds/ etc. process with my current doctor, and hopefully this bout would be over with.

Then, they called me last Friday with the final, "official" job offer and wanted me to start in two weeks.  I had to tell them what was happening, and I asked if I could have a little more time to hopefully get this resolved or at least diagnosed, and they could then make a final decision on whether they still wanted to hire me.  

The chief is supposed to get back to me today or tomorrow with his answer.

My current doctor has no openings for three weeks and, despite my numerous phone calls describing the urgency of this, won't see me unless someone calls to cancel an appointment.  My only other options are paying out of pocket to see someone else (which I can't afford to do) or going to urgent care or ER, which won't really accomplish anything.

I can't even explain how I'm feeling right now... I guess it's pretty easy to imagine.  I'm angry, bitter, sad, a bit depressed, and frankly, exhausted as hell.  I can't believe this is happening NOW.  I feel like I just won the lottery, and then someone came along and snatched the winning ticket away from me.  

Anyway, thanks for reading and thank you for this website, it's nice to know there are other people out there who understand what this is like.  

IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 2:13pm »

Hiya  

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to the doc  
http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf
It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!  

If you want an abortive with the least amount of side-effects O2 should not only be requested but demanded from your doctor!!!  
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm  

I have recently been using Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"  
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753

Best of luck!!!

I'm in a field where I need my whits too!
Always need my noggin and to be clear of pain.
Kids lives are in my hands.

Try to get into a GP ASAP if not your neuro and ask about Imitrex injections or Zyprexa as an abortive.

You'll be looking at 7 minutes of pain before being home free.

I have chronic CH and manage to go about my days for most part without problem...do whatcha gotta do...have an attack >>abort>> back to business.

Don't let this thing keep you away from the dream.
DO NOT!!!

Call the chief back and see if you can start!

Good luck and stay positive!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 6:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You have an advantage, you have O2 around all day. Don't let this rule your life or dream job. Take control.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 6:31pm »

If you see a dude by the name of "gfdfirefighter" logged on the board, send him a private message (Top right of your screen) ....He will answer any questions you have about being a Jake with CH, hes a good guy!

Sorry to welcome you, but welcome aboard!!

................................jonny
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 9:54pm »

PLease DO NOT let this keep you from your dream job!

Maybe you can go to a clinic or a minor ER to get a script for the meds you need. It may not be a wasted trip. Sometimes you can actually call in advance to see if they know how to treat clusters. If your doc dosn't have an appointment find one that does. Don't give up! call every day until something is open.  doctors are supposed to have appts available for urgent visits/emergencies....this is an emergency.you are hurting!! and YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!

Let us know how you are doing,
Be well and Pain Free,
lionsound
IP Logged
LH
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 1:19pm »

Thank you all for your responses.   I saw my dr. today, which didn't go well - he clearly doesn't know much, if anything, about cluster headaches. He wouldn't prescribe anything for me other than Relpax (eletriptan), without me seeing the neurologist.  Not even oxygen! I'm seeing the neurologist next Tuesday, and hopefully I can stretch the last few tanks of O2 that a friend of mine was able to get for me.  Again, thank you all for this great board and for your replies - I think I just a few words of encouragement!
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 4:26pm »

on Nov 15th, 2005, 1:19pm, LH wrote:
just a few words of encouragement!

Thats our specialty!! Grin

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss