Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi folks! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi folks!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi folks!  (Read 669 times)
annieb
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Hi folks!
« on: Nov 19th, 2005, 1:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My name is Anne, and I'm a newbie...

About a week ago I started getting these awful headaches. I thought my (right) eye was gonna burst open. I thought I was crying bloody tears (it's hard to imagine such pain with no blood). I've only had four really bad "headaches" in this past week, but have had a dull ache on the right side almost all the time. Last night was the worst... I was at the boyfriends house when one came on. I worried it out and went to sleep. About an hour and a half later I woke up with more eye-bursting pain.

I know that no one here can offer me medical advice. I have an appt. on Wednesday for that. But honestly, I'm scared and one thing that I've learned in my short life is that you've gotta ask for help and support in order to get it. So, if you've got a minute I'd love to hear how you all get through the scary moments (that turn into weeks). So far all I have is a wonderful boyfriend and some info from the Web! I wish you all pain-free days and nights!

Thanks, I'll let you all know how the Dr's turns out.

Anne
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

Re: Hi folks!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 1:15am »

Hi Anne

Barry from Australia here welcome & with any luck you may not have CH.
Go to the links to the left do the Cluster Quiz it will give you an idea of what to expect.
Read read & read again there is a mountain of info here and everyone is ready to help any way we can.
You say you are going to the Docs on Monday, print off as much info as you can from here and take it with you not all GPs or Nuro's are up to date with CH and most hav'nt even heard about it, they may need to learn along with you.
Hope every thing goes well for you.

Kind regards & PFDs
Barry

IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 2:53am »

welcome aboard Anne
sorry you are suffering but you really have found the best place as always i will just confirm what Barry has said ...read read read ask questions read some more print everything before you see your doc,but most of all stick around there are lots of laughs(we're all mad as hatters Wink ) lots of hints and tip and most of all LOTS of lovely people who not only listen but UNDERSTAND
ian
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 8:10am »

Hi Annie,

Take the quiz and see what happens.

For now......

Not all treatments work for everyone and being that you have no meds @ this point nor have you been officially diagnosed, there are a few things that might be able to give you some relief non-medicinally.  

Some tricks that I used to use and sometimes still do are:  
*Wrapping a bandana tightly around my skull (be careful)  
*Filling a sink with scaulding water creating a steam bath and placing my head over it with a towel covering  
it.  
*Going from Steam to Frigid shower.  
*Standing infront of A/C  
*Icepacks or frozen veggies on the back of the neck or eye  
*Tons of STRONG coffee

Pain free wishes to you and gather as much info as you can!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 2:11pm »

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

----
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 7:53pm »

Welcome Anne.  You really need to get a firm diagnosis from a doctor, preferrably a neurologist that specializes in headache.  An MRI to rule out anything sinister in the old noggin is a very good idea.  

Another thing to consider is a headache journal.  Track the date, time it starts, time it ends, pain level on a scale 0 - 10 (10 being the worst pain you have ever felt in your life), what actions you took to try to stop the pain (otc/prescription meds, ice, heat, banging your head, etc), you may also want to record the weather and anything you had to eat or drink just prior to the headache coming on.  This information will help the docs narrow down the diagnosis.

Good luck to you.

IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 6:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Welcome Anne, sorry you had to come looking for us.

Gator has given you some excellent advice ~ Use it!

Pain Free Wishes

UNsolved
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss