Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « IMITREX? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   IMITREX?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IMITREX?  (Read 568 times)
Jubileo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

IMITREX?
« on: Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone: I posted this weekend to find out if what I am experiencing is really cluster headaches.  I went to see my ENT doctor who had ordered CT scan of my sinuses and they came back with no problem so she said it must be a migraine.. but I wont be able to see the neurologist until December 1.  In the meantime, sheprescribed IMITREX. I have a question.  Right now I am so stressed out that I dont know if its all in my head or what but I did not feel that pill I took help me at all... Is this possible? I took it after I went to the doctor and once I had had the pain all day.   Also, could it be that  I have is another kind of headache and thats why the IMITREX did not work?
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: IMITREX?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:29pm »

Hello Jubileo,
Have you taken the cluster quiz under the button on the left side of your screen?

Imitrex is a migraine med. If you were suffering a migraine attack it should have worked, in my opinion.

Imitrex will also work for clusters. It is an abortive and not a preventative. It is taken at the first sign of an attack. Most cluster people say the pill is to slow to use for them and the injections are best, quickest way to relief. Check under the imitrex tips button on the left for hints on its use.
Let us know more about your pain(s) and be sure to check in after your neurologist visit.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:42pm »

Jubileo,
If it is clusters you suffer from the pill isn't going to do you a bit of good, by the time it gets to the digestive tract to be absorbed, the pain is going to be over.  That's why the pill form is not usually prescribed for CH use, rather the nasal spray form or auto injector is prescribed, as soon as you squirt it in your nose, or put it in a muscle, it is in the bloodstream and in circulation.  Another possibility is the Imitrex may not work for you, it isn't 100% effective for 100% of sufferers.  Like Bob G said, check the links for more info on trex.  Best of luck.....
IP Logged
paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 7:05am »

Hi Imitrex pills didn't work for me and i haven't tried the nasal spray yet ( I have a script ready for the next cycle), but O2 did work for me. Maybe its a bit early to start talking about O2 before you actually know what you are suffering from. You say once you took the pill you had pain all day. Cluster HA's don't tend to last that long, so I hope for your sake you don;t have them, but I'm no doc or neuro.

Good luck on Dec 1 hope your neuro is good and knowledgeable. Like the others have said take the quiz on the left hand side of this site.

Paul
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2005, 4:51pm »

Hold up  there!!
I will not argue that the injector is the most effective in aborting aCH, but do not count out the Inhalers and pills. They do work on some people with dosages being variable and time of ingestion,intoduction to the blood stream variable as well, this is all critical to its sucess. I prefer the stat-dose, however at the beginning of an episode I feel an injection for a shadow is like killing a fly with a hand grenade, and in this case one may consider an oral dose. These are less harmful than the injectors.
This would be followed by the hammer (injector) two hours later. I would in any case get the neuro on board. Let him do an MRI. If he doesn;t order one, ask why. Hope you have migraines. All the best with the neuro'
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25th, 2005, 11:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't know what kind of headaches you have, but the Imitrex pills and nasal spray are both useless to me. Only the injections work.

UNsolved
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss