Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 12:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « dog attacks »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   dog attacks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: dog attacks  (Read 770 times)
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

dog attacks
« on: Dec 29th, 2005, 11:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Been hearin on the news about alot of dogs bein attacked outside of Cleveland around the metro parks and other areas. People are finding there dogs that were in fences or tied up TORN UP.....some had to be put down and others pretty chew'd up.....sum missing but no one heard a thing even with ones attacked next to the house....they are sayin they don't know WHAT is doin it. I 'highly' suspect coyotes and maybe they jus don't wanna cause a panic and say nothin yet. Brad went to a seminar about them when we heard they were goin to be an issue everywhere and dangerous.....they attack so fast no one knows what happen'd ! But they also warned when food supply runs low for them (turkey's and squirrels and rabbits) they WILL start to stalk pets close to homes and even humans IF they have to esp if they have pups to feed in there dens. But the humane society 'wanted' to get them protected and no one be allowed to hurt one......EXCUSE ME !!!! They say sumday they will be killing kids if hungry enuff....only a matter of time. Thee's alot around and there breeding with domestic dogs causeing ferile ones not as afraid or humanes....a freind that has a big kennel says he see's them out near the woods duein the day and hears them at nite !!! They scare me.....they have been climbin fences to get pets. Gettin ones on a chain is TERRIBLE.......anyone ever have to deal with them ? They are said to be in my area.....I have a 6 foot chain lenk fence but I have sum outside cats missing (could of commited vehicle homicide and alot of them are ferile but I don't want them hurt or eaten).....I've not seen any coyotes tho and don't want to. Wild FANGS Pam
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2005, 11:29pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Sean_C

Email

Re: dog attacks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 11:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

We have'm too Coots, they're even in the City.  

If you see one attack one of your farm animals, I believe you can shoot to kill. I believe the only time you can't is if there on the Endangered Species list which they're not as far as I know.

Hopefully they'll leave you guys alone.

Sean...............................
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 11:56pm »

In the country we have wolves and wild pigs. We kill both - there's a bounty on wolves I think (at least there was). Haven't had much trouble in the city. We did have some ruthless policemen when I lived at the lake who would round up dogs for no reason and use them for target practice (political reasons - but they're doing something else now - got 'em laughing about it on the police radio band - on tape!)  

My dogs are house pets, so they stay pretty well close to home, but we're moving to the country again so... I guess the old .22 will come out of mothballs... again. I'm just overprotective of my pets.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

..Danielle..
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Water and ice are my friends

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 1:33am »

When my boys were smaller,  we had one come right to the front of our house, while we were outside. Scooped the boys up and got them into the house, and told my redneck hubby about it. Since the beastie was at the front door and growling, he leaned out the dining room window with the .22 and made sure the boys and I dind't have to worry about that one again.

That same week, our neighbour had sent his hired hand out to the cattle pastures to get rid of some of the coyotes and the man killed 77 in 3 days...holy crap !

They still come through the yard at night, but haven't had any more close encounters.

Danielle
IP Logged

Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow. -Helen Keller
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 2:28am »

When I had a ranch near Tuscon, I had a pack of coyotes roaming around every day and howling at night. They're pretty smart when it comes to preying on domestic dogs. A female coyote in the pack that was in heat would go near the house with her scent, then lure a male dog about 50 yards from the house for sex, then the rest of the pack would close in behind it between the dog and the house, and eat it .

BB
IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 6:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

at the other plant a couple of ladies were feeding this one particular coyote next to the warehouse. It lost its fear of humans and nipped at a  different woman. The gaurds shot it. The two ladies that were feeding them filed a complaint to get the gaurd fired. In my view, those two women got that coyote killed.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2005, 6:40am by Mattchew » IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 11:58am »

That was probly what they call a FERILE coyote muff..........they are part domestic and can be MORE DANGEROUS cuz they aren't as afraid of people and will get close....but....then there insticts are also still in them and they will bite or attack at will if a feeling to do so hits them. And there mixed up cuz of the mix.....they can be friendly one minute and aggitated to bite the next and who knows if they would go into full coyote attack mode or run off. The mix'd ones can be worse. Supposidly they hate the smell of humans like we do skunks and they STAY as far away as possible even when prowling they normally stay out of our range. But when hungry cuz there food supply is about gone with wild stuff they are changeing. The thing that scres me is THIS was predicted several years ago and is comeing true now cuz the packs are so big near rural neighborhoods and towns. SEEMS TO ME they were planted here years ago for some sort of population control for some other critter and it got carried away. They did that with quail years back and let too many go.......then they let baby rattlesnakes loose in the heavy wooded areas to kill the excess quail and some other small wild bird that was in over abundence. Well we had a few mild winters and GUESS WHAT.....some of the snakes survived which they never thought would happen. They have warnings up that IF you ever see one to call a particular number ASAP. Then they for sum reason supposidly released coyotes to kill down a surplus of rabbits or 'whatever' cuz they were TERRIBLE in alot of areas for a while and bad for fleas ect. But the dogs mixed with wild dogs and the packs grew and animal protection agency tryin to protect the very animal that may start stealing babies in the near future and attacking pets next to homes in fences or even get into houses if starveing. Scarey thought how things can work....MANMADE bloopers Pam  

They worry me.....have heard how lightening fast they attack and you didn't even know it was there......a baby would be chow before you even heard it cry and the dogs are probly lured to sounds of babies since puppy's crying and whineing attrack them.
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 12:27pm »

Always hearing reports of Coyote activity in the woods surrounding my home.  I spend a great deal of time out there and Coyotes absolutely not - have never seen even one.  

What I do see are a lot of tracks and mixed packs of dogs that appear to have little get togethers now and then.  Not even ferile - just domesic dogs that owners allow to run that gather in loose packs.  It's their natural instinct to gather in packs when they can and they can be quite destructive to wildlife and probably other small domestic animals.  

Surprisingly when I've encountered these packs they have been consistently highly friendly to me even though I am quite on guard as they approach and I am always ready to shoot if is see aggressive behavior.

If ya' own a dog - keep it within the boundries of home and don't let them run or they will revert to their natural behavior when given the opportunity.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 1:02pm »

I get a opossum in my yard now and then. There's one you never go near. My neighbor has one of those yards so full of foliage that I never know what will turn up. Deer every winter in the city, it seems. Starving.  

I had a woodchuck that lived under my garage for months. He was so fat that I could outrun him. Good for him that I kinda liked the little twerp. Funniest thing I ever saw.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:29pm »

Coyotes are pretty common throughout the nation, in the west there is a breed of wolves that are commonly mistaken for coyotes and regularly get shot or shot at by ranchers. Those however ARE an endangered species, whereas the coyotes you speak of I gather are currently NOT. In which case, coyote season in MOST midwest states is almost perpetual, and there is NO bag limit. In fact, the only true "limit" I have heard of regarding coyotes is whether or not you can use vehicles to hunt them...which is not uncommon, the principle is similar to herding deer onto a hunting ground.  
  If you are worried about it, I would contact the DNR (department of Natural Resources) and find out specifically what your options are as far as eliminating them... since you breed animals you could probably get a licence to kill them as they can be considered a "niussance" (sp) and may not even NEED a licence, all depends on the state law. But its worth looking into...

We got em here, and now and then I hear em in the night killing various creatures, dunno what they got last time but whatever it was screamed like a person. I've heard Rabbits scream... but this was uncanny like there was a murder next door....scary.

Peace Out,
 'Bus
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 12:49am »

Oh dude that would of just freaked me out to hear them things KILLING stuff.....yeah rabbits scream but cats do too.......oh man that is BAD !! I've not seen any coyotes yet but everyone else says they have. Were down in a valley with a valley with creeks behind the house cut thru the hills. Kind of dark and scares me cuz my big dog run goes out back but is 6 foot fence which probly wouldn't stop one if hungry enuff. Wanna get a light up that shines on the back yard for nitetime.....I have lights on all around the house all the time anyhow but need one out back too. Cuz I hear the dogs go OFF sometimes and run out the dog doors and it gives me the CREEPS thinkin one mite be LURKING. Really creeps me out !!! Creepy critters Pam

Charlie woodchucks (groundhogs) do alot of foundation damage.......not sumthin ya want around a building liveing like that. We have some out near the barn that dug holes under stalls and under barn walls big enuff for me to climb thru......not cool at all !!!
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 2:17pm »

Cootie:

I know woodchucks can make a mess. This thing moved into something else's former subsurface dwelling under the garage floor. The little twerp liked to tease me. His head was always sticking out when I came home. So far as I know, the chuck was the first thing to move in since I lived here. There is a hell of a tunnel there, mostly from sloppy construction and erosion.

Silly me, when he first showed up I called animal control and the guy thought I was a son of a Dachau SS guard when I asked him if the shot them..... "Oh no. We trap them and let them go in the country." .... Sounds whacked to me but I suppose kids look at things differently. Anyway, he never did return to do so and my little fat friend disappeared shortly after.  

Moles are a bigger problem. Every now and then I off one but it's a losing battle. Neighbors have a new cat though. He had a field day this fall. More power to tabby.

This has been a kinda interesting thread in any case.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Phil L
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

. Re: dog attacks
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 8:52pm »

I live in a big city near an open area and once we had
a coyote  poke it's nose in my yard and decide to eat my dog. Dog made noise like a banchee. Stupid me, went out back with an old K-Bar to kill it. Lucky for me it ran off. Could have shot it with my 45. but no, had to grab the knife. Some things we just never grow out of.

Happy New Year everyone. May it be safe, fun, happy and PF.

Phil
IP Logged

When I get up in the morning and have to look down to see the grass
I know it's going to be a great day.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 5:50am »

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

alchemy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

get out of my head

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 11:05am »

on Jan 1st, 2006, 5:50am, Jonny wrote:

that is to funny
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 4:56pm »

Looks like Garfield found the sterioids. Wiley looks good on the rocket LOL. Where do you get those photos?
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss