Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 11:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Observations »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Observations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Observations  (Read 685 times)
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Observations
« on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Normally, I unlock the door, click on the flashlight and head down the hall to refuel the generator in the courtyard.  I decided instead to peek into the apartments which were broken open and marked with the results of the search.

I have taken over the duties of others who are on vacation this week.  When I walked into these units I was stunned to see time as it was four months ago.  Calanders on the wall with appointments, birthdays and when to pick up the prescription....  Fishing rods leaning in a corner, socks on the floor and a jar of pickles on the counter.  They left at the last moment and had no time to clear out the sink or remove left-overs from the stove.

It was hard not to notice the smallest of details, the smells...surreal is not even close. A moment in time and a sad monument to the belief that it can't be that bad.

The building will likely be condemed.  It's really not safe now.  We will try to get the facility generator up so the residents can at least come in and save what is worthy and not reuined.  

Steve G

IP Logged
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

Re: Observations
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:10pm »

Steve - with those few words you surely painted a picture for the rest of us.

I can't even begin to imagine what some of those poor folks have been through.

Thank goodness there are people like you out there who have worked their butts off to help.

Carol
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:24pm »

on Dec 30th, 2005, 9:10pm, Grandma_Sweet_Boy wrote:
Thank goodness there are people like you out there who have worked their butts off to help.

Man, do I second that.....
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:38pm »

on Dec 30th, 2005, 9:07pm, stevegeebe wrote:
 We will try to get the facility generator up so the residents can at least come in and save what is worthy and not reuined.  

What do you think they are waiting for? For you to send it to them? If you can find it with a flashlight, so can they, if they come back. Most won't IMHO.
My hat is off the you and everyone that stayed (or returned) and are trying to rebuild your city.

I'd like your comments on my blog Steve. If you haven't seen it:

http://www.obscuredview.blogspot.com/

BTW, I'm beginning to get a crew together to volunteer at the zoo. Working on a place to stay nearby.
They have very few employees left. Last week the zoo curator was renting strollers all day.

Is it true that the zoo and aquarium had planned ahead for all this and had their generators working to keep everything alive, and the fuel was confiscated by the police?

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 10:19am »

Good work Bob. Trying to explain with words and photos is difficult.  You have done a good job recording with both.  

As you said, it's hard to really comprehend the magnitude of this unfortunate event. To stand in these neighborhoods and see it all around you...block after block of destruction where everything is dead.  Everytime I go back I think that the lump in my throat will not return but it always does.

We only manage the property referenced in this thread.  It is owned by others who are waiting to settle with the insurance company and determine the next action. This facility housed folks that you likely saw at the Dome.

Your mention of the fuel issue at the aquarium and zoo is the first I've heard of this. It is possible as I saw many abandonded cars with the gas caps broken off. If so, they were likely relegated to diesel.

Are you in town now?  Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.  Let's go eat. It would be great to meet you and shake your hand.

Thanks Bobw and again, good work.

Steve G
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 1:25pm »

We still see pictures of the destruction that is still left. It makes me sad.
But, messages from people like Steve and Bob make me smile. It’s that attitude that will bring New Orleans back to it former glory.
Thousands of people have left, never to return. Tons of thousands of people remain and will return.  
New Orleans is a unique city, unlike any city anywhere. The culture, the way of life, the attitude of the people will rebuild that fine place. It’s going to take time, money and sweat but the people will make their home bigger and better than ever before.
Good luck and Happy New Year to the wonderful, unique people of New Orleans.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
alchemy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

get out of my head

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 3:04pm »

your words really put into perspective what happened to you all down there. mine and my families prayers go out you.      jim
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 3:05pm »

Vivid Steve.

It's important to keep this in mind too.  

Cable news has short attention spans when it comes to natural disasters. Now for a kidnapping in Aruba, Now there's something that's important......  

Nice posting kids.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 3:46pm »

on Dec 31st, 2005, 10:19am, stevegeebe wrote:
Are you in town now?  Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.  Let's go eat.  
Steve G

Hi Steve, and thanks for the comments.  

No, I'm back home now, shoveling snow in Illinois.  
Not sure when I'll be back yet. Still working on putting together the next trip.  
My daughter has been coordinating some work with animal shelters and fostering pets, so now we're a little involved in the animal end of things also.
My friend stopped by the zoo before leaving to come back for the holidays and spoke with the curator. The place is in shambles (just like everything else) and is down to a skeleton crew. We figure we can do some work on building fences, removing trees etc. My daughter on the other hand, wants to feed (and pet) the animals Wink
When the fuel was confiscated, all the animals that needed, heating, air pumps, filtration etc, died.
The curator has sort of circled the wagons and is determined to restore the zoo. I think it's important, especially to the kids of New Orleans, to help the guy out.
It takes us a while to get things organized. I'll let you know when we head back down.  

"On the turning away
From the pale and downtrodden
And the words they say
Which we won't understand
"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"
[P.Floyd 1987]

Happy New Year Steve. Things will get better. Millions of people are not turning away.

Bobw
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2005, 3:48pm by Pinkfloyd » IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 2:41am »

on Dec 30th, 2005, 9:07pm, stevegeebe wrote:

It was hard not to notice the smallest of details, the smells...surreal is not even close. A moment in time and a sad monument to the belief that it can't be that bad.

Bless your heart...    Cry   I know it's been tough.

I hope you and Dianne have a great New Year...for sure you deserve it.

I owe you a return phone call...I got the message on my cell ph the other day.   You're so sweet for thinking of me.    

Much love to you, my dear friend...

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss