Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 2:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « fosamax »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   fosamax
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: fosamax  (Read 387 times)
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

fosamax
« on: Jan 1st, 2006, 9:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone takein it....it's calcium stuff with vitamin D for first stage (level 2 I think) of osteoporosis bone crap !? Do guys take it too or need to ? Wierd stuff.....directions say ya drink water proir and wait a bit then take it ....and then ya CAN'T lay down for a half hour ? What's up with that ? I don't get it. Got samples for now but wonderin what THIS IS GONNA COST ? Loss for bone Pam  Undecided

Thanks for any or all info

edit: spellin sucks ta hell and back.............
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2006, 9:46pm by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: fosamax
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 1:56pm »

I've never taken it but I know a bit about it.  One of the potentially troublesome side effects of Fosamax is heartburn and acid reflux.

Quote:
directions say ya drink water proir and wait a bit then take it ....and then ya CAN'T lay down for a half hour

These directions are probably to minimize the possiblity of developing troublesome acid reflux.  My mom couldn't tolerate Fosamax.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:09pm »

Pam..I can not resist your threads.

I have no answer to your inquiry...?

"spellin' thing"...my kinda a person!

Steve G
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:47pm »

Hiya Coots,

It's definitely for the reflux....to avoid even sitting down after taking it.  Like Steve said, a lot of people can't tolerate it because of the bad heartburn it gives you.  That's the biggest reason people quit taking it.

Did you have that DEXA scan for bone density?  Are they having you take this for osteopenia or osteoporosis?

My family doc asked me once if rheumatology was going to put me on it for lost bone density, but I have very bad reflux, so it's probably not a good idea for me!

Hugz,
Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 1:29am »

Thanks for the info guys......I haven't taken the crap yet and dunno if I want to....doc had me start over the counter calcium with vitamin D and I fineally put two and two together IT was what caused the TERRIBLE gawd aweful heartburn where my lips felt like a cartoon. I did a little bit of peuk walking too (like sleep walkin but yer not sleeping !!!??) and about freaked out big time and now I KNOW that's what caused it so I doubt I can tolerate the script stuff ! Doc prescribed it for early stages of osteoporosis in hip and spine. So now what ? Everything has been one big HEARTBURN in the ass anyhow Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 2:57am »

Pam good to see you back. Grin
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 10:08pm »

Hey Pam... Seriously here look up the side effects before taking that med... I know how much you treasure your bum length hair.  One of the down side side effects is losing hair.  One of my clients nearly lost the whole top of her head hair.  I know not all people get the same side effects but we know for a fact that the fosamax caused hers.... check it out or find someone who is on it and askem.....love to you Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 3:33pm »

Oh NO WAY.....hair loss......takes me a half hour to wash and condition mine and hours to dry totally....I need a full time aid jus to comb it out......sure the hell don't wanna take lill white pills to help one thing and LOSE anouther. Oh yeah ya build new bone and become a bald female with only facial and chest hair with heartburn throwing up everytime ya bend over.....may the FORCEMOX be with you Pam  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 4:56pm »

Cootie,
What kind of calcium did the doc tell you to take?  A lot of people cannot take *plain* calcium tablets without developing stomach problems.  What you need to do is talk to the pharmacist and get them to show you which calcium supplement you could take (I believe it is called *chelated* or calcium citrate).  Also, you don't *need* vitamin d as long as you expose some part of your body to the sun for at least 15 minutes a day.  You can also build bone density by doing  weight bearing exercizes and walking every day. Also, I don't know if your doc told you *how* to take calcium supplements.  You should most likely be taking a minimum of 1200 mg a day in two separate doses, one in the morning and one in the evening.  If you take it all at once, your body can't metabolize it and it'll go right out the body without being absorbed.

Oh and btw, don't get sucked into buying the expensive *brands*.  They are mostly the same.

'darlin
IP Logged

If it weren't for the gutter, y mind would be homeless.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v123/tribander_3/

You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work.

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 5:17pm »

Doc told me to buy Citrical and take two twice a day WITH vitaman D.......it is a calcium citrate over the counter supplement but he said it is the best otc one. Each tab (horse pill) is 400 IU vitamin D and 630 calcium citrate. Then after a bone density test doc decided it was time for ( I don't drink milk or do alot of dairy stuff) they said I needed to take foxamox once a week (presribed but I got samples I have yet to of tried)....for first stages of osteopororsis crap. I DO work out daily at least 4 to 5 days a week on a weight bench I got about 5 years or so ago. Am pretty dedicated to that and TRYIN to keep things in there perspective places and probly work out a good half hour or so a day plus sum other small bar bells for arms and keepin some shape stuff. I am on my feet most of the day doin stuff and active. Anyhow.....so they still find first stages of the shit with the test......but I tried the over the counter supplelment first waitin on test done and results a few weeks and had AWEFUL heartburn and stomach upset and if I bent over....oh oh......now that SUCKED !! Scared me at first cuz I didn't put two and two together what the hell was goin on. The heartburn was really SEVERE !!!! Even gave me nasty pains and dull headache all the time till I stopped. THEN started to figure this out !? It sure added to the holiday HO-HUM stress Pam

I don't wanna TAKE IT anymore or start the script stuff if it is even WORSE !!!
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 5:43pm »

Do you take anything for heart burn already?  I know lots of people swear by the Prilosec OTC.  I take Nexium, which is kinda like prilosec, but also heals previous damage done.  You may be able to tolerate the Fosamax better if you also take a med for acid reflux, but that's something else to ask the doc about. Wink

Hugz,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss