Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Marlboro Marine faces a tough adjustment back home »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Marlboro Marine faces a tough adjustment back home
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Marlboro Marine faces a tough adjustment back home  (Read 458 times)
Sean_C

Email

Marlboro Marine faces a tough adjustment back home
« on: Jan 3rd, 2006, 8:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

(Jan. 3) - In November 2004, a photo of a U.S. Marine made the front page of newspapers across the country. The picture is still one of the best-known images of the war. But the man himself has moved on, and is having trouble adjusting to civilian life.

Luis Sinco, Los Angeles Times
Lance Cpl. Blake Miller came to be known as the "Marlboro Marine" when this photo made newspapers across the country in 2004.

Lance Cpl. Blake Miller of Jonancy, Ky., came to be known as the "Marlboro Marine" when his picture was splashed across the nation.

The attention didn't get him any special privileges, and he served his entire combat tour before he and his unit were ordered home.

The Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith was there in February when Miller got to hug his mother upon his return.

At the time, Miller told Smith, "I lost a few of some of my dearest friends. People don't understand how you can be so close to someone that you've only known for such a short time but, when you spend a year-and-a-half with someone, you know some things about them their own family doesn't even know about. People say that the Marine Corps is a brotherhood, and you truly do not realize that until you actually need your brothers, and that's when they're there."

But, like many of his comrades, Miller wasn't able to completely put his time in Iraq behind him.

While on duty during the Hurricane Katrina relief effort, Miller suffered from symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and was granted an honorable discharge from the Marines in November.

Miller's life is also different in another way. In June, he married his longtime love, Jessica.

On The Early Show Tuesday, Miller told Smith, "For the most part, I mean, it was a big adjustment (when I got home) just trying to get in that mindset of being able to just roam, run around without fear of being shot at or where to look for danger. … It's unexplainable. I mean, just to go from that mindset to being able to walk around freely and just enjoy it."

Miller said the trouble that arose during his Katrina duties happened on the USS Iwo Jima when a sailor mimicked the whistle of a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG).

"For anybody to duplicate that sound," Miller told Smith, "they've had to hear it. Without even knowing what I'd done until after it was over, I snatched him up, I slammed him against the bulkhead, the wall, and took him to the floor, and I was on top of him."

Miller went into therapy, but wasn't told right away that he had PTSD.

"At first, they thought maybe it was the pressure of being on the ship," he said. "The more doctors I talked to, the more they came to the conclusion that (PTSD) is what it is. … I'm continuing my therapy; continued up until the day I got out (of the service), actually."

And Miller knows he's not alone.

"A lot of guys have had way worse incidents from being in Iraq," he said. "And I guess it just — it troubled me due to the fact that their incidents may have been more severe, and they weren't suffering from the same things I was. I just didn't understand how it could affect me so dramatically and not affect some of these guys. But a lot of them deal with different ways.

"The more and more I talk to (other guys), the more I found out there were a lot of Marines that are going through same or similar emotions. It's tough to deal with. Being in Iraq is something no one wants to talk about."

IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

Re: Marlboro Marine faces a tough adjustment back
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 12:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know first hand the adjustment that these men have to make... I know one son will never be the same.... and one son will never leave the millitary.... its all in the man.

Thanks for showin us the real side of the war and what we will have to contend with whether it ends or not.  Love ya buddy ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Phil L
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 11:27am »

It's called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and is a common and NORMAL reaction to combat, rape or any
severe trauma in which the individual was either a participant or witness to the event. Regarding combat
trauma our known knowledge goes back to the writtings of the Greek and Trojan war's over 2500 years ago. In our Civil War it was called 'Soldiers Heart'; in WWI 'Shell Shock'; WWII 'Combat Fatigue' and after Vietnam the current PTSD. Whatever the name, the resulting emotional empact has been the same throught human history. Killing people is not a natural event and will bend your wire - forever.

In the late '80s Vietnam vets forced the creation of Vet Center's which provide long term readjustment counseling to men and women veterans of all eras. I can tell you from personal experience that it is effective and works. In San Diego there is an organization called Veterans Village of San Diego (VVSD) which provides rehabilitation services to homeless co-occuring men and women veterans. You can find them at www.vvsd.net.

We are already seeing Iraq and Afganistan veterans showing up in droves at shelters, rehab centers, Vet Centers and VA Hospitols all around the country seeking psychological counseling. It's going to be an enormous challenge.

If you'v got a vet at home or know of one who has recently returned from a combat assignment, welcome
him/her home, honor there service and provide them with love and understanding.  

PTSD can take years to surface or be in your face from day one. Either way, help your vet.

Phil
IP Logged

When I get up in the morning and have to look down to see the grass
I know it's going to be a great day.
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 2:05pm »

get to know it.
you might experience it if your CH goes away.

another CHeer for our heroes!

IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss