Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « West Virginia Coal Miners »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   West Virginia Coal Miners
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: West Virginia Coal Miners  (Read 1657 times)
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

Re: West Virginia Coal Miners
« Reply #25 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 1:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Great post gator Cry
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #26 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 1:43pm »

Good posts Gator and Floridian.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #27 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 2:21pm »

Within twenty minutes after the announcement of 12 survivors the CEO knew that it was wrong. TOTALLY WRONG. It was 12 DEAD. But he chose to allow the families and friends celebrate the good news that the miners were alive. FOR ALMOST 3 HOURS he remained silent.

Then he tells the people that their loved ones are really dead. "Oops, sorry, slight miscommunication."

There is an old saying about not killing the messenger.
I think in this case killing the messenger would be justifiable in any court.  
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 3:31pm »

on Jan 4th, 2006, 11:47am, floridian wrote:
the current goverment's refusal

Yep, George Bush killed those folks.

Why not?...He killed 236,000 with his kickass Tsunami and all the blacks with that rock-n-roll hurricane called Katrina.

Who and how many will he kill next? Roll Eyes
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 3:40pm »

I pretty much agree with the whole damn thread.  

Newspapers (although some morning ones pulled a Dewey Defeats Truman) are a nice filter for things like this.  

I'm not very serious about religion but you never know. Ghost and Floridian are right on the money from where I sit and sit and sit.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
floridian

Email

« Reply #30 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 5:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 4th, 2006, 3:31pm, Jonny wrote:

Yep, George Bush killed those folks.

Why not?...He killed 236,000 with his kickass Tsunami and all the blacks with that rock-n-roll hurricane called Katrina.

Who and how many will he kill next? Roll Eyes

Good question.  What I said was "like the current goverment's refusal to cut down on mercury emissions because their coal mining contributors won't allow it."  It is clear that political flunkies in the EPA have over-ruled their own scientists in setting current mercury policy.  

I said that because:  

Quote:
  Washington, D.C., June 14, 2005 – Four leading medical, nursing and public health groups, representing more than 300,000 public health professionals, today filed a challenge to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) power plant mercury rule.  The plaintiffs include Physicians for Social Responsibility, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Nurses Association and the American Public Health Association, all based in Washington.

The medical and health groups are filing a motion for intervention into the mercury litigation initiated by environmental organizations and 13 state attorneys general.  The groups are filing this historic new lawsuit in response to the mercury rule’s serious threat to public health. Physicians, nurses, and public health professionals will ask the federal courts to overturn the weak mercury rule to protect patient and community health and to reduce the risk of toxic ‘hotspots’.

Maybe the American Pediatrics association, the American Nurses Association and the EPA's own scientists all have their heads up their butts.  Maybe hundreds of thousands of health professionals that think that mercury is a major threat to the health of US citizens are wrong.  Maybe no one will suffer from policies that allow more mercury into our air, water and food - policies that are based on coal company money, not the input of the science experts. And maybe no one will die, or atleast the deaths will be so spread out that they are invisible.  

You are so wise, king jonnie, and we are the foolish ones.  From now on, I am 110% behind our Presidnets Clear Skies Initiative!!  How could a policy with such a good name be bad??  

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2006, 5:25pm by floridian » IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 5:28pm »

on Jan 4th, 2006, 5:18pm, floridian wrote:
You are so wise, king

You are kind,but, I bet you say that to all the Kings. Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #32 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 6:52pm »

What it must have been for the families.

I wonder if the "News Stars" are now more concerned about their image or the real life tragedy of the miners and those left behind.

Reality TV...I must need more cause they keep serving it up...live.  

How's this..."and now live to the local dew-drop-in where Anderson Cooper has just downed his third martini", "Anderson, who are you angry with?"..."Who do you blame for this?", "Do you feel as foolish as you seem?"

May the pain pass quickly.

Steve G

IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #33 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 7:40pm »

Mis-communications happen. Especially in desperate situations. I can understand that.

BUT

Allowing men to work a mine that is documented to be unsafe is criminal. Waiting three hours to correct the mis-communication is immoral.  

Quote:
I will almost guarantee the person/persons that miss spoke feel awful for the mistake.

I hope so. I also hope that those responsible for the 3 hour delay are haunted for the rest of their lives.
IP Logged
Phil L
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #34 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 8:06pm »

Until we start to fess up and hold ourselves responsible and accountable, then it will only get worse. We live in a society where it is ALWAYS somebody elses fault and that's just plain unvarnished BS. From the highest political office in the land to the prevailing far left agenda to grammer school when you screw up it's  ALWAYS SOMEBODY ELSES FAULT. If the mine was unsafe, then the owners should be held personally responsible and put in prison. Instead the corporation will be fined and once again, personal responsibility is evaded.

This maybe the wrong place for these comments and if so I appologize.

Phil
IP Logged

When I get up in the morning and have to look down to see the grass
I know it's going to be a great day.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #35 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 8:15pm »

Can we all agree that George Bush did not kill these guys?

Can we?.....Anyone?
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2006, 8:15pm by Jonny » IP Logged

- Guiseppi

Sean_C

Email

« Reply #36 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 8:33pm »

on Jan 4th, 2006, 8:15pm, Jonny wrote:

Can we?.....Anyone?

No one person can be blamed for what happened dude.

However, only change can prevent it from happening again. Agreed??
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #37 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 8:38pm »

on Jan 4th, 2006, 8:33pm, Sean_C wrote:

However, only change can prevent it from happening again. Agreed??

Agreed, I'll get on the horn right now and let ole George know  Wink
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

Sean_C

Email

« Reply #38 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 8:42pm »

on Jan 4th, 2006, 8:38pm, Jonny wrote:
Agreed, I'll get on the horn right now and let ole George know  Wink

I think he's at the ranch. Need the number? Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2006, 8:43pm by Sean_C » IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #39 on: Jan 4th, 2006, 9:07pm »

on Jan 4th, 2006, 8:33pm, Sean_C wrote:

No one person can be blamed for what happened dude.

Controdiction on of what you say? Grin
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #40 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 12:05pm »

Perhaps next time there's a mine accident like this, they won't dick around with remote controlled robots, scambling together mine rescue "experts" from all over the state for half a day, and crappy, outdated vertilation proceedures that caused them to take a total of 41 hours to walk 13,000 feet to get to the miners.  Yeah... I know... It's good to be careful to prevent unneccesary injury or death, but in this day and age, there should be a way to walk a couple of miles underground safely without taking two days to do it.  

But then again, it'd prolly cost the mine owners too much money.  After all... 12 souls is a small price to pay when you consider it'd prolly take hundreds, maybe even thousands, of dollars to actually be prepared for a mine accident.  After all... There's only been 613 U.S. coal mine disasters (resulting in 5 or more deaths) in recorded history, totalling 13,793.  What's another disaster and 12 more souls.

All I know... I can understand that mine accidents and fatatlities were expected and accepted in the by-gones... There just wasn't the technology and resources to do things any better.  But these days we should definitely have the technology and the resources to do something more... It's just too bad these poor mining companies just can't afford it.  Yeah right...

PFDAN....................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
chewy

Email

« Reply #41 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 1:56pm »

Quote:
but in this day and age, there should be a way to walk a couple of miles underground safely without taking two days to do it.    

I think it takes less time for the shuttle to go from the earth to the moon.

At least FEMA wasn't involved. (or were they?)
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #42 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 4:48pm »

hadn't thought of that -- maybe FEMA was involved. sounds like something from them... BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #43 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 6:14pm »

That's it!  

Send FEMA next time. No hasty reports that way.

What a sad story. I just hope there isn't some TV movie about it.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #44 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 6:22pm »

on Jan 5th, 2006, 1:56pm, chewy wrote:

I think it takes less time for the shuttle to go from the earth to the moon.

The Space Shuttle has never been beyond Earth orbit, but I get the point.

I was so happy when I heard the miners were alive.  It brought a tear to my eye.  I can't imagine the agony that the families and friends went through after being jerked around like that.  Criminal.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2006, 6:23pm by fubar » IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #45 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 6:44pm »

Very heartbreaking...   Cry

My piano teacher at Penn State is from West Virginia and grew up in a mining family in a mining town.  When the movie "October Sky" came out, he told me that was  basically his childhood and his hometown life in that film.

A lot of central PA is the same way.  What's sad is the corporate dollars and the lack of responsibility for correcting very hazardous conditions....the people who go to work in the mine every day are the bluest of blue collar lives and basically live a life we can't picture without living through it ourselves.  It really is a totally different world.

Drk...I know you've probably been to that town along the turnpike that has the underground fire that's been burning for years?  All the trees are black, and you can see the smoke...That fire runs through the mines underground and nobody could put it out...so it is slowly swallowing the town.  The mayor is like 90 or something like that, and he said he refuses to move...despite the warnings and danger.  Just a different life out there...

Flo...on the mercury...someone said recently that this woman was eating fish 3 days a week (just one meal a day) - which is hardly unusual, and her mercury level was something like 150, and it's supposed to be between 10 and 20 right?

They say now that pregnant women should not eat seafood due to the mercury, and that a lot of people with chronic illnesses that seem to have no real cure should also look at mercury poisoning.  I ate tuna every day for years...first thought that came to my mind was maybe that's my problem!  But then my grandfather sometimes eats fish 3 times a day and he's 83...  Smiley

The mercury poisoning is definitely NOT good for pregnant women though...and I wouldn't have even known that if they hadn't discussed it at work...  I wonder how many OB/Gyn's are telling their patients to abstain from seafood or if that's yet another warning lost in the shuffle.  I was pretty surprised by it, myself!  Scary stuff out there.........

Carrie
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #46 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 9:51pm »

on Jan 4th, 2006, 8:15pm, Jonny wrote:

Can we?.....Anyone?

OK. And it ain't my fault that Little Joey lost his arms and legs. Sure, I told him to jump in that pool on the other side of the fence at Marine Land.  But it was the sharks that mauled him, not me. Wink  

Quote:
the Bush administration cut 170 positions from MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration) and has not proposed a single new mine-safety standard or rule during its tenure.

Additionally, many regulations aimed specifically at mine safety have been eroded or done away with under the Bush administration, including a 2000 rule titled "Escapeways and Refuges." The rule required all mines to have at least two separate exit paths but was altered shortly after Bush took office by then MSHA head David Lauriski.

Bush himself is nothing more than a bimbo spokesmodel for the Cheney gang - We have a president who has taken more vacation in 5 years than any other president has taken in history. We have what historians of all parties agree is the most active vice president in history.  Can you see their  strategery?? Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice
their love with women all across this country. See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda. You work three jobs? … Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." (- G. Bush - to a divorced mother of three.)
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #47 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 10:02pm »

Floridian,

Where do the quote marks start in that paragraph?  Did he actually say "OB/Gyn" and "love for women" in the same sentence?  

Just doesn't sound right...!
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #48 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 10:13pm »

Yes, the man is a perv. Not sure if he went off his meds, or found a new med that day.  The  speech is available from the whitehouse website:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/09/20040906-4.html
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2006, 10:14pm by floridian » IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #49 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 10:15pm »

That's disturbing....
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss