Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone use prepaid cell phones? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone use prepaid cell phones?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone use prepaid cell phones?  (Read 662 times)
LadyElaine

Email

Anyone use prepaid cell phones?
« on: Jan 6th, 2006, 6:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I Have a cell phone and my contract ended this month. I don't use the thing except for maybe one or two calls a week, when I am out away from home. I just can not see paying $40 a month for something I only use a couple times a week.  
I want one I can just buy a calling card and use. I don't know anyone that have used them, I was just wondering if any of you have them and if they are what I would want? There are so many to chose from. Any one have any advice on this for me?
IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

Re: Anyone use prepaid cell phones?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 7:38pm »

my daughter has one, 20 bucks for 40 min. It would be ok  for emergency use but the minutes expire if you don't use them.
IP Logged
Annette_Emond
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Family Member

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 7:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have used Tracfone in the past- Walmart sells the phone and the cards.    At the time it was perfect for me as I only needed it for a "911" phone while in the car.  At last check- it cost about 17.95 for 30 minutes(units) of air time- hitting the "send button" costs you a minute and it runs until you end the call.  Long distance calls cost you 2 units per minute.  Buying larger amounts of minutes you got a price break the more you bought. You have to purchase a minimum of 30 minutes every 60 days - if your expiration date arrives and you haven't bought  and added more minutes, you lose your phone number, but any unused minutes carry over to a new activation.  They also had some good deals from time to time for extra minutes.  You can go to tracfone.com to check it out for yourself.   The disadvantage is that you also use 'units' on incoming calls as well.  But they have free voice mail, so you don't necessarily have to answer the call, you can possibly wait until you get to a land line for those calls.  I never activated the voice mail on mine, so I don't know if that costs you units to pick up messages.  
Hope this helps some-     Hi Elaine Smiley
IP Logged

Happiness runs in a circular motion..
you can sometimes come back around to what you thought was done.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 8:29pm »

In other words, keep the cell phone and use all you free minutes, E-Baby

You pay out the ass for the prepaid and the phone dies when your minutes run out.  Kiss
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 10:55pm »

I use a Virgin Mobile prepaid phone.
I have to put 20$ on it every 90 days to keep the number and the money rolls over.  That's just the minute to minute plan, they have a couple other plans now.  I have Kaleb on the virgin mobile plan too.  He has to earn the 20$ to "top up" his phone.
To call people it is 25cents per minute for the first 10 minutes, then 10cents per minute after that in ONE 24 hour period.  It's 10 cents per text to send, nothing to recieve them.
It works well for me since I only use the phone when trying to get ahold of Kaleb or I'm at a cluster convention.  I also have no service at home, so I don't NEED to use it much.

There ya go,
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 12:10am »

I use Tracfone.  No contracts or complicated plans, relatively cheap and it's easy to track how many minutes I have left as they are always displayed right on the screen.  I spend about $30 every other month for a 100 minute card and that more than gets me through.

IP Logged
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 8:29am »

Elaine,

Since you said you only use the phone 1 or 2 times a week....then pre-paid would definitely be cheaper in the long run. It all depends on how much you use the phone. If you use it a lot...then a plan & contract would probably be cheaper. But if you only use it for emergencies and a few times a week...prepaid is probably cheaper.

Like Mast, I have Virgin Mobile pay as you go. I get a 20 dollar card every 3 months (like everyone has said, you gotta re-up every 90 days or you lose your phone number...and I never go over the 20 dollar. So cost wise it was  

Phone - Fathers day gift so I don't know the price but probably about 20 dollars. I got a K9 & the website says they're 19.99 http://www.virginmobileusa.com

Minutes - 20 dollars every 3 months.  

Pretty cheap, if you ask me.

Good luck,

Jimmy
IP Logged

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" Slartibartfast

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 12:03pm »

I've got Virgin Mobile, and I spend $15 every 90 days.  If you can't top up before 90 days, the phone will become inactive until you top up.  You have like 60 days once your service becomes inactive before they'll close your account (losing your number and remaining balance).  They also have month to month and year to year plans.  The phone works anywhere the Sprint digital network is available, but there's no roaming, so the service can be very limited if you're gonna been trekkin' the backwoods or mountains or something.  They have camera and mp3 phones available if ya is looking for something like that.  And if you don't like messin' with sittin' on hold for an hour with customer service, or waitin' in line all day at a store, you can away with doin' most of the ordering, set up, and changes online.  The company is definitely gearing themselves towards the youth crowd, but you don't have to waste money on all that MTV and other stuff if ya don't want to.

PFDAN................................... Drk^Angel

P.S.  BTW... If ya decide to go with Virgin Mobile, ya might wanna check into the referral thing with Mast or Jimmy B.  That way, one of 'em may get a little bonus gift for helpin' you decide.  http://www.virginmobileusa.com/promo/referral.do

DA
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2006, 12:21pm by Azrael » IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
LadyElaine

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 2:24pm »

Thanks everyone I saved all the links and hopefully by the end of the month I will make my pick.  
My phone ran me $59.95 a month , Devenys phone was $59.95 a month. The company she worked for took over her bill becase she uses it mostly for work. I just could not see paying $59.95 for 15 minutes of calls a week. I think this prepaid phone card phone will server me better. That should save us right at $95 a month. I love it.

Our new years resolution was to cut back on things we don't need or have to have.  

So far we have cut out a little over $200 a month.  

I will let ya'll know what I choose. I guess  the fair way to pick who will get the referal (if I use that company )would be to pick who posted first.  

They have a phone that I can buy and get the cards at the convient stores I am going to check on also. Not sure who they are by.

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss