Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cleaning my life »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cleaning my life
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cleaning my life  (Read 410 times)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Cleaning my life
« on: Jan 8th, 2006, 4:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Before I left Helsinki and returned to Jyväskylä for university studies on Saturday, I did a major cleaning operation. I threw away lots of papers I don't need and lots of stuff which just had to go. I sold old books, gave away old clothes and shoes and rearranged my room. And, as I realised after I finished, I cleaned up my life on the same time.

I understood that I had hold on to lots of stuff I didn't need anymore. And that I had hoped that some of them would change the course of my life to better, silly me. But now, as I see my whole life differently, I didn't have any use to those things.

I realised that I wasn't attached to material things in the same way. My fave shoes are all worn out and had to go. My fave shirt has lots its color. I have cds I don't listen to anymore... and so on. I loved them while I had them, but I'm not sad to see them go.

But I would be sad if something would happen to our photos. So many irreplacable memories live in those pictures! I had lots of fun watching all old photo albums through and see lots of faces I haven't seen in years.

What a wonderful trip down the memory late... Smiley

Best wishes to everyone and PF life. Smiley

Sanna

IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

Re: Cleaning my life
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 5:34pm »

I get frustrated with the clutter around here and not much storage space and do a "big cleanup/clearout" off and on and just did that myself again last week. I went thru all my clothes and took two huge bags to goodwill !! I had so many sweaters and shirts I could not FIND the ones I wanted to wear......would cause alot of stupid hassle tryin to get ready to go sumwhere and the clutter got rediculous. And funny thing is I never missed ANY of the stuff I got rid of in stages I hung onto so long !! And it is so much nicer to see some form of ORGANIZATION in your life. If you could charge stuff and junk rent I'd be rich Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 5:58pm »

Sanna, I do it every year.  I believe that it is good for the soul.

Stuff and emotions you don't want or use just becomes unnecessary bagage.

Unfortunately I do it at the end of the year to take stock, so it can become quite depressing but also liberating at the same time.  It is easier to rid yourself of possessions than of emotional stuff but all we can do is try and then start fresh again.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 6:13pm »

I'm on a five year plan. If I haven't used it or worn it in five years, it gets tossed. I really don't think platform shoes are going to come back in vogue again and if they do I'm NOT wearing the darn things. Almost broke my neck in them back in the 70s (or was it the 80s - I'm OLD I forget!).  

When the hurricaine hit, I gave truckloads of stuff to the shelters and I still have too damn much stuff. Spring cleaning is going to be SPRING CLEANING this year. Pictures you keep - other things you toss or take to Salvation Army.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 6:35pm »

I am on the 6 month plan, if I haven't used it in 6 months it is gone. My biggest hurtle is getting rid of computer parts. I put them all away in the garage but now I find myself having to go get something all the time, so I guess I do need those. I no longer save broken parts in hope of fixing them someday, now I trash them. Even that has bit me, I just found out that bad keyboards could bail me out of a problem, but they are already gone   Sad so now I may need to look for broken keyboards on ebay.

The point is not to go to extremes either way, of course we all know that the best way to find a use for something is to throw it away, even if you have saved it for 10 years, throw it away and you will needed it as soon as it is gone.

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 6:54pm »

I love cleaning out just to discover things I've saved since I was a child...and then remember the story behind it or the reason I saved it.  Or reading through old notes, letters, etc.  During the last couple years at Penn State, however, my mom urged me to stop saving every little thing from school.  I took 205 credits before I graduated...so as you might imagine, I had a LOT of crap piled up...thinking I was going to need those notes or that textbook someday.  haha  I put together 3 gigantic binders to help me study for MCATs and trashed the rest of my random notes.  I saved a lot of my music stuff because I planned to use it in grad school and for teaching.

When I finished nursing school, we did cut the Jefferson patches off my uniform shirts and donated them to the salvation army.  Not only was it the right thing to do...frankly I never wanted to see those shirts again anyways!!!

I need to attack my desk here...it's become a refuge for all the papers I just pile up everywhere and forget about.  LOL

Hugz and happy new year,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 8:28pm »

on Jan 8th, 2006, 6:35pm, Opus wrote:
I put them all away in the garage  
Opus/Paul

The ever present GARAGE!  A garage is for parking a car in it.  Since I've been married to my hubby, Tarey, for the last 36 years, not once have we EVER parked a car in our garages.  Not once!  Why, you may ask.  Cuz it's full of "stuff" that Tarey just can't seem to part with.  He does not have the slightest clue about how to "put things back where he found them", so everything is just put, in the garage.  He's the world's greatest packrat.  I've begged to be picked to go on the show "Clean Sweep" on HGTV.  They do two rooms.  I want them to tackle the garage and Tarey's office.   Will someone please enter my name??? Pleeeeeze.

Sandy  
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 8:38pm »

Thanks to ebay and the DPW; I'm working on becoming a minimalist.  

Charlie  
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
pollyanna
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 8:38pm »

Because of some unfortunate recent events in my life I have been faced with the same obsitcal.... getting rid of the old to make room for the new. As painful as it may seem to rid yourself of those "things" that you thought you couldn't do without, getting rid of what is acutally clutter seems to cleanse the mind. It has done wonders for me. I agree, however, pictures are things that should last a lifetime -- they don't wear out like old shoes or a dusty cd.

take care.
IP Logged

With every day that passes I KNOW that the world was a better place with you in it! RIP B
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 8th, 2006, 8:52pm »

on Jan 8th, 2006, 8:28pm, Sandy_C wrote:

The ever present GARAGE!  A garage is for parking a car in it.  

LOL, I forget how small some peoples garages are, I did put them on a shelf out of the way.

If the Garage was cleaned out it could easily fit 4 cars in it, but because of the Gravelys in midst of repair spread around there is only room for 1.  

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 1:28am »

Some people find that the new year is a time to make changes or clean out the things that you want to be rid of in your life.  I,personally, use my birthday to do some heavy reevaluating and purging.  It is the time of year I schedule the gyno appointment (gift to me for my BD), mammogram......last year I quit smoking and started to use my tread mill.  (BD is in March so it will be one year soonSmiley  I briefly look the entire last year of my life square in the eye and decide what I'm going to do next.
IP Logged

Nothing is impossible! Just believe!!!!!
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 7:47am »

Everything else can be replaced but photos are priceless and can never be replaced.  

Flipping through old photo albums is always a great trip down memory lane.  What moments we capture on film -what memories those little pieces of paper preserve.  .  

Always bring smiles to everyones faces as we are reminded of how we used to be and can reconnect with faces that now only exist in our past and all too short memories.  

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 8:04am »

The following is from an email, subject: let it go, I received on Thursday, Jan 5.

If you are holding on to something that doesn't belong to you and was never intended for your life, then you need to......

Let it go!!

If you are holding on to past hurts and pains ......

Let them go!!

If someone can't treat you right, love you back, and see your worth.....

Let them go!!

If someone has angered you ........

Let it go!!

If you are holding on to some thoughts of evil and revenge......

Let them go!!

If you are involved in a wrong relationship or addiction......

Let it go!!

If you are holding on to a job that no longer meets your needs or talents .

Let it go!!

If you have a bad attitude.......

Let it go!!

If you keep judging others to make yourself feel better......

Let it go!!

If you're stuck in the past and God is trying to take you to a new level in Him......

Let it go!!

If you are struggling with the healing of a broken relationship.......

Let it go!!

If you keep trying to help someone who won't even try to help themselves.......

Let them go!!

If you're feeling depressed and stressed ..........

Let it go!!

If there is a particular situation that you are so used to handling yourself and God is saying "take your hands off of it," then you need to......

Let it go!!

Let the past be the past. Forget the former things. GOD is doing a new thing for 2006 !!!

Let it go!!

Get Right or Get Left .. think about it, and then ..

Let it go!!

"The Battle is the Lord's!"

(and man o man, was this timely for me!!)
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 11:14am »

And during the process I found a yoga book I had bought from Marks & Spender back in 2001. It's my fave yoga book and I had already thought that I had lost it.

Now I have less stuff and it's easier to control everything I have, which is nice. I still be looking for some piece of paper occasionally, I'm sure, but that's nothing. No more huge paper piles in my house!

Jasmyn, I agree: it was very good for the soul. Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

ExplodingEyeBall
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 11:20am »

on Jan 8th, 2006, 6:35pm, Opus wrote:
I just found out that bad keyboards could bail me out of a problem, but they are already gone   Sad so now I may need to look for broken keyboards on ebay.

Opus/Paul

How many keyboards do you want?

We're up to our eyeballs in them here.

I understand about not getting rid of computer stuff. I still have my first Pentium motherboard.

I don't get rid of guitar parts either except used strings.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2006, 11:21am by ExplodingEyeBall » IP Logged

Just poke out my eye and get it over with!!!
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 3:29pm »

on Jan 9th, 2006, 11:20am, ExplodingEyeBall wrote:

How many keyboards do you want?

We're up to our eyeballs in them here.

I understand about not getting rid of computer stuff. I still have my first Pentium motherboard.

I don't get rid of guitar parts either except used strings.

Thanks, If I do need them I will need 4 more, and I only need the cord with the circuit board inside so I can trick a stupid BIOS  into booting without a keyboard. Maybe I missed a setting somewhere, or Gateway doesn't want their boxs to be run headless. Actually I am short on working keyboards too, I'll let you know soon.

Opus/Paul

PS I still have my first pentuim 100 mhz board too, I saved it becouse it uses an ATX power supply and has 4 PCI slots, might make a good firewall someday.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2006, 3:31pm by Opus » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss